Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:52 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

Default Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?

Ok, i've been trying to keep up with everything on this forum so sorry for a possible repeat question. Will I need a tune if all I do is install an x or H pipe? Which one is better just for street use...no racing or drag? I'm looking for less restriction and better sound. I will eventually change the mufflers but for now i thought i'd see how just the x/h pipe works out. Any suggestions? Keep in mind i don't have a budget to get everything at once.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?

I was under the impression the computer relearned the proper a/f ratio after u do bolt ons. When i did my long tubes I had a problem with the car dying after being driven hard for any length of time, but then after about a month of that it started running just fine.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

I hope that's the case since I really don't have the money for a tuner right now.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:07 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

I have heard from many people that the 99-04 computer learns ratios over time due to change, and ive seen the proof. Id assume it would be the same with your car. I only had problems at idle after a long hard pull. now, a tuner should be able to realize the potential of bolt-ons. the canned tune on a stock car is almost worthless, as is any kind of tuning. But after a bunch of bolt ons you can take better advantage of them.

so, to answer ur questions: No, u dont need to tune, but u should think about getting one once u have a few more mods under ur belt.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

Appreciate the word Specter. Worst case, i'll just have to put the stocks back on until I get the tuner.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

I have heard from many people that the 99-04 computer learns ratios over time due to change, and ive seen the proof. Id assume it would be the same with your car. I only had problems at idle after a long hard pull. now, a tuner should be able to realize the potential of bolt-ons. the canned tune on a stock car is almost worthless, as is any kind of tuning. But after a bunch of bolt ons you can take better advantage of them.

so, to answer ur questions: No, u dont need to tune, but u should think about getting one once u have a few more mods under ur belt.
+1 - your not going to alter your a/f significantly enough to mandate a new tune with just an x or h-pipe. Now, once you get headers and new exhaust and hi flow (or no) cats (WHICH YOU EVENTUALLY WILL...lol) then you'll need the tune.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

+1 - your not going to alter your a/f significantly enough to mandate a new tune with just an x or h-pipe. Now, once you get headers and new exhaust and hi flow (or no) cats (WHICH YOU EVENTUALLY WILL...lol) then you'll need the tune.

Doesn't the x/h pipes eliminate the cats? Will that require the tune?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

It is your choice to lose the cats, switch to hi flows or keep stock. You don't have to lose them because of the pipe.

Edit - if you choose to loose the cats, I would recommend getting a tune.
Is it neccessary for safety? NO
Will it hurt your car to not have it? NO
Will you get better performance from your pipes with no cats by a tune adjusting the a/f? YES
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 PM
richjr74
1st Gear Member

I guess all the pipes i've been looking at are off-road pipes which replace the cats. Should have mentioned that.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:29 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

youdont need a tune. most are keeping their cats

Quick Reply: Do I need a tune with an x-pipe?