Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
As for Ford not standing behind their warranty, I have yet to read any proof it's a Ford failure that caused the fire. Why do you think I asked about what was found to be the CAUSE?
Proof..no. But you have to admit, short of not informing us that her cousin Vinny was trying to wire in something, it takes some doing to get a fire going in there, even a relatively minor one. Not something that happens from a couple rats or a few kicked up stones. Those scenarios would 99999 out of 100000 times just lead to being stranded on the side of the road, not getting started to begin with, or the barbecue being overnight in the drive-way. Flaming out while in motion like this definitely leans IMO to something being faulty, or possibly something being too close to the engine giving the Chernobyl action, which would again be FORD's fault if no tampering is involved.

Assuming that's not residual fire related, having the main cable melt is no easy feat. Especially considering the BEC looks to be completely fine, at least as far as can be seen from that photo.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-15-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM
jlc41
2nd Gear Member

Hey Wayne, help me out... where is this auto start item you referred to???
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

So looking at that pic can anyone see if it looks like it has something aftermarket on it? The insurance said warranty should cover it, ford techs looked at it for months and decided not to warranty it. The only reason I could think of is because of an aftermarket modification not wired properly.

What do you guys think?

Also, it looks like very little is actually damaged under there. just replace the battery, wire harnesses, and clean it up and good to go? Maybe the hood/paint around it as well.

Last edited by Mishri; 08-15-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlc41
Hey Wayne, help me out... where is this auto start item you referred to???
Fairly early on in the thread, page 2 or so...Full thread on it here.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Fairly early on in the thread, page 2 or so...Full thread on it here.
That was on someone else car, not the OP car referred to in this thread!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mobydick
That was on someone else car, not the OP car referred to in this thread!
It was a simple response to a query about a sub-topic that cropped up that I commented on. The resulting other relevant posts were yanked/edited to avoid the likely outcome with that subject matter intermingled here. User was in the linked thread. Oh wait..forgot to add the "!", whoops.

...Anyhow, ....waiting on further news.

Last edited by wayne613; 08-16-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
dstowe2003
1st Gear Member

Hey all,
Been sitting and waiting to get my car back. I was supposed to have it back on the 14th of Sept. Dealership found more issues after the engine and everything came out. Geico went back out to inspect it again and from this point on I am waiting for what is going to happen next. Ford still isn't participating in helping their customer.

Just an FYI, I think I have mentioned this a bunch: No there wasn't anything aftermarket put on the car. No modifications or anything. Yeah! Exactly, it doesn't make sense. There were a few leaves in the engine on the right side where the fire didn't happen and in the center: The fire started from the left side and melted the power battery cable and things around the battery. So what the hell is the problem and why don't I have a new car, my money back, or something along those lines.

My lawyer knows my feelings about this, but what really can we do if Ford won't budge? I am just one person and Ford has a **** ton of money, who cares about me and the blood, sweat, and tears I gave forth to get this car for myself.

I don't know what else to do. I am still paying full coverage insurance and my 500 monthly payments plus rental charges. Before this I didn't have the rental option.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the Soldier, Sailor Civil Relief Act that could help my situation? I am looking into it right now.

-Deanna
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
dstowe2003
1st Gear Member

THE FIRST QUOTED DAMAGES WERE 10K, SO MIGHT NOT LOOK LIKE A LOT OF DAMAGE BUT IT IS AND THERE STILL IS MORE... I AM CURRENTLY WAITING, AND NO AFTERMARKET OR ANYTHING ON MY CAR.

Originally Posted by Mishri
So looking at that pic can anyone see if it looks like it has something aftermarket on it? The insurance said warranty should cover it, ford techs looked at it for months and decided not to warranty it. The only reason I could think of is because of an aftermarket modification not wired properly.

What do you guys think?

Also, it looks like very little is actually damaged under there. just replace the battery, wire harnesses, and clean it up and good to go? Maybe the hood/paint around it as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
dstowe2003
1st Gear Member

THANK YOU!!! WELL PUT!!

Originally Posted by wayne613
Proof..no. But you have to admit, short of not informing us that her cousin Vinny was trying to wire in something, it takes some doing to get a fire going in there, even a relatively minor one. Not something that happens from a couple rats or a few kicked up stones. Those scenarios would 99999 out of 100000 times just lead to being stranded on the side of the road, not getting started to begin with, or the barbecue being overnight in the drive-way. Flaming out while in motion like this definitely leans IMO to something being faulty, or possibly something being too close to the engine giving the Chernobyl action, which would again be FORD's fault if no tampering is involved.

Assuming that's not residual fire related, having the main cable melt is no easy feat. Especially considering the BEC looks to be completely fine, at least as far as can be seen from that photo.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

So sorry to hear that you are still not getting any help from Ford! I love Ford products but this is really disgusting to me. Even if you are the only one having the problem, you ARE having the problem. Nothing was modified and you didn't cause it in ANY way. With all the money Ford has, they should just stop being b*tches and either give you a new car, your money back in full, or at the very least repair it immediately and completely on their dime. The price of your GT may be like buying a napkin for Ford, but for us, it's much more. You serve our country and wanted to buy THEIR product with your HARD earned money, and they are basically shafting you every chance they get.

I don't know if there is anything in the act that would pertain to your particular situation, but it's definitely worth checking. I'd also make as much noise as you can with news agencies and stuff. I can't imagine that Ford would particularly care for it to be widely known that a 100% stock and unmodified product of theirs went up in flames ,risking one of our service member's safety, and they essentially want to pretend they more or less didn't even build the f*cking thing.

Best of luck to you Deanna, and I hope they get their mess with you straight soon. They owe you a huge apology. Like, paying your car off for you, and fixing it for free, kind of apology.

Quick Reply: My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it