Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

ORIGINAL: Juntech

Just curious, has this been TSB'ed?
Its in the works... read the posts.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

OK.... Still leaking!

Instead of a really heavy rain, I had a light, but constant drizzle all day today. The difference from previous "mother nature" tests is that I drove the car at least two hours or more today in addition to just parking it in the rain. I drove at least 60 miles or more at highway speeds (avg. 70mph) and a fair amount on regular streets and such.

The water I found after all this was still significantly less than previous leaks and I find this encouraging. It "seems" as though of the three "fixes" I have had done thus far, at least some of the entry points have been blocked. I am reasonably sure that my leak, as theorized by others as well, has been a result of multiple entry points.

I've notified my service advisor at the dealership that has been handling this, who in turn will discuss the issue with the director and get back with me. I asked that before I bring it in yet again (for the 4th time on this issues) that they try to confirm that a TSB is in the works and perhaps even extract any information releasable to give them an idea as to how to proceed next.

bascho - any rough e.t.a. on the release of this TSB?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
yllwpony

I have a 2006 Mustang GT & I have serious water leak problems also. This is actually my 2nd GT, we had the 1st car for less then a month & had to return it to dealer because the mold smell was soooo bad that you could smell it outside the car with the windows closed. We got our 2nd car in the middle of Mayhad no problems for months. Had it custom painted & enjoyed driving it. We put little mileage on car (for us) & the car rarely is driven in the rain & sits covered in our driveway 85% of the time. We do wash the car in the short 8 months since we've had it more then normal people wash their cars in a lifetime (sometimes 3x's a week). My wife got in the car in October & thought she was imagining things when she smelled mold again in the new car. When she did mention it to me Iconfirmed that I smelled it also. We took it to the dealer who replaced the plug & re-sealed the seam like everyone has been talking about. Then they sanatized the car. It smelled like oranges with a hint of mold[:'(]. Several weeks later the smell return (duh) & we called the dealer & told them that we wanted the interior replaced. We were informed by service manager that Ford would only pay for replacing the carpet. My wife contacted the Ford rep for the dealership & thru talking to him he agreed to replace everything fabric in the car, foam in the seat, leather covers on all seats, carpet, pad, headliner, carpet on rear deck near speakers, carpet in the trunk, even the visors. They had the car one day & it was done. We got the car back on 12/29/06 & it was driven Saturday night, washed Sunday & covered. It rained 12/31 thru 1/01/07 but the car sat until 1/2/07. When my wife removed cover & got in the car she noticed moisture on the plastic covering the carpets (dealer had ordered wrong mats for the front & rear & left the plastic on the carpet to protect carpet until mats came in) it looked like when you wrap something in plastic & refrigerate it, moisture collects under plastic. This was 4 short days from the entire gutting of our car. We called the dealer & made arrangements to bring the car back & have a Ford engineer come down & inspect the car. This was 1/10/07 & they have had the car since. The Ford rep went to the plug & the seam but was informed by dealer that those things had been fixed. He said the other option was to remove the fender & re-weld the seam. So the car sits at the bodyshop with the fenders off & the wiring harness a mess waiting for Ford rep to come show bodyshop guys what needs to be re-welded. The radio stopped working for 2days, but the lighter worked. We were told that they were going to replace the radio & the "smart-box". If I wanted to do a ground up restoration on a car I would have bought a '69 Boss or 64.5 Galaxie. This is ridiculous. Froma serious life long Ford guy I can say that I am seriously dissappointed. Now I have a car that has been gutted , had interior replacedonce, carpet replaced twice, radio once & the smart box once, what next?[:@]
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
adnlyn

i know what your going threw...my car has been at the dealer for 6 weeks. they replaced the rugs and padding under the rug and behind the dash. the entire inside of the car was removed and supposededly fixed the leak i should be getting the car back in a few days but i am going to trade it in...i was thinking of getting a vert but now i dont know if i want anther mustang at all.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Guys, I no longer need anyone to provide their VIN to me. I was compiling the VINs to help assist service engineering with research into the issue. Once I was informed that the plant was already working on a TSB,I no longer had to create my list. Thanks to those that had provided their VIN.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yllwpony

... If I wanted to do a ground up restoration on a car I would have bought a '69 Boss or 64.5 Galaxie. This is ridiculous ...
I could not agree more. It is simply absurb to think that someone - anyone - can buy a new vehicle only to have to worry about water leaking into it.

Worst of all, is Ford's response [read: denial]. It wasonly 3 weeks ago when the official word was " ... we don't know anything about it ..." as evidenced by the post below.

ORIGINAL: bascho -- 12/23/06 - post #126 on this forum

...I work for Ford and have been following this thread regarding the leak ...I have been periodically checking the FMCDealer.commessage boards (Ford employees and dealer personnel only) and not a single tech has brought up this issue on the boards. I can tell you that the techs are not shy about bringing up any issue they have to see if other techs have experienced the same thing and how they fixed a particular issue. This tellsme that although the issue seems large on this forum......it may be fairly small in reality ...
Is it really any wonder why Ford is struggling (along with GM), and Toyota stands to soon becomethe world's largestvehicle manufacturer? It's disgusting.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:03 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: mail906

ORIGINAL: yllwpony

... If I wanted to do a ground up restoration on a car I would have bought a '69 Boss or 64.5 Galaxie. This is ridiculous ...
I could not agree more. It is simply absurb to think that someone - anyone - can buy a new vehicle only to have to worry about water leaking into it.

