Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: Embalmer

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Remember you guys, and any of you can test this for yourself, the convertables don't thunk! They share exactly the same parts as we do except for the addition of the subframecross member. They have it and our's don't have it. New stock front ends with cross members = NO THUNKING.
New stock front ends without cross members = THUNKING!

I would try the cross membernow but I don't want to blow the chance of getting it fixed under warranty. I would also insist that theyat least replace thestrut mounts if not the entire strut assemblies at the same time so we start off fresh! And yes I did already ask if Ford would re-emburse me for the cost of the cross member install when they come out with the TSB and I was told "no".
Wolfey,

I'm still hanging around waiting for some results, but I must correct you on the above statement. Unless you aren't counting the Steeda G-Trac brace as "the bar" I've replaced both upper mounts and added the bar to no avail. The only thing I'm confident in is that if Ford reengineers the strut mounts we might have the solution.
Yah, I've seen pics of Steeda's 4 point brace. Ain't the same animal and not even close to the same design as the original Ford cross member. BMR and the other make are not the same either except they are closer in design. The aftermarket braces/cross members do not bolt up the same way or to the same place as the factory brace does.
Look here at post #193. https://mustangforums.com/m_2297319/...10/key_/tm.htm
Look at the two parts blowups and you'll see part # 5025 which is the missing part on our coupes. You'll also see that the convertable and coupe's suspension system's / parts are identical just like Ford says they are.
The converts don't thunk and the coupes do thunk.
Go test drive a convertable and you'll hear no thunking. Drive a used one with 15K miles on it and you'll hear no thunking. Drive a coupe and you will hear thunking, GT or Pony. Try manual or automatic. Makes no difference.
Also have a look at the attachments of 5 pic's which show the stockfactory cross member installed.
You can draw your own conclusions but I am stickingwith what Isaid earlier and have been saying all along.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

The Steeda brace is 2 point, and it uses the holes forward of the ones the OEM brace does. The Steeda brace is also on "top" of the subframe, whereas the "flat" parts of the Ford brace sit vertically rather than horizontally. My personal opinon is it doesn't make that much of a difference one way or the other, not enough to cause thunking or no thunking. But at this point it's moot! The TSB may prove us right or wrong or who cares as long as it works!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Moot Northy? Gee, did I forget to forget about this problem? ;-p
No really, I mean it's not moot at all IMO.
You say yourself "it doesn't make that 'much' difference one way or the other".
Now I wouldn't settle for 'that much difference' as there is a slight difference and it could be significant enough due to the fact that the Ford cross member has an advantage over the aftermarket braces in that there is more leverage where it attaches that with the aftermarket units. The aftermarket ones use right angle brackets or braces at the ends of their bars. That is a weak spot IMO. A place that will allow flexing and perhaps breakage at a later time.
Yes, the difference is more or less minor but certainly not moot man if that's what you meant.
Anyway, I am keeping my frustration level in check because I decided to be patient and totally analytical about this situation. There IS a logical solution! A simple matter of cause and effect thus finding the cause and correcting it will solve the thunking issue to be perfectly elementary my good man ;}.
Wolfey2k
Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Shouldn't have said anything. Just saying that whatever the brace looks like or where it goes or doesn't go, I hope the TSB fixes everybody's cars, that's all.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Any sub-frame reinforcement is good in my book but to say one could flex more than the other is questionable. They all look preaty strong. If we were talking racing at Lime Rock or a road course were G-Force was really used, flex could be an issue. But for normal driving on the roads and bumps I don't think any flexing is going on. Why didn't Ford put them on all cars? Who knows. And there are noise problems on all Mustangs, from coupes to conv to Shelbys. 6's & GT's. Why some don't show it right away or some show it with under 10 miles is beyond me. That's why I figure when the people were assembling the struts in the factory maybe not every box of mounts were bad or they weren't assembled correctly. (torque etc.) Plus car weight could be an issue. Conv are 125lb more than the coupe. I think the fellow a while back was on to something when he figured it was the drivers weight that made it always be that the noise started on the right side with everyone. My left at 1200 miles. Because you figure all the struts were assembled in one room, there is no right & left strut.Then they were delivered to the assembly line. I just wanted to rehash all this because were still trying to figure this out. If Ford would get off there butts and start giving the dealers some info we wouldn't be driving ourselves crazy.
This wasn't to start anything up, I just wanted people to know that there was conv & Shelby owners on this thread that had the problem off the dealers lot.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:07 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Any sub-frame reinforcement is good in my book but to say one could flex more than the other is questionable. They all look preaty strong. If we were talking racing at Lime Rock or a road course were G-Force was really used, flex could be an issue. But for normal driving on the roads and bumps I don't think any flexing is going on. Why didn't Ford put them on all cars? Who knows. And there are noise problems on all Mustangs, from coupes to conv to Shelbys. 6's & GT's. Why some don't show it right away or some show it with under 10 miles is beyond me. That's why I figure when the people were assembling the struts in the factory maybe not every box of mounts were bad or they weren't assembled correctly. (torque etc.) Plus car weight could be an issue. Conv are 125lb more than the coupe. I think the fellow a while back was on to something when he figured it was the drivers weight that made it always be that the noise started on the right side with everyone. My left at 1200 miles. Because you figure all the struts were assembled in one room, there is no right & left strut.Then they were delivered to the assembly line. I just wanted to rehash all this because were still trying to figure this out. If Ford would get off there butts and start giving the dealers some info we wouldn't be driving ourselves crazy.
This wasn't to start anything up, I just wanted people to know that there was conv & Shelby owners on this thread that had the problem off the dealers lot.
UGH!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I finally talked to the Executive with answers........."Under Investigation" We went over everything again and why the lame answers, were's the TSB and when. And when she contacted the Mustang Division they would only say "Under Investigation". No mention of TSB's or anything. I asked if Bill Ford knew about this and Yes he does. So does this make me feel any better, not really. At least I finally got an answer after 4 weeks. I'm sorry Wolfey that I mention stuff that doesn't match your findings. I'm just stating what I think. Like all the aftermarket braces. They can't be all crap just because it's not like Fords design. They mount in the same area and look strong. Fords is just a tube flattened on each end. That could flex too at the flat point technicly. And sure the convs you've dealt with don't have the noise. But some do have it. So I'm not saying anything against you or your findings. Please don't take it that way. I just want this problem to get fixed for all of us. My letter to the Board didn't do much except bring the knowledge to the top. If it helps, who knows. So lets keep voicing opinions, and nothing is personal. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Thanks Jay.
Don't worry. I didn't take offense to anything you said. I was just agreeing with your frustration.
I know how you feel and that's one reason I refuse to get into hit or miss parts replacement plus the fact that it just doesn't make sense to me to do things that way, especially these days.

I'll check with my service manager today if I can get hold of him to see what the deal is based on what you wrote. Intersting thatwe'd get direct answers from the Mustang team yet the exec's at Ford, who are probably just babbling beurocrats running stall tactics on youanyway, say they only heard that it's under investigation. That is SO vague and so typical of execs to espew beurocratic stallinggarbage like that! Makes me want to find and kick the snot out of one of those suits until I get the answer and resultsI demand! Now does that seem frustrated enough for ya? ;[

Later!
Wolfey2k
Old 03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Wolfey, that gave me a good laugh. Haven't had one in a while. I was just down at my dealership too, wanted to relay the Exec. message. They're on my side, they want this done with too.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey no problemo Jay, you deserved to have a good chuckle ;-).
This will all get sorted out soon. I HOPE!
Wolfey2k

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise