Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Fender Bender Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Insurance companies = Crooks!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

They won't write up for a new hood and since there aren't any aftermarket OEM style available, they will give you about $500 or $600 for a used one that's about it.
Also, unless that hood is buckled or the inside brace is compromised, it most likely is repairable...

More importantly though, you really need to understand the definition of friendship because what you have with the ******* that messed up your car, isn't remotely friendship.

Good luck with this.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by svastano
then get rid of your insurance and pay your state's yearly uninsured motorist fee.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by 05MineralGrayV6
tell your insurance it was a hit and run which isnt far from the truth. have them cut you a check to buy oem replacements then take that money and buy the cheaper nicer parts fiberglass hood that you never have to worry about corroding and a specialty bumper like the california special, Roush, Cervinies whatever you like
Originally Posted by Young_Gun
What he said!

Give your insurance company the stiff! And then use the broken hood to beat your idiot friend over the head with.
Originally Posted by Rylay
make sure to call a cop in a parking lot first. insurance people won't talk to you without a police report.
Originally Posted by svastano

Hmmm, so let's advocate insurance fraud, then complain that the insurance company is the crook?

And I have to say, not real smart to talk about doing an illegal act (it is a crime to commit insurance fraud) on an open forum.

And to the OP - do you have a small claims court procedure in your province? If so, take your "friend" to small claims court for the damage, and then collect on the judgment.

Last edited by JimC; 03-18-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM
ShMcK
1st Gear Member

Your better off looking for a stock hood on craigslist. Around here there have been plenty within 100 miles for around $400. Unfortunately gotta get lucky with the paint color..
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
verslaflamme

Ya I have started to look into small claims court and if I have to I think I will try that. I just don't know if it would work out in my favor or not since he and I were the only ones there and it would just be my word against his. This whole thing has made me really wonder why I pay almost $2000 a year for insurance when someone with no insurance can hit my parked car and seemingly completely get away with it. Funny thing is that he ended up dodging a deer on the highway in his truck and instead of hitting the deer he hit a tree and totaled it.. same insurance as me gave him nothing for his truck since he didn't hit the deer. Karma is a b**ch... lol
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Tell you're "friend" to pay up. Some people can't afford to pay $1500 out of pocket to fix someone else's car but he's gotta make an effort. Schit, pay in installments. Don't let people walk all over you. And if he refuses, find a way to take him to a small claims court. Anyone who can't make good on a promise made over a year ago (a reasonable one at that) is no friend of mine.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

By the looks of your signature, your in Alberta as well. Yes, we all have the option for collision. I don't have it on my Honda beater as it's just not worth it. Eliminating your Collision is an easy way to reduce your insurance payment but, as you can see here, it comes with a cost. If you crash it, no claim.

Since your guy had no insurance, one would have thought that there would be a clause somewhere that stated that the insurance company would repair it. But again, because you have no collision, that's the kicker.

You can go to small claims. Again, as you said, it's your word against his. Cops don't get involved in these unless it's over $1500 in damage. You'll need a sticker to repair it at a shop.

You must have spoken to someone else about the hit, like another friend or GF? They can appear as a witness as well. If the guy doesn't have the money up front, it's up to the Sherrifs to get the money.... Good luck.... Lose the friend.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
verslaflamme

Originally Posted by ResQman
By the looks of your signature, your in Alberta as well. Yes, we all have the option for collision. I don't have it on my Honda beater as it's just not worth it. Eliminating your Collision is an easy way to reduce your insurance payment but, as you can see here, it comes with a cost. If you crash it, no claim.

Since your guy had no insurance, one would have thought that there would be a clause somewhere that stated that the insurance company would repair it. But again, because you have no collision, that's the kicker.

You can go to small claims. Again, as you said, it's your word against his. Cops don't get involved in these unless it's over $1500 in damage. You'll need a sticker to repair it at a shop.

You must have spoken to someone else about the hit, like another friend or GF? They can appear as a witness as well. If the guy doesn't have the money up front, it's up to the Sherrifs to get the money.... Good luck.... Lose the friend.
Ya I am also from Alberta. And ya your exactly right if I had collision I would have been covered and I really wished I had it right after it happened but realistically it still would have cost me 3600 bucks a year for the 3 years I've owned the car, which adds up to way more than a new hood and bumper cover. I figure I got lucky it isn't worse than it is and hopefully I can get some money out of him, even half is better than nothing. Plus really its just a good excuse to get a ram air hood that I wanted anyway
Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

The law varies by jurisdiction. As a general rule, winning a case in court is not the same as collecting whatever monetary amount the court might award you. You might have to get a levy against his bank account, if he has one, or some other assets. If the guy doesn't pay up, you've got a bunch of red tape to go through. And if he flat out doesn't have the money, you could be SOL. Not saying you should just let it go, but know what you could be getting into if you do go to court. If you can find an attorney who won't charge you a fortune for a consultation, that would be a prudent thing to do.

Quick Reply: Fender Bender Repairs