Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Pony Up
1st Gear Member

Default BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.

I see a bunch of stuff about the LM's here lately. Yes they are loud (do sound like a blugging boat at idle though) and they do sound good but when I called SLP directly and asked their teck about horse power issues hew did tell me the Loudmouths "DO make the 05-06 Mustangs loose horsepower". He said in order for the set to make sense one must use headers and off road mid pipes amunst other things. He said and I quote "Most dummies just like the sound and are sport car want to be's" as he chuckled. Said they did many different dyno"s to prove this.

Hmmm. Made me think of something else. I did ask if the Power flos had issuse and he said they "DID NOT rid the car of any horsepower". I did buy the Power Flos instead of the Loudmouths. They do have a deeper rumble but are not as "loud" as the LM's.
Just thought I"d chime in and let people who want horsepower "gains" know.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:51 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.

ORIGINAL: Pony Up

I see a bunch of stuff about the LM's here lately. Yes they are loud (do sound like a blugging boat at idle though) and they do sound good but when I called SLP directly and asked their teck about horse power issues hew did tell me the Loudmouths "DO make the 05-06 Mustangs loose horsepower". He said in order for the set to make sense one must use headers and off road mid pipes amunst other things. He said and I quote "Most dummies just like the sound and are sport car want to be's" as he chuckled. Said they did many different dyno"s to prove this.

Hmmm. Made me think of something else. I did ask if the Power flos had issuse and he said they "DID NOT rid the car of any horsepower". I did buy the Power Flos instead of the Loudmouths. They do have a deeper rumble but are not as "loud" as the LM's.
Just thought I"d chime in and let people who want horsepower "gains" know.
Dont know what kind of tech man would tell you that but its wrong.. in fact what he told you is very illogical. Mufflers cause back pressure. Thats a fact. Backpressure causes HP reduction. That is also a fact. Therefore eliminating the mufflers = eliminating backpressure = increase in HP (maybe not enough to be anything significant, something like 1 HP at the flywheel, who knows, but an increase none-the-less.) Simple logical thinking. Lets not even get into the physics of how straight pipes > mufflers.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Pony Up
1st Gear Member

Yes but in these cars we need backpressure. If you run open pipes you will loose horsepower.
I don't know a bunch about this but in the olden days with the carb set ups and everything else open was good not anymore. These cars run better with the cats and the backpressure..in stock form.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:01 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Dont know what kind of tech man would tell you that but its wrong.. in fact what he told you is very illogical. Mufflers cause back pressure. Thats a fact. Backpressure causes HP reduction. That is also a fact. Therefore eliminating the mufflers = eliminating backpressure = increase in HP (maybe not enough to be anything significant, something like 1 HP at the flywheel, who knows, but an increase none-the-less.) Simple logical thinking. Lets not even get into the physics of how straight pipes > mufflers.
Yeah i am with yeah on that. I dont know how or why anyone tryin to sell parts would tell u that it would take HP away. Sorry bud, that just doesnt make too much sense to me, that just awefully hard to swallow.. I would have to hear that in person or maybe see it on a dyno.

The stock mufflers where designed for sound and power from the factory just not enough sound. I dont see why anybody would get any other type of exhaust from SLP other than the Loudmouth. I have it on my 95 LT1 Z28 and my cousin has it on his 95 LT1 trans am, my friend has it on his 99 LS1 trans am and if i can afford it in the next few weeks i will have it along with a catless Xpipe for my 06 GT.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 AM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

BS.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 AM
Pony Up
1st Gear Member

A while back someone hee posted their car in stock form with the Loudmouths installed and did show a loose in HSP. They posted a dyno sheet. This was when the 05s were first out and the LM's were just released. People started looking into other axcle-back systems. If it's sound only a person wants then the Lm's are great. Also people said that their butt-meters could feel a little less punch on take offs after installing the LM's.

I just wanted to make a heads up and people can do their own research. Goin to bed.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Yes but in these cars we need backpressure. If you run open pipes you will loose horsepower.
I don't know a bunch about this but in the olden days with the carb set ups and everything else open was good not anymore. These cars run better with the cats and the backpressure..in stock form.
I personally dont believe that. I have had no one with any experience tell me that a car NEEDS backpressure. ALL evidence from the day a car was created until today points to the fact that the less backpressure the more HP. Sorry dude, if you dont believe me then look it up, talk to an engine expert, do something.. because its true. Its physics... honestly Im not trying to be a dick but thats how the laws of nature dictate the world and you cant argue with it... no matter what some dude at a company told you. If it had anything to do with the carbuerators they would have stopped doing straight pipes way back when all the cars became fuel injected.. but as you can see they still make them.. if this doesnt make sense to you, look at ANY high performance race car. NONE have mufflers... they are ALL fuel injected... simple fact is, straight pipes give more HP. Sounds like the dude was either joking with you or tryin to take you for a ride.. no idea why he would try and convince you not to buy his product but hey.. some people are strange.

BTW the SLP LM's are axle backs and DO NOT eliminate the cat converters.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:13 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

A while back someone hee posted their car in stock form with the Loudmouths installed and did show a loose in HSP. They posted a dyno sheet. This was when the 05s were first out and the LM's were just released. People started looking into other axcle-back systems. If it's sound only a person wants then the Lm's are great. Also people said that their butt-meters could feel a little less punch on take offs after installing the LM's.

I just wanted to make a heads up and people can do their own research. Goin to bed.
Im sure your intentions are good but you cant go by what some guy says, especially when it doesnt make sense and its not logical. And I just installed my SLP LM's myself the other day and I have NO performance loss.. even IF there was a HP loss (which there isnt, but Ill humor you) ...it wouldnt be so significant that someone would be able to feel it. Anyone who says that is full of ****. Sorry.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:35 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

yea boohooo....I'm still getting them either way, and that line of **** "people just want to have their cars sound like real sportscar"......ummm im sorry last time I checked my Mustang was a realy sportscar. To bad no one heard him tell you that, because I can guarantee you if they did they'd send him to work at a Ricer aftermarket supplier so he could be with "real" sportscars.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Settle down everyone, there's actually truth in both arguments being presented here. If you replace a stock exhaust system with one that flows much more freely (particularly if you remove the cats) and make no other changes, your car may indeed lose power. The reason is because it causes the car to run more lean. In the old days you had to rejet your carb to compensate, but these days if the change is small the car's computer will adjust for it. Here's an article related to this subject, it's for BMWs but you'll get the general idea:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

Quick Reply: BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.