Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

brake re-paint tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default brake re-paint tips

What do you all recommend for touch up paint on the brake calipers?

I have a rattle can Duplicolor in red ready to go.. my brakes look very shady since their first paining back in 08.

They still have a bit of color, but look worn. Can I simply use some scotch brite with some brake cleaner, then spray them?

lite coats, followed by wait time then more thin coats. I was thinking of using a heat gun to quickly dry the process..

any suggestions welcome
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

I'm not a pro at this but I believe if you plan on painting ontop of the pant you have you have to clean it very well or it will flake off fast. What I would recommend is to go to home depot and buy one of the wire wheels and scuff it a up. Or clean it right to metal if it all flakes off. Then make sure u clean all the dusty flaky paint stuff. Then you can spray them. I used this process on my calipers and they look great
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Use the brush on can, you get a much better coat. Do two coats, mine have been painted for over 4 years and still look great.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevilay
I'm not a pro at this but I believe if you plan on painting ontop of the pant you have you have to clean it very well or it will flake off fast. What I would recommend is to go to home depot and buy one of the wire wheels and scuff it a up. Or clean it right to metal if it all flakes off. Then make sure u clean all the dusty flaky paint stuff. Then you can spray them. I used this process on my calipers and they look great
Damn, and I thought I could get away with just scruffing them up a bit and then spraying them down lol .. I might end up just painting the ends and installing brake caliper covers..

Originally Posted by TinPony
Use the brush on can, you get a much better coat. Do two coats, mine have been painted for over 4 years and still look great.
Which brand? I used Dupli-color and now it's crappi-color lol
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

wash dust off with standard car wash soap then invest in duplicolor caliper paint kit...

painting the color on with a brush is much easier than rattle can, not to mention no masking needed!

also the paint is thicker with the kit and you can brush on multiple coats for protection

Last edited by project85; 10-04-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

project85 is right.... use thje Duplicolor kit and follow the instructions..
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Great topic. This was something I was going to post a question about but found this thread instead.

I too am looking to paint my calipers but want to paint the entire caliper a new color...I have a green Bullitt and I bought a set of used RED calipers that would make my car look like Santa Claus' personal ride, so I want to paint black.

I contacted StopTech but they refused to repaint, but I figured there must be a way to do this given how many factory calipers I've seen custom painted.

My calipers are not on the car at he moment and I was wondering if painting requires any disassembly in order to avoid getting paint on internals?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by project85
wash dust off with standard car wash soap then invest in duplicolor caliper paint kit...

painting the color on with a brush is much easier than rattle can, not to mention no masking needed!

also the paint is thicker with the kit and you can brush on multiple coats for protection
Amen! I bought their black kit and it worked great and it comes with a ton of paint!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 AM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Do not use duplicolor they will just continue to flake over time. Get some lacquer thinner and carefully remove old paint and then buy this kit from G2 it holds up way better than Dupli.

http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html
Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Preparation is the key to a good paint job no matter what brand u use.....

Quick Reply: brake re-paint tips