Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:07 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

ORIGINAL: TinPony

Just found this on another forum:
This is really starting to scare me. Please tell us, what forum did you find this at?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:56 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

This is starting to scare me a little bit to now....so far I have had no leaks but HAVE noticed what seem to be wet spots on the passenger side floor. I never really thought twice about it. It's currently pooring rain here in sunny Florida, but first thing tomorow morning i am going to go check it out and rip out that carpet behind the glove box and see if I have the same problems......I hope no though I have a bunch of aftermarket electrical crap for my stereo system up there

Thanks for all the great info though !!!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:46 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Wingman75:: www.shelbyautos.com go to the public forum from the main page
Old 12-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BHRS

If the problem is a plugged drain, where is it??? If it is easy to get to then it is something to keep an eye on-or if it is in a difficult then add the inspection to your regular service schedule.

I have been reading this thread hoping the problem does not involve the '07's. I am ordering my Vista Blue GT next week.....
"I am not originally from Texas or a Ford owner, but I got here as fast as I could!!!"

Welcome to both worlds partner!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:57 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TinPony

Wingman75:: www.shelbyautos.com go to the public forum from the main page
Thanks for the link. This is so irresponsible of Ford. I figured they would have fixed this on the 2007s since they knew about it for 2 years. But now it looks like they didn't since 07s are starting to report cowl leaks with flooded floors and wet electricals. It may take a major uprising and public exposure to get anything done. We need to take the bull by the horns and show we mean business. Someone needs to step up and lead a revolt, a campaign to get something done. This is just what Ford needs right now, more negative publicity.

It seems to me trying to enlist the support of Carroll Shelby himself would be a good strategy. I don't think he wants his name associated with a product with an increasingly destructive problem. The more cars they build the worse the problem becomes. Since the electricals are at risk I think that a prospective safety issue is also a possibility. The government agency dealing with safety issues could be employed.

Possibly Ford is letting this ride till the next model change-over. This would not be good for us or those still contemplaiting buying an S197 in one of its derivatives. Its one thing to have a problem and see a fix being applied and quite another for Ford to keep owners in the dark.

I know we have some Ford insiders on MF. How about getting some info on this issue? I just want to know that something is being done about it and that its not going to be covered up and forgotten.

We need a leader(s) to take this further... any volunteers?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:12 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Wingman, I work for Ford and have been following this thread regarding the leak. I have a 2006 Mustang GT and I have been one of the lucky ones with no leak. I have been periodically checking the FMCDealer.commessage boards (Ford employees and dealer personnel only) and not a single tech has brought up this issue on the boards. I can tell you that the techs are not shy about bringing up any issue they have to see if other techs have experienced the same thing and how they fixed a particular issue. This tellsme that although the issue seems large on this forum......it may be fairly small in reality. I am willing to compile a list of VINs of those vehicles effected to see if there is some common denominator we're missing here. PM me your VIN if you have had water leak into the passenger footwell which was not caused by your own carelessness (window left open, cut a hole in the car for wiring to aftermarket equip and didn't properly seal that hole, water bottle cap not on tight, etc).
Old 12-23-2006, 05:12 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

Wingman, I work for Ford and have been following this thread regarding the leak. I have a 2006 Mustang GT and I have been one of the lucky ones with no leak. I have been periodically checking the FMCDealer.com message boards (Ford employees and dealer personnel only) and not a single tech has brought up this issue on the boards. I can tell you that the techs are not shy about bringing up any issue they have to see if other techs have experienced the same thing and how they fixed a particular issue. This tells me that although the issue seems large on this forum......it may be fairly small in reality. I am willing to compile a list of VINs of those vehicles effected to see if there is some common denominator we're missing here. PM me your VIN if you have had water leak into the passenger footwell which was not caused by your own carelessness (window left open, cut a hole in the car for wiring to aftermarket equip and didn't properly seal that hole, water bottle cap not on tight, etc).
ORIGINAL: bascho
PM me your VIN if you have had water leak into the passenger footwell
Thanks bascho I appreciate your effort as I'm sure the others do too. I feel like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar because I actually haven't had the leak as of yet. I just get upset that people get the run around while thier cars deteriorate. My car is garaged and I do not drive it in the rain or snow. But I could have the leak just getting it washed. I haven't lifted the carpet yet but the surface has been dry. I am also concerned that if this persists it creates a reputation that lowers our resale value. I think that since I've become a member of MF I'm getting more and more paranoid reading about the problems some are having. I start hearing things that are not there. I feel vibrations and have to ask the passenger for confirmation.

As you say the problem could be minor in Fords eyes when looking at the big picture. I did think of that. We are so concerned with our cars here compared with the general public too. Hopefully they will get a handle on this and fix it once and for all.

So bascho, thanks for easing my fears a bit.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

>> I think that since I've become a member of MF I'm getting more and more paranoid reading about the problems some are having. I start
>> hearing things that are not there. I feel vibrations and have to ask the passenger for confirmation.

When I first bought my '04 Nissan Titan, I mentioned some of the issuesthat Iheard about on TitanTalk.com to the service writer, even though I was not having those issues. He jokingly referred to the forum as a "whiner board", but from other comments he made it was clearits best to not mentionyou heard about problems on owner forums, as they might think you are imagining those problems.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:05 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I have had the car for over a year now and haven't had any leak issues and it's been down pouring where I live.It hasen'tstopped rainingfor the past couple of days. I did on the othe hand pull the carpet back and the kick panel and used clear silicone at the top of the floor board body seem do to the fact there was a tiny spot where it didn't get cover/sealed all the way. This was located in the right front corner of the floor board. I also noticed there was a hole on the left side of the fuse block that was threaded for a bolt but there wasn't any thing bolted through it. It had a rusty rim around the threads and I cleaned it up/painted it with touch up paint and put a bolt in it. This may well be a area to check for leaks. I guess if you find a reason to seal something it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

We've had a few days of hard rain here and I was driving my '06 around in it yesterday. I checked behind the glove box, inside the access door, under the carpets etc. and I can find no trace of dampness. I did not look under the hood. Makes me thing that this problem may be more of a hit-or-miss situation or one that develops over time. Anyone else NOT having this problem like me?

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS