Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

My GT500 conversion!!!! PERF WHITE

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
Yup. But im waiting for my stock tires to go before I purchase my wheels.

As for the people that dont like the wing thats great. Its not for everyone. Its only for people that understand fluid dynamics and downforce.
And that only applies when you go to the track. How many times have you taken that car to the track? Please... help me understand.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

Oh snap.

Dont get me started on the whole "Only for people who understand down force and fluid dynamics" ****.

1) How often do you track your car? Im willing to bet it is mostly a daily driver. Freeway is the only time your car sees over 60mph. And at the speed, due to the angle of your win, it is BARELY beginning to do ANYTHING to your traction on the rear end

2) For your wing to be truly effective, it needs to ride in the slip stream. Your wing however, does not. Its to low. Go figure.

As a guy who races trackside now for many years, I can tell you your wing doesnt do much, if anything, if you want to get technical.

HOWEVER, im not here to get any one all butt hurt. I dont have a problem with you wanting a wing on your car. Its your car. Do as u wish. But dont get all defensive and snobbish about it, claiming to know more about fluid dynamics (as u call it) when there are MANY people here on this forum that can prove how ineffective your wing is. On a daily car it is usless.

This thread topic is about your front end however, and that...that looks good. Did you do the install yourself? U mentioned having the whole thing done for 1200. That labor/parts and paint, or just parts/paint? Front end looks awesome man. Looking forward to seeing what kind of wheels your getting.

Got any other plans for this car? Engine mods? Suspension? Or just mostly keep it as is? Either way, good luck to ya, and keep us posted!

*side note* If you want, you could get the wing that is detachable. Put it on for track days, leave it off on DD days. I will say this, the car DOES look odd with the wing. If the exterior of your car looked more aggressive, looked more like it was a speed demon..then the wing would fit in better. But your car looks mostly stock, so the wing DOES stand out.

Last edited by guitarist4life; 11-27-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 AM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

You are absolutely right. However whenever someone says an ignorant statement saying it belongs on civics. That absolutely pisses me off.
1) I havent tracked it yet. I am building towards that goal. I want to have everything in line before I attempt it. Yes I realize it will not do much until you reach hwy speeds +. But I do notice a difference at freeway speeds. That is enough for me to want it on my car as it is. As to say it doesnt do much if anything is wrong. This isnt one of those ebay wings. This was built using CFD w/ real data. This is a roush track pak takeoff wing or basically an APR performance wing. Granted its an entry level wing and isnt gonna produce as much downforce as their high end ones. But I got it at a great deal and is functional which is the reason why I run it.

2) yes i did the install myself. Pretty straightforward. I try and to install every mod I can because this is a great learning experience and fun to do.
As for wheels I've narrowed by choices down to the 2010 GT500 or Advan RZ.

I do agree with your last statement. It does look a little odd because my car doesnt look all crazy yet. But this is a slow process that will eventually get there.

BTW you have a nice 240. Clean 240s are pretty rare around my place. Most are junk.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:41 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Looks good man - you can't get to sparked up at these guys. This is a place for people to express their opinions. Who cares if they like it or not - do you? It is your car, however I know when you work hard on something you want others to like as well. I put a 4" cowl hood on mine and I get **** all the time, should have done this, should have done that. You know what I say, buy your own and go ahead! To each is own, I like the wings when their balanced right. Someone else on here has that wing and it looks sick!

IMO I love the trak paks and they have those wings! Just sayin...I'd never go that route, but I can respect one who goes against the grain!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

Default ???

fluid dynamics huh? is fluid dynamics the reason you omitted and/or deleted the front splitter from the GT500 conversion. I thought the front spoiler was designed and put there for a specific purpose. mite i add that it also enahnces the look and happens to be one of the cheapest parts in the gt500 conversion. hey dude, if you like it i love it, its your car...but if you post pics on a forum then your gonna draw critics, some ok and some not. thats my .2 cents you can keep the change ya dig!
Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
You are absolutely right. However whenever someone says an ignorant statement saying it belongs on civics. That absolutely pisses me off.
1) I havent tracked it yet. I am building towards that goal. I want to have everything in line before I attempt it. Yes I realize it will not do much until you reach hwy speeds +. But I do notice a difference at freeway speeds. That is enough for me to want it on my car as it is. As to say it doesnt do much if anything is wrong. This isnt one of those ebay wings. This was built using CFD w/ real data. This is a roush track pak takeoff wing or basically an APR performance wing. Granted its an entry level wing and isnt gonna produce as much downforce as their high end ones. But I got it at a great deal and is functional which is the reason why I run it.

2) yes i did the install myself. Pretty straightforward. I try and to install every mod I can because this is a great learning experience and fun to do.
As for wheels I've narrowed by choices down to the 2010 GT500 or Advan RZ.

I do agree with your last statement. It does look a little odd because my car doesnt look all crazy yet. But this is a slow process that will eventually get there.

BTW you have a nice 240. Clean 240s are pretty rare around my place. Most are junk.
The Civic comment wasn't all that great I admit it, but don't let it get to you.
I agree with guitar man, that your wing is out of place.
I didn't mention my opinion about it because it wouldn't help and was OT anyway.
I never criticize members even on the ones with hideous looking cars (not your case) because most take it too personal.

Now, if you have to have that wing, you could go for that look and everything would blend in...
Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
351inside

thats on my todo list for 2011 lol...... really dough it looks great, and if its for track then its great

Last edited by 351inside; 11-28-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:32 AM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

Those TEIN coils, they 18 way or 32 way adjustable? Gas chambered I assume? Plan on lowering your car a bit more with the new wheels? if so, the overall appearance of your car ..new wheels with proper fitment and offset and lowered...wuod be greatly increased in my book. Thats just my opinion though.

Get er done man and do whatever makes ya happy!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

foolio2k4, great lookin' front end, man! I wish I could install aftermarket parts like you. I just don't have the proper place or tools yet :P

As for negative comments, you'll learn to let them roll off. I got a lot of bad feedback when I first installed my Cervini's 429 hoodscoop. I admit, it did look outta place at first, but as the modding continued it looks decent, imo. A lot of older guys give me compliments, not so much the youngins. But, like your Pony, she's still a work in progress, FAR from done

- Deadbeat
Old 11-28-2009, 01:35 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

foolio, looks great. Its a great start. You like your wing, great,. Its your car and you have all the right to enjoy it and roll around with it. As with anything you do, you will get some flack and you will get folks out there who will love it. Enjoy the new look. But seriously, you gotta get some rims to go with the new menacing look .

Quick Reply: My GT500 conversion!!!! PERF WHITE