Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > 2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)

Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #41
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

Send a message via AIM to tripsevn7
Default RE: How To: Install GT bumpers. Pics included!

great post, stickied to top for everyones convienence
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

tripsevn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #42
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Hupperware

OK, I did the front bumper cover last night. Did it by myself in about 45 minutes, it's super simple. I have a couple of corrections to the step by step:
1) There are 5 plastic fasteners on each foward fender liner, not six, and three screws per side, not two. The plastic fasteners are in the following locations 2 above the tire holding the front fender liner to the rear, there are 2 near the middle of the liner holding the liner to the wheel well and there is one behind the tire holding the fender liner near the engine at the bottom of the liner. The three screws are on the outside edge of the foward fender liner near the bottom of the bumper cover.
2) The flanged nuts are labled 6 on the diagram, not 5. There are 2 of them per side.
3) You don't need "some screws". Specifically you need N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS and W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS so that you can install 5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE which connects to the underneath side of the bumper cover and to the radiator

Other than those few issues, great write-up!
I'll take your word for it and make the necessary corrections!

Woohoo! I got a sticky.

It seems the place where I host my signature (along with the images in this thread) is down at the moment. I hope no one is trying to understand what's going on without pictures. =O

Epona :: 2005Mustang V6 Premium
Epona II :: 2014Mustang GT
SPARTAN VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #43
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

I've been waiting for weeks for the parts that mount the radiator to the front facia. I have everything else. Does it hurt to do the swap without adding the deflector?

Partially my fault for the delay. I ordered a rear sway bar and there was obviously a delay.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:30 AM   #44
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: amystery2u

I've been waiting for weeks for the parts that mount the radiator to the front facia. I have everything else. Does it hurt to do the swap without adding the deflector?

Partially my fault for the delay. I ordered a rear sway bar and there was obviously a delay.
I actually don't have it on right now. We didn't have the right screws for it, so after driving about 1/2 a mile, I noticed it popped loose and started dragging on the floor. Just need to get it back on the ramp some day.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #45
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Quote:

I actually don't have it on right now. We didn't have the right screws for it, so after driving about 1/2 a mile, I noticed it popped loose and started dragging on the floor. Just need to get it back on the ramp some day.

Cool, If my parts don't come this week, I'll do my swap next weekend. Thanks for the quick reply, I would have done mine this weekend but I started wiring up the street scene wiring harness and discovered I didn't have the tool needed drill the hole for the toggle switch. So another trip to Home Depot to donate more $$$ to the project. Oh well, you can never have too many tools.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #46
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to paulboy16 Send a message via Yahoo to paulboy16

About to Remove My v6 vista blue bumper and install my new GT bumper (when FEDEX arrives) "on truck for deilivery", i just HOPE its the right color... but cant wait anylonger to start working on her. so... if everything goes rong im gonna blame you Spartan! only joking, ive been reading ur steps over and over agen so theres nothing that can go rong, thanx again for your helpfull info, ill put pics up when im thru.

Love Paul

paulboy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #47
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: paulboy16

About to Remove My v6 vista blue bumper and install my new GT bumper (when FEDEX arrives) "on truck for deilivery", i just HOPE its the right color... but cant wait anylonger to start working on her. so... if everything goes rong im gonna blame you Spartan! only joking, ive been reading ur steps over and over agen so theres nothing that can go rong, thanx again for your helpfull info, ill put pics up when im thru.

Love Paul
Haha! Yeah man, after doing it once, I can probably do it again in my sleep. Just remember the all the "DON'Ts." My dad and I made a handful of bonehead mistakes, like "duh," but whatever keeps you guys from repeating them.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #48
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

I installed them earlier and it looks fantastic, soo pleased, wired the lights too, painting the rockers friday when me paint arrives, ill post pics Very soon

Thanx again

Paul

Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #49
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Hupperware
Rear Bumper Cover:
YL8Z16K262H6 : 1 : PUSHPIN RETAINER - BLACK : $6.00
My rear bumper is here! Can't wait to get it installed. Actually, first I'm gonna sand down the bottom lip and paint it a flat black to match my rockers and chin spoiler. Here's my question: all I need is that one pushpin retainer (part YL8Z16K262H6)? Where can I get it? The dealership? Or can I order it online?

Any advice on the painting would be appreciated too. I was just gonna tape off the lip very carefully, wetsand it with 600grit (not all the way to the metal, but enough to rough it up a little bit so the primer really sticks), hit it with multiple coats of duplicolor gray primer, then as many coats of duplicolor flat black as it needs until it looks like the rockers (and the chin spoiler that I'm painting more or less the same way). Whaddya think?

Thanks!
-Tim

C&L CAI
Bamachips XCal2
Vortex Duals
Street Scene GT Grille
3dCarbon Ducktail
18" GT Fanblades
Steeda Ultra Lites
and more...
0to60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #50
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Firstyly the rear bumper is plastic! but i would use a PLASTIC primer.. read the label and find one that says "use with any topcoat", OR u can use an ADHESIAN(sp?) promoter before u Prime it. Personaly.... i wouldnt do what ur planning, if u want a black bottom lip, buy the street scene rear vallence, i think u will end up with a noticable uneven line other wise... just a friendly warning but do what ya like.

Paul

Old 05-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #51
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

Firstyly the rear bumper is plastic! but i would use a PLASTIC primer.. read the label and find one that says "use with any topcoat", OR u can use an ADHESIAN(sp?) promoter before u Prime it. Personaly.... i wouldnt do what ur planning, if u want a black bottom lip, buy the street scene rear vallence, i think u will end up with a noticable uneven line other wise... just a friendly warning but do what ya like.

