Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Dash Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

O
Originally Posted by jake1.11
Stangaholic...thanks for the additional info. I got all the panels off last night and it worked just as you said. I did disconnect the battery first tho...

As for the door panel...i need to take the drivers side off because there is something broke on my window track (it has been loose for a while probably because i close the door by grabbing the top edge of the window).

The area that i was considering wrapping tho was the small panel that the door opening lever sits in. It apears to be removable but i cant figure it out.

Thanks again for the great thread. I will take some pictures as the project goes...

Jake
I know the little piece behind the lever just pops right out if you use a screw driver. Now if you are talking about the rectangular part that goes around lever I would search Google on how to take off door panel. Should show you everything and if its possible.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

I just remembered the piece you are referring to does cone out. Just pop piece behind handle and undo the torx screw. Then pull it out
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

I pulled the little panel off and removed the torx screw behind it but it didnt seem to want to come apart...maybe i need to be a little more persuasive.

I did get the dash all apart and i am trying aomething a little different. I removed the vent pods from the dash panels by heating up the melted tabs with a microtorch and straightening them out. The vent pods and the speedo/tach pods came right off. Now i can paint these pieces seperately and apply the dinoc without having to work around them.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Stangaholic...thanks for the additional info. I got all the panels off last night and it worked just as you said. I did disconnect the battery first tho...

As for the door panel...i need to take the drivers side off because there is something broke on my window track (it has been loose for a while probably because i close the door by grabbing the top edge of the window).

The area that i was considering wrapping tho was the small panel that the door opening lever sits in. It apears to be removable but i cant figure it out.

Thanks again for the great thread. I will take some pictures as the project goes...

Jake
no problem anytime! thants no fun but I always make sure to close the door from pushing on the interior panel lip haha

you can wrap that but it will be a lil bit of a pain in the but. to remove the piece you will have to take off the door panel again and then you just need to push down on the top of the door latch from the back side, it should push through on the top and then do the same on the bottom side. you shouldnt need a screw driver but its easy to do just look at the little prongs coming off the latch
Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Did you paint the vents at an earlier date? I have an 09' GT and my vents are silver.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

Heres my update...i got all the vent pieces and the gauge housing primed and wetsanded last night. Tonight i will get the color on them and hopefully clear them tomorow. I have the dinoc all cut out to apply to the dash panels but that leads me to my question. How did you keep the weave lined up? The dash has some arc to it so i was wondering if there is a trick.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 PM
dr.dirty
1st Gear Member

Looks awesome.....
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Looks really nice dude. You have tons of patience considering how long it took you. Of course everything takes me twice as long as most. LOL
Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Heres my update...i got all the vent pieces and the gauge housing primed and wetsanded last night. Tonight i will get the color on them and hopefully clear them tomorow. I have the dinoc all cut out to apply to the dash panels but that leads me to my question. How did you keep the weave lined up? The dash has some arc to it so i was wondering if there is a trick.
theres no real trick to it, just try to keep the panel strait when you lay it on and use the graph paper on the back strait on your templates when you go to cut them out. its fairly easy and easy to fix if you notice it looks like you pulled the pattern a little to hard and distorted it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

here's the anticipated updated pics of my interior, I dont think I've gotten a pic of the door panels yet. I've gotten a lot of questions about it and just a few bubbles only on the door panels but a hair drier provides and easy fix. To solve it down the road ill pull it back and put on some more 3M stong adhesive, then it shouldnt bubble

Quick Reply: Dash Refresh