Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have 33,000 miles on my 05' and they are replaceing my ball joints. Also.............

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default I have 33,000 miles on my 05' and they are replaceing my ball joints. Also.............

After just 33,000 miles of driving I had a tech. at Ford recommend to me to replace the tires. Is this normal? Anyway I did. I bought the new ones same as stock for 125 a piece. They checked my alignment and found out my ball joints needed replacing so at least I'm getting my alignment for free and a course they are changing the ball joints. Anyone else?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 PM
GM Supercar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I have 33,000 miles on my 05' and they are replaceing my ball joints. Also.............

That doesn't sound right to me at all. The ball joints should last much longer than that.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I have 33,000 miles on my 05' and they are replaceing my ball joints. Also.............

Yes Sir that is for certain but since this is the first year for the car there has been a couple of bugs. I want to know about the tires? What is a normal life in miles for a high performance tire?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:49 PM
GM Supercar
1st Gear Member

The life of the tire depends on how soft the compound is and how you drive the car. I would say average is 15,000-30,000 miles for a performance car.

As for the ball joints, I still think something is not right there. New car or not, the ball joints are a VERY basic component - it's not like they changed the design or anything.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Beats me on the ball joints. But at least it was caught while I just got the new tires so I don't wear them down.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Soo...how does the warranty come into play here? Of course you're paying for the tires, but you're also paying for the ball joints, right? I agree that this doesn't seem right at all. Is someone trying to screw you...?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I went in for an oil change and it was brought up to me about the tires. I have now confirmed that the tires have gone more than normal mileage for that kind of tire. Now to your question since I am buying new ones it will prevent them from usual wear by replacing the ball joints since I was informed they can cause tire wear. I hope I answered that clearly.
ORIGINAL: HypromanGT

Soo...how does the warranty come into play here? Of course you're paying for the tires, but you're also paying for the ball joints, right? I agree that this doesn't seem right at all. Is someone trying to screw you...?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

It sounds as though the ball joints are being replaced under warranty (as they should be).
Old 09-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

That can't be right, I still have the originals in an old '85 GT.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So are you paying for new balljoints or is the warranty covering them? Sorry, but I didn't think you answered clearly. Also has your car been lowered?

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I went in for an oil change and it was brought up to me about the tires. I have now confirmed that the tires have gone more than normal mileage for that kind of tire. Now to your question since I am buying new ones it will prevent them from usual wear by replacing the ball joints since I was informed they can cause tire wear. I hope I answered that clearly.

Quick Reply: I have 33,000 miles on my 05' and they are replaceing my ball joints. Also.............