Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT/CS Interior Painting Questions/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Question GT/CS Interior Painting Questions/Opinions

Ok, so I like the interior on the California specials. Grey and black looks nice, but I think it's too much grey. It's just sorta under-bearing and I want to go for a sportier look, so I was thinking High Performance White accents, and maybe doing some more black.

I really like the idea of white, but I don't like the idea of making every person who gets in my car wear sanitized doctor scrubs and latex gloves so they don't get my car dirty. So I was wondering what y'alls opinion would be on this. Every seen a white interior stang? How did it look?

I don't have a lot of experience doing this stuff. I've only painted interior once and it was on my truck. It was just kind've a last minute idea and we did my dash, doors, and trim and it all looked good but we weren't thinking it through all the way and didn't primer it well enough, and the humidity from doing it outside got to the doors. We were also using spray cans.

But NOW, I have a spray gun and I have an air conditioned area to do it in. I will primer everything well, get the proper matching paint mixed, and clear coat it. It will be done right or I will not do it at all, so any advice from paint pros would really help me out. I was thinking about actually going to my friend's paint shop and watching him do it for a day so I can grasp the technique a little better.

Here's my idea, painting the handle/unlock area, window switches, speaker covers, maplight, and entire center console and radio area of my dash white, as well as getting a white shift boot with black stripes from Redline. I was thinking armrest cover too, but it seems like that would get insanely dirty. And then, anything that doesn't look right being grey, I will paint black.

Here's some pics of my car and current interior, let me know what y'all think.

Thanks MFers!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:08 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Shamefully self bumping. I'm aiming to do this project soon so please, some feedback would be awesome from y'all. I don't want to go in this guns blazing and screw up my interior.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

gutsy...subd for results pics...no experience painting interior, sorry.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Just start taking off random pieces and have them powder coated. I think it would look fine and stay pretty clean but you gotta get ALL the satin silver or it will look off.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I'm not feeling the 4 tone look that would bring. You have black in there, grey in there, silver in there and then bring white in there. Actually, I think what bothers me more than anything is the grey. Of course my car is exactly the same as yours except where you have black, I have even more grey...lol
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Also, a word of advice from previous bright ideas of mine that weren't so fantastic.... Be careful if you at any point decide to paint the top of the dash. Choosing the wrong color or gloss will make visibility 0 with the refection back onto the windshield.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
I'm not feeling the 4 tone look that would bring. You have black in there, grey in there, silver in there and then bring white in there. Actually, I think what bothers me more than anything is the grey. Of course my car is exactly the same as yours except where you have black, I have even more grey...lol
Yeah that's the problem, I want all this grey gone. It's just boring and I want to have my interior match my exterior. Yeah the silver sorta offsets it, maybe it would be possible to paint those little AC pod rings white.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

if you have the confidence to do it yourself right on. i personally am a little backward on how it would look in white but i wont judge until i see it. good luck
Old 09-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Don't start painting random bits of trim. Even in white, I think you're just in for a bunch of heart ache.

If you want to bring white into the interior, without it looking like a hot mess, you're probably going to have to change everything that's grey to either white or black. That includes pillar trim, headliners, door panels, and the upholstery.

Imagine something like this except what's red on the interior would be black.

If you mostly want to get rid of some of the grey, I'd start by doing a leather/quality vinyl wrap on the lower dash panels and stereo side panels. Then a good matte black finish for the lower console would get that taken care of. Though that might end up boring in a different way. But that would be where I'd start the conversion before moving on to upholstery if you want to bring areas of white into the interior.

If you just want some accents of white inside, get some white welt to go around your door panel inserts, and the lower dash/aluminum applique. Those would go with the shift boot you already have, and bring a little of the exterior inside.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

From what I picture, it could go either way. One it could be BLING-EE. Or Two a balanced look overall for the interior. I hope it becomes the later. Sometimes we want to change something for just the change, because we see it everyday. I really hope all that work will pay off for you. Like to see the pics when your done.

Quick Reply: GT/CS Interior Painting Questions/Opinions