Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:15 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install GT bumpers. Pics included!

ORIGINAL: quagmire

Great job on the install! Now how about showing pictures of installing the fog light wires lol
I haven't done that yet. I'm broke, so I'll have to wait a little before I get the harness and switch.

afixer has posted good tutorials for the wiring, though. Do a quick search, you're bound to find them.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:38 PM
FearMyMatrix
1st Gear Member

this should be a sticky
Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FearMyMatrix

this should be a sticky
That'd be sweet! I'd never imagine that I'd post something of "sticky" quality!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:10 PM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

SPARTAN VI, those 6 rivits that you refer to on the rear bumper, where are they? I have looked on my take off's and don't see where they would have gone and on the pdf file that I looked at, it has them listed as bolts no rivits???? Also you refered to an L-shaped screwdriver to remove some screws, are those the ones in the fenderwell? Would taking the wheels off make it to where I will not need that L-shaped screwdriver?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cstigger04

SPARTAN VI, those 6 rivits that you refer to on the rear bumper, where are they? I have looked on my take off's and don't see where they would have gone and on the pdf file that I looked at, it has them listed as bolts no rivits????
Diagram: http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...r%20bumper.pdf

They're located on the wiring harness/brace (labelled 7), the actual brace/wire is hidden and not shown in the diagram. Since the brace is hidden, the rivets aren't labelled. You wont see them on your GT take offs because your GT take offs don't include the wiring harness or brace. You'll see them on your V6.. the long plastic brace for the wiring harness that runs along the bumper to the lights. Take it off your V6 bumper, and put in on the GT take offs with nuts and bolts.

Also you refered to an L-shaped screwdriver to remove some screws, are those the ones in the fenderwell? Would taking the wheels off make it to where I will not need that L-shaped screwdriver?
The L-shaped screwdriver was used for the 4 screws (two on each side) labelled (3) on the diagram. Taking off the rear wheels would eliminate the need for the L-shape screwdriver. Didn't need to use it on the front.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:22 PM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

OK thank you sooooooooo much, I was worried about those rivits. if i disconect the wiring before I remove the bumper I should be ok right?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cstigger04

OK thank you sooooooooo much, I was worried about those rivits. if i disconect the wiring before I remove the bumper I should be ok right?
You disconnect it from the trunk first, bumper wont come completely off if that wire (7) is still connected. So once you set the bumper on the floor, you'll see the 6 rivets on the brace that I was talking about. We used a drill on the rivets, causing them to spin really fast melting the plastic and recover the brace and harness. Then nuts and bolts to fit it on the GT bumper.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Its A Stang Thang
2nd Gear Member

+5 to you!

In early summer I'll be chanign my bumpers for the GT Bumpers, as well as putting in Sequential signals and my custom duals.

Thanks for the tut!
Old 04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Excellent post dude! I actually have my front GT bumper in transit so I will be doing this in the next week or so. Just thought I would add a little info about part number changes that have occured and prices for my area.

The front bumper isolator for the GT has changed to part number 17C947 - $6.20

Fender Sheilds are part number 16102 & 16103 @ $16.08 each.

Radiator mount is part number 8349 @ $30.97

Old 04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
muze one

Let me say that these instructions made the job worry free. Spartan took the time to show us all where the "problems" would be. From drilling out the rivets to finding the clips and screws to loosen up...great job. Mine is done! Front and rear, side skirts, fog lights wired. Dual exhaust installed with H-pipe and GT takeoffs (maybe some bassani SS mufflers soon!).
C&L CAI in the box at home awaiting the tune download then installation. About to hardwire a radar detector and satellite radio with the AUX harness. Maybe some JBA headers in a few months to complete the exhaust. Then maybe I'll be done..?!?
Oh yeah - still have to get the 18" CS66 rims to complete the package (waiting for tax returns...)
I'll post pix soon...

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)