Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Paint On Stripe Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint On Stripe Advice

I'm going to get estimates for a painted on supersnake style stripe soon, and I need advice on what to be looking out for and considering.

I have a 2006 Tungsten GT, and I'm thinking about doing a black supersnake stripe with main stripe 18" and .5 in gaps and pin stripes. Is there anything I need to know when thinking about black paint? Is there such a thing as metallic black? Right now I think I'm leaning towards a gloss black, but feel free to suggest any other colors.

Also, I want to get a Roush hood scoop painted black at the same time to blend with the stripe, any opinions on this?

Here are some pics to show kind of what I am thinking about.

Advice, opinions, suggestions?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
1yelogt

Default stripes

my hood stripes are painted gloss black along with the roush scoop and spoilers also. only finished about 3 weeks ago.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

No other opinions?

I went to a couple of places today and most said they don't do custom striping. One place quoted me $450 for the stripe and to wet sand and re-clearcoat all panels involved to make everything seamless. This seems like a low price for all of this, but the shop looked like it was well equipped, and the guy I talked to was real knowledgeable. So what do you all think? I'm still going to go to a couple of other places and see if they could do it and what prices they charge.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

$450 is all right, i am getting two 12" stripes, front to black on tommorrow with the new hood and spoiler painted, but i would check to see if you can find anyone that knows of the quality of their work, especially in paint as there are many different types of "quality"
Old 12-05-2008, 06:42 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I was quoted $750 for the additional paint/labor to have the supersnake stripe painted on my car when I did the conversion. The research I did showed that the dimensions for the supersnake stripe is a 14" center, 1" gap, 1" stripe.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I think the price the body shop quoted you seems very reasonable. I think the Roush hood scoop is a matter of personal preference, and if you like it then get it. The only suggestion or "preference" I might have is to have the stripes painted in a matte black finish rather than glossy, or at the very most a satin finish. I don't think glossy is the best choice for tungsten grey.

I am glad to see you chose the superstripe combo. I really like this look, and it will make your car really stand out when you get it all pulled together.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the advice so far people.

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
The only suggestion or "preference" I might have is to have the stripes painted in a matte black finish rather than glossy, or at the very most a satin finish. I don't think glossy is the best choice for tungsten grey.
That is one thing I'm having a really hard time deciding. It's hard for me to tell in pics what is gloss and what is matte/flat. Would you say both of those pics I posted above are matte? Also, one thing I've thought about gloss, is that it would shine with the rest of the paint, would this not look better? Or would the contrast of the matte against the shine of the paint look better? Maybe its just me, or maybe I haven't seen the best pics, but it's hard for me to tell.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stealth
Thanks for all of the advice so far people.

That is one thing I'm having a really hard time deciding. It's hard for me to tell in pics what is gloss and what is matte/flat. Would you say both of those pics I posted above are matte? Also, one thing I've thought about gloss, is that it would shine with the rest of the paint, would this not look better? Or would the contrast of the matte against the shine of the paint look better? Maybe its just me, or maybe I haven't seen the best pics, but it's hard for me to tell.

The first pic by Baltimore Mods looks like "glossy" stripes to me...the second pic is definitely a "matte/flat" stripe and looks the best to me. My black stripes are painted on in gloss black, but that is because I thought the white needed a little flashier look to compliment it. I think the Tungsten looks AWESOME with the matte black super-stripe~~!

I am not sure if this picture of mine can give you much of an idea, but here's my glossy stripes:

Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Stealth
I'm going to get estimates for a painted on supersnake style stripe soon, and I need advice on what to be looking out for and considering.

I have a 2006 Tungsten GT, and I'm thinking about doing a black supersnake stripe with main stripe 18" and .5 in gaps and pin stripes. Is there anything I need to know when thinking about black paint? Is there such a thing as metallic black? Right now I think I'm leaning towards a gloss black, but feel free to suggest any other colors.

Also, I want to get a Roush hood scoop painted black at the same time to blend with the stripe, any opinions on this?

Here are some pics to show kind of what I am thinking about.

Advice, opinions, suggestions?
I think the super stripe would look great and you can get metallic or pearl added to the main color of the super stripe. Just have the same shop match the paint if you go with pearl or more difficult yet the metallic. I prefer gloss black but I am biased.

The roush scoop in black would look great as well and the whole thing would need to be cleared (3 or more coats) and wet sanded and buffed so there are no edges. Any reputable shop that can give references and show proof of their work will be able to meet your needs. Tell them you want show quality work and you don't want to feel the stripes as they should be buried in clear. Pascal and bodyman are 2 members off the top of my head that can give more accurate quotes as too cost and I how wide are the pins? the gap is good.....(JMO and its personal preference) maybe 1 inch to 1.5 inches for the pins themselves? Hope it helps

Last edited by mygt500; 12-06-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Fordave

Default 2005 mustang gt side skirts and rear bumper

I was on the post and saw a 2007 white mustang with Cervini's parts also has black stripes I could not help but to tell the skirt and rear bumper was from a different body kit and liked it a lot I was wondering if any one new what brand is the skirts and rear bumper I belive the photo was posted by saddleup i really did not want to go with a side exhaust skirt kit that Cervini's offers thanks a lot guys

Quick Reply: Paint On Stripe Advice