Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Painted Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Descena

Default Painted Calipers

So I painted my calipers shortly after I bought new rotors since mine was pretty worn from Germany - the only problem was that the G9 Vista Blue color that the 'do-it-yourself' paint kit came with doesn't look like Vista Blue. It looks more like Kona Blue. Turned out much darker than it was supposed to. I don't mind it because the painted calipers make the car look cleaner to me and it's obviously unlike other mustangs around - but I wanted thoughts on how it appeared to others and whether you think I should repaint [red is constantly suggested to me].

Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Red looks great but the paint will always chip off at some point; you should get them powder coated.
Have you considered a drill and wire brush extension and just go unpainted?
The natural aluminum looks beautiful against when you hit it up with a wire brush.
I have pics of mine if you want to see how good they can look with some attention.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Descena

I agree - only bad thing about that is that the car will be down for awhile unless I buy new calipers and send those off to be power coated. I've considered it - but I'd love to see pics of yours if you have them
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Here's one, they're actually kind of dirty because we had some rain. But when you stand back from the car the calipers are pretty noticeable, especially in the sun. It's a huge difference from most other unpainted Mustang calipers.

Nice looking car BTW, blue always looks sweet. I just realized though that silver might blend in with the chrome wheels. lol. Red would look pretty sweet.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Red looks great but the paint will always chip off at some point; you should get them powder coated.
The natural aluminum looks beautiful against when you hit it up with a wire brush.
I have pics of mine if you want to see how good they can look with some attention.
id love to see a picture of yours. Im curious how that would look.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I might have to go that route.. I have red painted calipers and it's starting to chip. I hate it. I am replacing them stick stock take off calipers very soon. Such an eye sore imo, with the red paint chipping off. Looks very tacky.

I may end up taking your advice with the wire brush and making them shine!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

I was considering painting mine red...then changed my mind to silver. After seeing people saying the paint is chipping off and looks bad...I am now thinking about doing what you did...just hit them with a wire brush. I have a stock 2008 V6 pony package...are my calipers aluminum?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

Use the G2 system. It's an epoxy, not a paint, so it doesn't chip. I did mine with their torch red and it still looks great.

http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html
Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

What brand of paint did you use? I used the G2 brand and their vista blue was right on the money.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Calipers-p9200006.jpg  
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

The darker color on the calipers makes a cleaner smoother more flowing look ..... leave it like it is.. I dont understand why people paint them red to standout.

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers