Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Need Body Kit Help and advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
knightflores

Default Need Body Kit Help and advice!

hello all,

i have searched and searched for answers but i keep getting conflicting data and really need help... i bought a boy racer body kit from craigslist for 300.00 which i think is a steal... but everywhere i go they want to charge me around 2000.00 to install it and paint it.... my question is 1. how hard is it to install the body kit? 2. do i need to paint it first then install it? 3. is there anyone around the hampton roads or norfolk va area that can help me with it?? thanks for all your help
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I really like the Boy Racer Kit.

Depending on what version of the Boy Racer Body Kit you have, and how many pieces, that is not necessarily a bad price for the install.

The Boy Racer is a Wide-body kit and it will require a fair amount of "tweaking" to make it fit properly. I know there are videos out there that show people installing the kit with nothing but tape, but I assure you that you don't want to do that.

Once you throw on paint... You are going to be up in the range that was quoted you. Even at a great install/paint price, you'd still be looking at $1,500.00 on a good day.

Another thing to realize, is since it is a wide-body kit, you are going to need new wheels and tires to fill out those wells. That is an expense too. Stock wheels will look REALLY stupid tucked that deep inside. The BR kit really needs at least 295s or 305s to even look halfway decent. Even 1.5" wheel adapters will have a hard time filling it out.

I think you got an AWESOME deal on the kit. But, getting a kit is only a small part of the total expense involved when doing these things. If you ever manage to get it all done, I's love to see your pics. It's one of my favorite kits out there.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

2 thousand is a ripoff, i paid 1400 for paint and install of my roush bodykit, which was my front fascia, chin spoiler, rocker panels, GT rear bumper, rear valance, and ducktail spoiler. i i had more painted then you will.

and i would rather paint them first, otherwise if you install them then paint them they will half-*** it and only do the visible side, if you paint then install they will usually paint the complete body part.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

The boy racer kit is a 16 piece kit and is considered one of the hardest kits to install correctly.

16 Piece Kit
Includes: Front/ Rear Bumper Replacements, Optional Replacement grille and fogs, (4) Fender Flares, R/L Side Skirts, R/L Door Caps, U-Shape Trim, Hood Scoop, Window Scoops, Quarter Panel Scoops, Blackout Panel and Ducktail (or Boy Racer Wing) Spoiler

Heck, just the kit itself is over $2000.00

I agree that $2,000 install is *maybe* a tiny bit high. But it's way more involved than a Roush kit. More pieces... more labor... more paint. Maybe high, but far, far from a "rip-off"

But, yeah... look around and *maybe* you can get it done for $1500-$1700.

I EXTENSIVELY researched this kit when I was considering it and got quotes from a dozen different body shops in Vegas. The highest I found was $2700 (rip off) and the lowest was $1250.00 (but not a highly respected shop). Ultimately, I didn't get it... but I certainly did my research.

Of course, installing yourself is always an option after painting. IF you have such skills.

LOVE THIS KIT!!!! (and the pic below is only the 11 piece version)

Last edited by Fifthwind; 01-07-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

I forgot its a wide body, i thought it was just a front rear, rockers, and wing. still, i do feel it is a little high. but like 5thwind said, you will need to adjust your wheels or else it will end up looking like a bad BMW wide body kit.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

LOL... love that CRX
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I really hate that wing with a passion but otherwise it's not a bad kit
Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

holy crx! haha
Old 01-08-2011, 03:04 PM
knightflores

Yea I didn't get the 16 piece kit its only the 11 piece kit... like I said it was only 300.00 and its brand new still in the boxes... it doesn't come with the wing front grill or hood scoop and side side scoop... but for the price I didn't care.... I have wheel adapters/ spacers for the tires I hope those work... as far as installing with tape I thought that's how it was supposed to be installed since the kit came with 3m tape... u mean the fender flares don't have holes how else am I going to install them? I am heavily considering installing the kit myself since I heard it needs to be installed before paint anyway in order for them to blend the paint in with the body... is this correct or no? What I really need is someone to help.... unfortunately I'm in the military and there is hardly anyone around Norfolk va that has experience with this
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Daleford
2nd Gear Member

I just sent you a private message. I am a bodyman with years of experiance. Please read.

Quick Reply: Need Body Kit Help and advice!