Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Disaster! My Car Vs. the Garage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default Disaster! My Car Vs. the Garage...

Ok, not really a disaster, but it was so stupid and the damage is bad enough that I'll probably have to make an insurance claim. I scraped the inside of the garage door as I was pulling in.

Going for estimates probably today and/or tomorrow.

Pascal especially...how much do you think I'm looking at? It scraped pretty deep into the fiberglass.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Ablaze
1st Gear Member

Well, it honestly doesn't look *too* bad. Sorry and good luck with the fix!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Is the car actually damaged? It looks like most of that will wipe/buff off as it appears to be built up on your car and not actually gouged.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Is the car actually damaged? It looks like most of that will wipe/buff off as it appears to be built up on your car and not actually gouged.
When I first read this I scoffed at it. I had no doubt in my mind that the white was fiberglass and the fibers were peeling out of the fiberglass (Even though I didn't think the fender and door were fiberglass...wasn't sure about the handle)

I couldn't figure out why there was no paint transfer on the garage door though, and no red paint shavings on the floor.

I had already called my insurance company, started a claim and was headed to the body shop for an estimate. I took one more look at the damage just for a "What if..."

And fifteen minutes of scrubbing with a magic eraser, the body looks perfect! I still have to replace the mirror...but that's $200 vs. $2000 or more. Outstanding!

This was nothing but HEAVY paint transfer from the garage door/trim.

Great eye PNYXPRESS...you at least saved me looking like an idiot at the body shop!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Anyone know if I could salvage that mirror? It looks like a pretty clean break, looks like the two pieces were glued together originally anyway. I may try to just repaint and reassemble it.

**After taking it off, I really think I can save it. What kind of adhesive would I use though?

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 06-06-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Freshman4life05
1st Gear Member

American muscle sells replacement mirrors

http://www.americanmuscle.com/0509-m...or-covers.html

I see that yours are red, are those covers or are they actually painted red?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
Anyone know if I could salvage that mirror? It looks like a pretty clean break, looks like the two pieces were glued together originally anyway. I may try to just repaint and reassemble it.

**After taking it off, I really think I can save it. What kind of adhesive would I use though?

Just go out and get a pair of Gt500 mirrors in your year and have a shop paint them to match your body, you'll love it...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
I've got this stuff called Instant Jet. It will bond anything to anything. And if you get it on your fingers, it'll take a full bottle of nail polish remover to get it off.

That might hold your mirror on, especially since the Agent 47 mirrors are pretty aerodynamic. You can get it at the local hobby store.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 06-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

ouch!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Retired_Colonel
1st Gear Member

Great recovery!! How's the garage? (as in who cares when it comes to this..right?)

Quick Reply: Disaster! My Car Vs. the Garage...