Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many owners over age 50 keeping car totally stock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 AM
tuco

Default RE: How many owners over age 50 keeping car totally stock?

Well, I am 62 and picking up my '07 GT/CS Vert this coming Saturday. I have had a lot of cars since age 16 driver's license but this one has me more excited than most. It is a third car for my wife and I so will see limited use (nice days, no winters, etc). I will likely keep it stock or very close to stock for reasons of resale/warranty (and because I have no interest in street competitions or racing it in any way).

I think Ford did a heck of good job on the new Mustang and have wanted one since they appeared in late 2004. I had a Bullitt previously, but one drive in the new one convinced me the new car is far superior.

Just my opinions.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Someone just wrote about a way to "fix" throttle lag. Has to do with:

Ignition on, engine not.

Depress throttle on about a three second stroke to full throttle.
Release throttle with about a three second release.
Wait a tad.
Shut off car.

Redo. Maybe three times.

One fella said he did it, took it for a spin, and was really a happy camper. Big change.

I don't drive mine every day, waiting till Saturday, got the instructions in the car.

ORIGINAL: tommyboy45

48 here with an '06 GT - Torch Red. I would like to keep it stock but the throttle lag is killing me. A tuner and tune are in my future to eliminate the lag, but that will be it. This car is a keeper in my book. I am not looking at the resale, just enjoy it the way it is.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Just hit the BIG 59. [:@]

Last car was a really modified BMW. Was pretty tired of hitting bumps that felt like moutains, dips that felt like canyons, being really careful on driveways and speed bumps.

Haven't done anything yet. Money issues. [:@]

I think I'd go for new sway bars and underhood brace. Don't think I REALLY want it lower, but...

Maybe a "tune" and the intake change, but, "Money issues" preclude me from too much worry yet.

ORIGINAL: oldschoolera

I am age 50, first mustang (GT, manual, redfire clearcoat) and have contemplated some minor mods. But, experience tells me to keep it totally stock for resale. I would love to hear from anyone with an opinion on this issue.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Forgot to say I'm 60.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 AM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to be 56 just bolt on mods, keeping all stock parts. Mods listed in my signature.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Well, I turn 51 in two weeks. Yep, I've modded it, and intend to continue to do so. However, everything I have done so far, and plan to do going forward, could and would be removed to revert back to stock over the course of a weekend.....(if I was still young, I would have said during the course of a day!!)

Oh, and by the way, it all started with a CAI and tune, which I was scared sh*tless to do. Thanks to Brenspeed, the legend lives......

Someone just wrote about a way to "fix" throttle lag. Has to do with:

Ignition on, engine not.

Depress throttle on about a three second stroke to full throttle.
Release throttle with about a three second release.
Wait a tad.
Shut off car.

Redo. Maybe three times.

One fella said he did it, took it for a spin, and was really a happy camper. Big change.

I don't drive mine every day, waiting till Saturday, got the instructions in the car.
Works for me too. I do this any time I change the tune, or feel the car getting a bit doggy....However, when I do it, after depressing the throttle in a smooth motion, I let off the throttle abruptly, not over the course of three seconds....don't really know if it matters....

Mike
Old 08-11-2006, 06:57 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

25 here... (yep, I realise I should flip the numbers to be eligible to post in this tread, but I can't lie)

I can tell you know our GT is stock, and will remain stock. I have no intention of tuning it. I think it's fast enough, and any tuning will screw up resale value further down the road.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Just the mods below. Its my 13.0 sec - 1/4 mi. everyday work car.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:06 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I'll be 50.. someday... Our car was stock for 17,000 miles and/or 9 months. I wanted to wait a year but I just couldn't do it! Next on the list of upgrades is brakes. I guess we'll just have to live with 480hp until next summer and might just 'crack' into lower end and see what a s/c 4.6 WILL handle. 05SDI
Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 AM
FlaSVT

Fifty real soon and I plan to mod the car in ways that can be put back to stock if needed. For example, I have a line on a wrecked 06 GT with less than 2k on the clock. The engine and tranny are undamaged. The engine from the wrecked 06 can be pulled and built to handle FI of my choice. Once that is done, the stock engine in mine can be pulled and left as is. When I decide to dump my 06 in a couple of years, the stock engine can be reinstalled and the built one sold. I learned a long time ago that when you play you might as well forget about warranty. As for resale value, by the time these cars are worth anything as collectors I'll be sitting in a rocker somewhere eating applesause and babbeling about cam lift and the good ol days of 35 cent gasoline.

Drive it like you own it and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: How many owners over age 50 keeping car totally stock?