Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

smoked turn signals & chrome/amber bulb package from stangmods.com

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Default smoked turn signals & chrome/amber bulb package from stangmods.com

I received my Smoked Turn Signals & Chrome/Amber Bulb Package from stangmods.com today. I installed my 3D Carbon Eleanor grill and my smoked turn signals this afternoon. I have to say the installation wasn't that bad, I tried the short cut at first but couldn't get the clips to release for the grill, so I wound up removing the front bumper, pretty easy. The 3D grill looks great, very happy with the quality and fit, but the smoked turn signals, I am not that happy with. The quality looks great, they should for the money that I spent on them, $135.00 for the turn signal and bulb package. I thought I was paying for quality? Like I said, the look is great, I haven't seen any other turn signals look this good, the fit was great, installation was a breeze, my problem is that the socket for the smaller 194 bulb fits into the housing very loosely, the whole socket actually goes up and down after it is supposed to be locked into position. The larger bulb socket fits tightly but the smaller one on both sides is very loose, I am concerned with dust getting in there or water from when I wash the car. I was going to maybe put another small O ring around the socket when I put it in, does anyone have any input on this? I will post new pictures of my new look tomorrow, oh also in the mail I received my new license plates today also. My car is going to get back the original name from the previous owner, GN IN 60.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Bought mine from ebay for 51.00 inc shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported
Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I seen those, I didn't want to see any yellow or orange in the turn signals, the ones that I bought are smoked with just silver in there, there is no orange color at all, that is the look I wanted, thats why I paid $135 or them, I have no problem with the price, I have a problem with the socket fitting.

THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT THE PRICE, IT IS ABOUT THE 194 SOCKET FITTING CORRECTLY.

Originally Posted by vasman

Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

That's very interesting as I picked a used set of Stangmod clear lenses a couple months ago and had the exact same delimma with the small bulb not fitting tightly or locking solidly into place like the large one. I wondered about the extra silcone that was surrounding the opening and when I asked the seller about it, found out he had bought them used and never installed them.
My car is not a daily driver, so I am not too worried about water leakage... but since I am **** about things like that, I am more than likely going to try a different brand piece as there are several out there in the $40 - 60 range and just write mine to off to one of those not so good deals.
In your case, I would definitely contact Stangmods and find why the small bulbs don't lock into place snugly like the large ones. With a $100 price, they better not have design issue like that!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I feel the same way. I emailed stangmods.com and I am waiting a reply. My car is not a daily driver either, never sees rain, but when I do wash it, I don't want water getting in the lenses. I think an extra O ring should solve the problem, just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. These are the nicest looking turn signals that I have seen, I seen a couple of the cheap ones that are on ebay and I don't care for the yellow inside and another bud has a set he got off ebay and they look like they have a blue tint on the whole light. Stangmods are the nicest, unfortunately there is a flaw in the socket fit.

Originally Posted by Doogie65
That's very interesting as I picked a used set of Stangmod clear lenses a couple months ago and had the exact same delimma with the small bulb not fitting tightly or locking solidly into place like the large one. I wondered about the extra silcone that was surrounding the opening and when I asked the seller about it, found out he had bought them used and never installed them.
My car is not a daily driver, so I am not too worried about water leakage... but since I am **** about things like that, I am more than likely going to try a different brand piece as there are several out there in the $40 - 60 range and just write mine to off to one of those not so good deals.
In your case, I would definitely contact Stangmods and find why the small bulbs don't lock into place snugly like the large ones. With a $100 price, they better not have design issue like that!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Just to clarify, I have found a couple "true clear" sets for the price range I previously mentioned. I am tempted to invest another $50 just to see if I get a set that looks good and has solid locks for the both bulbs.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

I bought my black turn signal lens' from american muscle, the older style ones (without the orange). One of them I experienced the same issue as you, with the smaller 194 bulbs fitting loosely, the other side was a solid fit. It was not loose enough to concern me but the socket where you attach the bulb definatly was slightly oversized and did not hold the bulb in as sercurly as the other side did. Hmm, weird. My car is a daily driver and sees rain and weekly/ twice-weekly washes; so far, no problems. Id try that o-ring idea, cant do any harm as I see it...

Last edited by drfister; 04-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
retro_pony
2nd Gear Member

Vasman, could you please post up some pics of these installed? Very close to what I had been looking at, but no idea what they would ACTUALLY look like...

Originally Posted by vasman

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retro_pony
Vasman, could you please post up some pics of these installed? Very close to what I had been looking at, but no idea what they would ACTUALLY look like...
Sure will do tomorrow morning.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

got mine off ebay for under 30 bucks. awesome quality!

Quick Reply: smoked turn signals & chrome/amber bulb package from stangmods.com