Water leaking is as bad as oil sludge. Its like driving a car in the rain without a top.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

[/quote]

Is it really any wonder why Ford is struggling (along with GM), and Toyota stands to soon become the world's largest vehicle manufacturer? It's disgusting.
[/quote]

The people with Toyota engine failure due to sludging might disagree [8D].

I'm not defending Ford at all, but every car has problems and some dealers are better at service than others.
It's just a fact of life.

Getting back to leaks, my 2003 GT Vert (leak has nothing to do with top), had a puddle in the rear passenger side floor plan again after intense rain and with the car parked uphill.
I thought I had beat it by sealing the seam where the rear floorpan meets the frame rail but evidently not.

This time I pulled the passenger seat, rolled back the carpet and pulled every thing off on that side including the cover over the computer etc.
I flooded the car outside with water and discovered the seepage where I missed a spot with my silicon rubber so I siliconed the life out of the entire seam from front to back and when it dried the next day, I hit it with the hose, poured gallons of water into the cowl etc and it APPEARED to be fixed.

On a whim I took the car for a ride, with all the carpet/padding removed or folded back.

Imagine my surprise when I made a quick stop and from the front passenger side where the computer is located
water came spouting out like a freaking water fountain!!!!

It turns out that there is a couple of holes there that evidently were not plugged at the factory and while most of the water coming in from the top goes out the normal drain (if you look through the hole you can actually see the ground), enough of it collects and when you stop it comes rushing forward, hits the hole and squirts out all over the place.

When you take off, it finds it's way to the rear floorpan....

More silicon and I believe I have now fixed it.
FWIW I also bleached the padding, ran it through the clothes drier and sprayed a mild bleach solution on the rubber carpet backing.
I only had a minor smell, but it seems gone now.

In conclusion, I am convinced that Ford is not sealing the welded seams with proper, or enough seam sealer and the gaps and brittleness of this stuff is the cause of leaks in Ford cars.
Add in a couple of missing/unseated grommets and it's a nightmare.

Although mine is a 2003, I see a lot of the same stuff happening.
Fortunately the holes in my car are below all the electronics so I am not dealing with that horror story.

I hope it is FINALLY fixed now as I have been driving for a week with the carpet pulled, it has rained and I see no more water.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:11 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

And NOW.... the moment you've all been waiting for. Well, maybe you haven't been waiting for it and maybe this isn't THE moment. But by gosh, here are the results of my 4th (FOURTH) visit to the dealership and first "real world" test thereafter. Mind you... I still want two more solid real world test before I allow myself to become comfortable that myleak is fixed. That said, it is still difficult to hold back the excitement of my firsttrue "no leak" experience under circumstances that most certainly would've produced the leak. Yes, I've said that nearly exact thing before and so I must resist theexcitement until further testing.

Dealership Service Ticket Info (01/22/07) - Quoting the summary portionas printed:

"16128 WATER LEAK RIGHT FRT FLOOR BOARD GETTING WET WATER LEAK TEST FOUND RIGHT FRT FLOOR BOARD SOAKED. WATER COMING IN FROM RIGHT FRT COWL PANEL PINCH WELD. R&R CENTER CONSOLE ASSEMBLY REMOVE DASH ASSEMBLY TO ACCESS COWL PANEL. RESEAL COWL PANEL. REMOVE RIGHT OUTSIDE COWL PANEL AND INSPECT RETAINING CLIPS FOR LIFTING UP. KNOWN FOUND LIFTING UP. DID RESEAL RIGHT SIDE BODY SEAM AND REMOVE ALL RETAINER CLIPS APPLY SEALER TO BACK SIDE AND REINSTALL INTO COWL PANEL SHEETMETAL REASSEMBLY DASH AND RETEST FOR LEAK NO LEAK FOUND AT THIS TIME. REMOVE WET CARPET DRY CARPET AND FLOOR BOARD INSTALL NEW JUTE PADDING REINSTALL CARPET REINSTALL CARPET REINSTALL CENTER CONSOLE OK AFTER REPAIR. M-TIME FOR JUTE WORK BODY"

And results of my first "real world" test (01/24/07):

Exposed car to moderate, steady rain from 6:30AM to around 2:30PM. Drove at highway speeds in contuing, moderate rain about 80 miles and another 15 miles or so on side streets, stop and go traffice, etc. Whenever parked throughout the day... was uncovered and being rained on. Never saw any visible signs of the leak into the carpet in the passenger side while driving along. Finally, around 2:30PM, I took a deep breath, walked over and opened the passenger side door, bent over and began physically inspecting the exposed area of carpeting where it meets the kick plate just below the little access panel - DRY in all respects. Removed little access panel (to the fuse box or ECM thingy) and thoroughly inspected insideds of plastic (kick plate) and carpeting and padding inside this area.... DRY in all respects.

I was truly impressed. Almost enough to declare that my particular leak is fixed. BUT... need those two more similar, and hopefully even stronger, "real world" tests... and then I will jump for joy!

It seems that with each "repair", the ensuing amoung of water leaking in was less and less until no leak after today's test. Indeed, it would seem at least that my particular leak was/is the result of multiple entry points. I dunno, but I am glad it is (almost) over. [8D][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=shades.gif][sm=rant.gif]
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

typical ford quality control problem...i personally would never ever buy a new ford...i always wait years for the depreciation to take effect...that way i'm not paying a premium for all of the subsequent the problems.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS