Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

This is a great thread. Thank you for posting!

I noticed that the DIY project focussed only on the portion above the armrest and other posts seemed to indicate that below the armrest is more difficult.

Well mine is now doing this too. I thought I'd like to replace my entire panels with automotive microsuede, using the factory panel as a pattern. Does this sound doable? Or more trouble than it's worth to attempt?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Off topic I know but your speakers look awesome. Wear u get?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

The speakers are pioneer shallow 8"
Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM
jampony06

Both my driver and passenger side doors have done this. I took my car to an uphosltery guy and he did the above treatement. If it were to bubble up and start to peel again, he said to take a needle and inject the glue through the perforated holes in those bubbled up spots. I don't know if this will work but it makes sense. I really don't see how Ford though that this design would withstand the heat and humidity in South Georgia.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Mine peeled this summer and I figured I would pull the vinyl and redo them in alcantara. Needless to say when I peeled the vinyl off, it also took off some of the padding underneath. I don't think I can recover them and still have them look good so I've been rolling around with ugly peeled off door panels. I think I'll let an upholstery shop redo them them at this point. I just wanted to warn everyone. Mine had been bubbled for a while but with the extreme heat this past summer they just peeled bad including the lower seam. Just an fyi so you don't repeat my mistakes.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

SONNIER,

the purpose of this DYI is to save you money from NOT taking it to an upholstery shop and just fixing it yourself...this is a step by step remedy and will fix your problem cost effectively....

as for your padding, the padding will come off and is not good enough to be reglued....just remove the padding from the area that is to be repaired the follow my tutorial on regluinf the pleasther back to the door panel....the finished product will look just as good and u wont be able to tell that there is no padding unless you touch it....
Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I did my driver side recently. At first I tried using this, but it didn't stick worth a crap. Then I used GOOP, and it stuck really well. I didn't even use a brush or anything, just plastered the stuff around the back of the leather and onto the door trim. It turned out pretty well, except for a few bumps here and there where the glue may have bunched up on me. Can't even tell by looking at it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
SONNIER,

the purpose of this DYI is to save you money from NOT taking it to an upholstery shop and just fixing it yourself...this is a step by step remedy and will fix your problem cost effectively....

as for your padding, the padding will come off and is not good enough to be reglued....just remove the padding from the area that is to be repaired the follow my tutorial on regluinf the pleasther back to the door panel....the finished product will look just as good and u wont be able to tell that there is no padding unless you touch it....
Yeah, trying to let others know my mistake as not to repeat it.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
CaptainComet

I would like to re-emphasize for all that if you are using a contact cement in this application, you are bonding a porous surface (the backer board) and a non-porous surface (the vinyl).

With most contact cements you will likely have better luck going heavy on the backer because it will wick up so much of the glue. Go light on the vinyl because it will just sit on top of it.

When I do my passenger side, it will likely be three coats of Weldwood (the first two heavy, last one light) and one medium coat on the vinyl, which will be applied after the last coat on the backer. You want both surfaces to dry to a tacky state.

Carefully follow the directions for the cement you are using, .... I think you will find that they echo what I am saying here.

Expect to babysit the panel for an hour or so, and keep pressing the vinyl into place until it sets up well.

Even though I feel like I know more now and will attack the second one differently, the drivers panel that I repaired has held up very well, and I highly recommend this repair method.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonnier
Yeah, trying to let others know my mistake as not to repeat it.
Ah, I reread your first post and saw that I missed the part where u say u removed the door panel trim to replace it with alcantara so u removed the trim completely so u are riding around with naked doors...my mistake

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**