Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive By Wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

Default Drive By Wire

Okay so I dont understand how this is helping my gas mileage!!! I live 2 miles from work here in stl and the way to work mostly down hill. If I hit 40 going down the street, I can cost about 3/4 of the way to work. I have a 5sp and put it in neutral and cost. Well I guess it is this Drive by wire crap that keeps the RPM's about 1300-1400 RPM's. If I push in the clutch the RPM's drop down to the 750-800 idle range. It does not make any since to me. Why so high when not in gear.

The same thing happens when on the Interstate. If I am doing 75ish and put in in neutral due to I am about to get off the interstate and it will stay at 2200 RPMS or so till I stop and then spikes up to 2500-2600 Until I push in the clutch. Only then will it go down. The service department thinks that I have a bad clutch sensor but it seems more like bad programing in the computer.

Ohh yeah and the lag sucks a*s! I know I need to get the Tune still. Does anyone else have this problem???
Old 06-12-2006, 05:51 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drive By Wire

ORIGINAL: elektra

Okay so I dont understand how this is helping my gas mileage!!! I live 2 miles from work here in stl and the way to work mostly down hill. If I hit 40 going down the street, I can cost about 3/4 of the way to work. I have a 5sp and put it in neutral and cost. Well I guess it is this Drive by wire crap that keeps the RPM's about 1300-1400 RPM's. If I push in the clutch the RPM's drop down to the 750-800 idle range. It does not make any since to me. Why so high when not in gear.

The same thing happens when on the Interstate. If I am doing 75ish and put in in neutral due to I am about to get off the interstate and it will stay at 2200 RPMS or so till I stop and then spikes up to 2500-2600 Until I push in the clutch. Only then will it go down. The service department thinks that I have a bad clutch sensor but it seems more like bad programing in the computer.

Ohh yeah and the lag sucks a*s! I know I need to get the Tune still. Does anyone else have this problem???
Why doesn't the service department service the vehicle instead of guessing the problem? I agree, 2200-2500 while coasting is a bit extreme but you won't know why until they actually look at it. Drive by wire always seems to cause a lag in how the engine returns to idle. I was going to buy a 5sp Acura TL but opted for the automatic simply because their drive by wire was horrid in the stick car, much worse than it is in this car. As to the lag, as you know a new CAI and tune cures that nicely.

Good luck with the service department!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

Does anybody have this issue? Actually I hope I am alone on this as I dont see this option giving me a better gase mileage!

Yeah thanx Viking, I plan on getting a CAI and a tune one they get this idle problem taken care of!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

If you are coasting at 40 mph, in neutral, and it's revving too high, put it in 5th.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery

If you are coasting at 40 mph, in neutral, and it's revving too high, put it in 5th.
But I want it to Idle not put it in gear.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

When coasting the engine is getting more air, it will idle a bit higher, but shouldn't idle THAT high. I suggest taking it to the dealer and have them check it out for themselves.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

When coasting the engine is getting more air, it will idle a bit higher, but shouldn't idle THAT high. I suggest taking it to the dealer and have them check it out for themselves.
How does a costing engine get more air?

The computer is probably detecting the speed, and adjusting the amount of fuel the engine is getting. So that the engine isn't "engine braking" instead of "holding" it's speed.

You should be in gear when the car is moving. Your coasting to work in neutral, vs not applying any throttle in 5th isn't saving you any gas.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

How does a costing engine get more air?

The computer is probably detecting the speed, and adjusting the amount of fuel the engine is getting. So that the engine isn't "engine braking" instead of "holding" it's speed.

You should be in gear when the car is moving. Your coasting to work in neutral, vs not applying any throttle in 5th isn't saving you any gas.

Because it's moving through air at a greater than zero speed, air gets into the engine compartment and also the intake, take a look at your tach when going 50, take it out of gear and you'll see it idles slightly higher than when sitting still. With a CAI I notice it a little bit more.. What adjusts idle or should I say, what tells the computer to adjust idle.... Could be just me, maybe I'm clueless....

How does coasting downhill vs being in gear and using the gas pedal NOT saving gas??

I'll take coasting to work for a few miles over leaving it in 5th gear for 200 Alex....
Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
davidb123456

Am I reading this correctly?!

You drive along in a manual car and, when you don't wish to accelerate or decelerate, you put it in neutral?!

I don't wish to present myself as the world's best driver, but that is clearly NOT the way to go about driving. In my humble opinion, the only time when the gear shift should be in neutral is when stationary and you wish to rest your left foot; the only time you should be coasting (clutch down whilst moving) is when you're slowing and very nearly stopped but do not wish/need to drive in a lower gear. In a manual car, when you're moving but are not in gear, you lose engine braking and therefore stopping power, making it potentially hazardous as well as a little odd.

I just found that method of driving that you described very puzzling and I was AMAZED that no one else said anything. I don't mean to sound rude or funny, but I just thought I would pass that observation given that I have grown up with manual gears in a country where every car is a manual and where that style of driving would earn you a driving test fail and/or a lot of laughs.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

hmm, Interesting. So am I hurting my car with my driving techniques? I heard that it was okay but you go through brakes faster. Anyone else suggest David's veiwpoint?

Quick Reply: Drive By Wire