Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

Default RE: How To: Install GT bumpers. Pics included!

great post, stickied to top for everyones convienence
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hupperware

OK, I did the front bumper cover last night. Did it by myself in about 45 minutes, it's super simple. I have a couple of corrections to the step by step:
1) There are 5 plastic fasteners on each foward fender liner, not six, and three screws per side, not two. The plastic fasteners are in the following locations 2 above the tire holding the front fender liner to the rear, there are 2 near the middle of the liner holding the liner to the wheel well and there is one behind the tire holding the fender liner near the engine at the bottom of the liner. The three screws are on the outside edge of the foward fender liner near the bottom of the bumper cover.
2) The flanged nuts are labled 6 on the diagram, not 5. There are 2 of them per side.
3) You don't need "some screws". Specifically you need N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS and W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS so that you can install 5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE which connects to the underneath side of the bumper cover and to the radiator

Other than those few issues, great write-up!
I'll take your word for it and make the necessary corrections!

Woohoo! I got a sticky.

It seems the place where I host my signature (along with the images in this thread) is down at the moment. I hope no one is trying to understand what's going on without pictures. =O
Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 AM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

I've been waiting for weeks for the parts that mount the radiator to the front facia. I have everything else. Does it hurt to do the swap without adding the deflector?

Partially my fault for the delay. I ordered a rear sway bar and there was obviously a delay.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:30 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

I've been waiting for weeks for the parts that mount the radiator to the front facia. I have everything else. Does it hurt to do the swap without adding the deflector?

Partially my fault for the delay. I ordered a rear sway bar and there was obviously a delay.
I actually don't have it on right now. We didn't have the right screws for it, so after driving about 1/2 a mile, I noticed it popped loose and started dragging on the floor. Just need to get it back on the ramp some day.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:31 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

I actually don't have it on right now. We didn't have the right screws for it, so after driving about 1/2 a mile, I noticed it popped loose and started dragging on the floor. Just need to get it back on the ramp some day.

Cool, If my parts don't come this week, I'll do my swap next weekend. Thanks for the quick reply, I would have done mine this weekend but I started wiring up the street scene wiring harness and discovered I didn't have the tool needed drill the hole for the toggle switch. So another trip to Home Depot to donate more $$$ to the project. Oh well, you can never have too many tools.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

About to Remove My v6 vista blue bumper and install my new GT bumper (when FEDEX arrives) "on truck for deilivery", i just HOPE its the right color... but cant wait anylonger to start working on her. so... if everything goes rong im gonna blame you Spartan! only joking, ive been reading ur steps over and over agen so theres nothing that can go rong, thanx again for your helpfull info, ill put pics up when im thru.

Love Paul
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paulboy16

About to Remove My v6 vista blue bumper and install my new GT bumper (when FEDEX arrives) "on truck for deilivery", i just HOPE its the right color... but cant wait anylonger to start working on her. so... if everything goes rong im gonna blame you Spartan! only joking, ive been reading ur steps over and over agen so theres nothing that can go rong, thanx again for your helpfull info, ill put pics up when im thru.

Love Paul
Haha! Yeah man, after doing it once, I can probably do it again in my sleep. Just remember the all the "DON'Ts." My dad and I made a handful of bonehead mistakes, like "duh," but whatever keeps you guys from repeating them.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

I installed them earlier and it looks fantastic, soo pleased, wired the lights too, painting the rockers friday when me paint arrives, ill post pics Very soon

Thanx again

Paul
Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hupperware
Rear Bumper Cover:
YL8Z16K262H6 : 1 : PUSHPIN RETAINER - BLACK : $6.00
My rear bumper is here! Can't wait to get it installed. Actually, first I'm gonna sand down the bottom lip and paint it a flat black to match my rockers and chin spoiler. Here's my question: all I need is that one pushpin retainer (part YL8Z16K262H6)? Where can I get it? The dealership? Or can I order it online?

Any advice on the painting would be appreciated too. I was just gonna tape off the lip very carefully, wetsand it with 600grit (not all the way to the metal, but enough to rough it up a little bit so the primer really sticks), hit it with multiple coats of duplicolor gray primer, then as many coats of duplicolor flat black as it needs until it looks like the rockers (and the chin spoiler that I'm painting more or less the same way). Whaddya think?

Thanks!
-Tim
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Firstyly the rear bumper is plastic! but i would use a PLASTIC primer.. read the label and find one that says "use with any topcoat", OR u can use an ADHESIAN(sp?) promoter before u Prime it. Personaly.... i wouldnt do what ur planning, if u want a black bottom lip, buy the street scene rear vallence, i think u will end up with a noticable uneven line other wise... just a friendly warning but do what ya like.

Paul

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)