Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:30 AM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

Default Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

Most everything else was impressive enough to make me want to give serious thought to buying this. But the cheap plastic interior, especially on the dash, are a huge concern. At first glance, I loved chrome or stainless steal look. But seconds later I realized how cheap the materials are. So much so that I am practically embarrassed for Ford. And then I said to the dealer, is that plastic? He actually took his fist and knocked on the gauges which gave a hollow sound. Yep. []

So I searched the forums and haven't noticed too much discussion about this. Is this something that really shouldn't hold anyone back who has been interested in getting a new gt for several years? Sure, I know there are plenty of kits I could get to replace with quality stuff. But for a Premium GT that is going to cost me near $28k, the thought of all that cheap silver colored plastic on the dash is just intimidating me. I think I would actually be embarrassed having friends ride in the car and notice all that cheapness in an otherwise remarkable piece of machinery. So am I being too harsh with this?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

Go to Chevy, find a new Vette, tap on the panels and dash and when you get that same cheap sound head back to Ford and save 20k, this isn't a Lexus. My previous car was an '04 Acura TL, very nice LOOKING interior but made cheaply, the head liner was held up by VELCRO, the dash speakers fell out, well you get the picture.

The Mustang is put together 10 times more solid than my Acura, it's more solid and while feeling like plastic looks fantastic. Had Ford put in expensive materials it would add more weight and cost. I for one feel the door panels could have been different but the rest is fine for me.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:07 PM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

I guess its all relative. One of the selling points for me was the interior. Compared to other cars similarly priced I think the quality is adequate and the styling is unique. One of the things that I disliked most about the earlier generation mustangs was how plain the interiors were. I think they have come a long way.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:17 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

That is real aluminum on the dash, not "silver plastic."
Old 07-03-2006, 12:27 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Most manufactures have been using plastic for all the dash and related parts for over 20 years now.

Richard
Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 PM
SaleenBuyer
1st Gear Member

Maybe the real issue is the more retro styling of the dash? These materials are common enough in all cars even luxury cars.

Have you looked at the graphite dash? Perhaps that design suits your tastes better.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Are you certain? It certainly didn't "feel" or sound metallic with the housings around the gauges. I would just hate to have to find out the hard way if the silver coating started peeling off after a few years.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CurtX

Are you certain? It certainly didn't "feel" or sound metallic with the housings around the gauges. I would just hate to have to find out the hard way if the silver coating started peeling off after a few years.
The trim rings around the guages and vents is plastic. The stuff on the dash, door handles, and door scuff plates is aluminum.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

The trim rings around the guages and vents is plastic. The stuff on the dash, door handles, and door scuff plates is aluminum.

Only if it's an IUP interior!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

The only thing I dislike about the interior is the "cash register green" digital read out that lists the Odometer. Not only does that look lame, but the added features such as "average miles per hour" is a waste of time. I'd have much rather had them discard that useless feature and spend the money on auto head lights or something. BTW I have a coworker who bought an 04 RX8, and his complaint about the Mustang is its interior. My belief is they are so overwhelmed by the cars exterior that no interior short of a luxury car would satisfy them. Fact is if you ever owned an original Mustang, you feel right at home with the interior layout.

Quick Reply: Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!