Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HID headlights..your opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Ruffy07

Default HID headlights..your opinions needed

http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/hig...stang-gt-2007/

I am looking at this kit and I would like your opinions on HID lighting in the Mustangs in general before I make a decision. Im looking for pros and cons to a system like this. I have a 2007 GT and would also get the HID fog light kit as well with 6000k/35w bulbs.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I dont know about that kit but I installed HID's on my 95 from MustangMods.com and was very happy with them. Never had any problems, great customer service, and they come with a life time warranty in case something stops working.

I love HIDs and am looking for a set myself right now.

Matthew
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Be careful what bulb temperature you select. My experience with aging eyes is that anything above the 4300K range will reduce your visibility significantly when it's dark and wet out. I had to back off from 5000K bulbs to 4100K on 2 other vehicles. My Stang is currently at 4000K for the headlights and 2500K for the fogs.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Ruffy07

Originally Posted by Nuke
Be careful what bulb temperature you select. My experience with aging eyes is that anything above the 4300K range will reduce your visibility significantly when it's dark and wet out. I had to back off from 5000K bulbs to 4100K on 2 other vehicles. My Stang is currently at 4000K for the headlights and 2500K for the fogs.
This is the kind of opinions that I am looking for. I thought that the higher the number the more light would be put out. I have a 99 touring bike that I had installed the 6000 bulb in and it lights up the night fantastically so I am curious now and will look into the 4000k lights a bit.

Do the HID bulbs do any type of damage over time to the stock GT light housings?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

I don't know about that site but I have a Kensun Bi-Xenon kit for my headlights at 6000k. The light output is more than good, but not fantastic. The color is good, a nice luxury-type blue with clear white output. The high beams are real good regarding brightness but the light bounces all around when you hit any sort of bump because they said the bulbs are "made to do that".

I would just get a set for the low beams if I did it again and retain the stock high beams.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not trying to talk you out of 6000K. Just that the higher the K value, the LESS USABLE light there is. But if you have no problems with your 6000K lamp on your bike, then you likely won't have issues.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Oh and if your bulbs aren't capped (look at the headlight from the outside you'll see a cap cover for the bulb), you'll need to get them capped so they don't scatter light into oncoming driver's eyes.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Ruffy07

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm not trying to talk you out of 6000K. Just that the higher the K value, the LESS USABLE light there is. But if you have no problems with your 6000K lamp on your bike, then you likely won't have issues.
I didnt think you were. I will look into the 4300 a bit more. Im sure these are much better than stock anyway.

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Oh and if your bulbs aren't capped (look at the headlight from the outside you'll see a cap cover for the bulb), you'll need to get them capped so they don't scatter light into oncoming driver's eyes.
The bulb on the bike is capped. If I do go HID on the 07 ill make sure the bulbs are capped.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruffy07
I thought that the higher the number the more light would be put out.
That is incorrect. The K value really is just an indicator of the color of the light, not it's intensity. Lower K values emit light in the orange and red spectrums and Higher K values emit light in the purple and blue spectrums.

As Nuke pointed out there, our eyes are more receptive to some wavelengths of light and less receptive to others. White light is really just light that covers the majority of the spectrum of visible wavelengths. Human eyes are actually most receptive to green light (which is why nightvision systems always use green light). Red and blue are two wavelengths that most human eyes are less receptive to. There is natural variations from person to person, even to the point of some people being completely blind to certain wavelengths of light.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I use a 55watt 6K system on my car. Out put is great, see way more than I ever did but I do agree with everyone on not getting anything above 6K

Quick Reply: HID headlights..your opinions needed