Paul
Ha! Good call on the bumper, paulboy! Anybody know what kind of plastic it is? I'm gonna paint the chin spoiler first (Fang -- fiberglass), so I'll figure out the basic technique from that, but I wonder if the same primer will work on the bumper...

As far as the uneven line, I admit that I am a little worried it may happen. The way I see it, though, I'm painting only that part of the bumper that already sticks out, so if I add a couple millimeters with paint, no big deal. If I really screw it up, I'll just take it to the body shop and have them redo it. I'm pretty set on the look, though, so I want to give it a try.

Thanks!
Tim

C&L CAI
Bamachips XCal2
Vortex Duals
Street Scene GT Grille
3dCarbon Ducktail
18" GT Fanblades
Steeda Ultra Lites
and more...
0to60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #52
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Quote:

Cool, If my parts don't come this week, I'll do my swap next weekend. Thanks for the quick reply, I would have done mine this weekend but I started wiring up the street scene wiring harness and discovered I didn't have the tool needed drill the hole for the toggle switch. So another trip to Home Depot to donate more $$$ to the project. Oh well, you can never have too many tools.

Well, The modding began Friday afternoon and didn't stop unitl noon today. Started with a rear sway bar kit from KC at Clevanger Ford. Rocker Panels from Diversified Marketing (eBay) and then today did the front facia swap folowing Spartan VI's great post. Then finished off with the wiring up of the fog lights using the Street Scene kit.

I'm so stoked. It corners like it's on rails and astheticly has bumped up a few notches.

Thanks again to Spartan VI. You post was referred to many times. Actually downloaded the page to my laptop and took it to the garage.

Oh and for anyone interest, the modded Street Scene grill I had before will now be up for sale. PM me if you are interested.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27802/1C7C3C7F596A45D1965F9D5E11B435C0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #53
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Right on! Glad it worked out for you. After rereading everything, I made some changes. I used the word "grille" a few times when I meant to say bumper, and tweaked some of the numbers.

Edit: Added some detailed instructions for the rear bumper.. going off of my memory of course, and threw it into the first post. I'll probably rewrite the entire thing to keep it more organized and easier to follow.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #54
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

amystery2u Looks REAL nice man. the GT bumpers look really aggresive compared to the v6's

heres mine.... going to add hood scoop, yellow racing strips and rocker stripes.

http://www.mustangforums.com/albumph...Type=1&apage=1

Paul

Old 05-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #55
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

amystery2u Looks REAL nice man. the GT bumpers look really aggresive compared to the v6's

heres mine.... going to add hood scoop, yellow racing strips and rocker stripes.

http://www.mustangforums.com/albumph...Type=1&apage=1

Paul

VERY NICE PAUL! That Vista Blue rocks. Are you going to do the big stripe done the center with the pin stipes on each side? I was looking at http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustan...pepainter.html and it looks sweet. What hood scoop are you getting?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:52 AM   #56
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT stick

good job with the pics!-

question- do you recall exactly what held the outer corner just below taillight? mine was sticking out a bit when new, moreso lately, tonight I pushed on it while looking in the trunk for something like a loose fastener, and son of a gun if it didnt just pop right into place and stayed there...maybe they just didnt shove it on hard enough at the factory???
69 acapulco blue fastback(in pcs since '84)
65 caspian blue Galaxie 500 LTD 4dr hdtp(gift from old friend/neighbor)

ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #57
vponymike6
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to vponymike6

very cool man
i appreciate this so much, my gt rear bumper will be on its way in just a few days. great pictures, now how about the side rocker panels?? haha, that seems fairly simple though at first glance eh?

06 4.0 manual 5 spd, K&N CAI, pony package, leather, all options

its never good advice
to start to mod your rice
vponymike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #58
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: vponymike6

very cool man
i appreciate this so much, my gt rear bumper will be on its way in just a few days. great pictures, now how about the side rocker panels?? haha, that seems fairly simple though at first glance eh?
No problem, my pleasure! The rocker panels were pretty easy. I just have to pull the 8 retainers (I think it's 8) on the bottom with plyers then unscrew the 2 in the front wheel well. Only thing I should warn you about is the plastic retainers will be destroyed when you rip them out.. so you'll need replacements. AND! Don't be afraid to use force, tear those things out!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #59
jrl80

Hi all, I am new to the Mustang Forums and I will be a new V6 Mustang owner in about 2 weeks. I just had a few questions.....Where can I get the GT body kit...I saw one on ebay but just one that ends in a few hours....How hard is it to install...I skimmed through the directions on this post It looks easy enough but I have never done body work on a car before, and because of my inexperience I do not want to ruin anything....And finally are the rocker panels part of the GT body kit? Thanks for your help.....Sorry if I annoy anyone with my questions but this is all new to me.

- Current owner of a 2000 ford f-150 Harley Davidson Edition

- Soon to be owner of a 2006 Vista Blue V6 Mustang w/ Pony Package
jrl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #60
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Justin_R

You can get the Gt body kit at http://www.newtakeoff.com/ or www.themustanghookup.com And If you order the Gt body kit it should come with the front bumper, back bumper, side skirts, Grill and sometimes even the Gt takeoff mufflers.
Justin_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, 2005, 2006, bumper, ford, front, gt, install, installing, mustang, photos, radiator, removal, shield, v6