Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system

So yall are saying none of the GTs have this before 07? Because I have gotten a low tire pressure light on my dash before.. is that not the same thing?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
07stangGrl
2nd Gear Member

BL1nkage That is what I was told..Because that is the First question I asked when I was going to change my wheels. Does the 07 have TPMS? and they said No not on the mustangs.. Then when I Changed them and This happen I thought hummm and like I said even the Dealership Manager was stumped...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:32 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Hm.. maybe I am crazy.. I could have sworn I saw that "low tire pressure" light before...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
07stangGrl
2nd Gear Member

Got throught your set up where it tells you that your door is closed and trunk and security is working and all that stuff see if it says anything about Tire pressure sensor OK
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 AM
jay00f4
2nd Gear Member

Took 4 hrs to put wheels on my car friday because of the sensors. You have to take hem off the old wheels and put them on the new ones. We had a hard time finding bands to fit the sensors but made it happen.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:01 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

where did you find bands?

Ernie, yeah I think they did use tape and it doesn't work. At high speeds I think the sensor's coming off. If I can get some 20 inch bands that would be great.

Also, at freeway speeds there's a lot of vibration, is that a balancing issue? or would the tire pressure sensor misplacement cause that?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

fyi according to the NHTSA website, the 2006 mustang did not have TPMS as either standard or optional, but the 2007 has it as standard.

I recall no information in my 2006 owners manual about it, nor in any literature. I'll check the idiot lights on startup, but I would have noted that right away...
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

fyi according to the NHTSA website, the 2006 mustang did not have TPMS as either standard or optional, but the 2007 has it as standard.

I recall no information in my 2006 owners manual about it, nor in any literature. I'll check the idiot lights on startup, but I would have noted that right away...
Maybe I was halucinating... [&:]
Old 09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: erniep

Hi all,
I'm a part time car freak but a full time electronics geek designing TPMS systems. The Ford corporate standard TPMS system for 2007 is a sensor module banded to your wheel. The little sensor module that's snapped to the band measures presure, temperature, and if the sensor is rolling. It has a battery to power the electronics and does send the pressure information via an RF signal ... a lot like the RKE signal. There's an RF receiver built into the body electronics module in the car which receives the RF message from the sensor and calculates whether to tell your a tire's low or not. The system is very accurate and if the TPMS light comes on ... check your tires.

The sensor and system are quite complex and do deserve your attention when you have your tires worked on. Be sure your tire shop tests the sensors to be sure they work before you leave (there are special tools to do this). Custom wheels are a problem, because you'll need a custom band if you go to bigger wheels (the metal band wraps completely around the wheel, inside the tire).

If you have any specific questions, I'll probably be able to answer them
Thanx, Ernie

2005 Roush Stage 1 .... waiting for reliable S/C
How long will the batteries last and are they replaceable?
Where do you get these bands?
Is there any way to shut the system off?
What special tools are required to test it, I'll bet nobody has them, dealer and tire stores here don't have a clue.
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

yeah ideally i would want to shut off the system. ernie, help! haha

Quick Reply: TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system