Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

I am currently negotiating on a new Shelby GT. I think I'll send the link to this thread to my dealer.

Also, if we had someone here who works for Ford, perhaps they could provide an email address to which this thread could be sent.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
vladimirmaleev

yes ia gues we all have the same problrm i have a 05 GT i replaced struts,ball joints controll arms strut beds towers same thing.untill i saw that forum.now i can sleep clam.i read a couple of people saying that the sway bar eliminator kit solved the problem.but that sway bar eliminator radiator support is that gonna change the handeling of the car in a bad way and isnt it gonna be all over the place on the turns without a sway bar or that's acting like a sway bar let me know please.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Do the Shelby GT and GT500 owners experience this thunking noise also?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
vladimirmaleev

a friend of mine has a 281 saleen smae thing 6500 miles on it has it since new
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

from what i've heard from folks who took off the sway bar you should be fine. i had mine off and it was pretty much the same. if you're going to race or autocrossit's best to have it on there.

we have reports from one shelby GT500 owner that he has the thunking noise. but that's it as far as i know on the shelbys.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya I agree about removing the swaybar for street use. I don't think it would be a good idea even if you weren't doing autocross or hanging corners. My thinking is if there was an accident with bad injuries there could be a liability lawsuit in your direction. Long ago someone mentioned a person worked at Ford and got fired because of helping people. (maybe on the job) So I doubt a Ford worker might step forward. I don't think it's a matter of proving to Ford there is a problem. They know there is. It's a matter of Ford stepping up and fixing our cars. We all know "money" is the key factor of business. This fix would be costly. I'll throw out a figure of $300 per car (Fords cost) at 30,000 cars per model year is 9 million per year. 27 million total. And this is low guess. It's probably more cars and more dollars per car to fix. So it's not surprising that they don't want to fix our cars or they might be waiting for the 05's to run their warrenty out. Or the big "if" is they say it's a noise issue and not safety and don't fix any of our cars. Been 3 model years now without a fix so it wouldn't surprise me at all. So you can understand the frustration of all this. We all bought what we thought would be a great car not a thunking suspension car that sounds like it has 100,000 miles on it. My car never felt like it was new as I had the noise driving off the dealers lot.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
vladimirmaleev

no i wont race it eccept on some street light to show some punk with a honda what its all about but thats about it.and i'll be driving it daily,and on long road too like i'm from jersey and i travell a lot to PA and NY and when you took it off did the clanking noise stopped?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
vladimirmaleev

you're right they wont do s h i ttt probably but have someone got rid of the noise bu changing the sway bar with after market.i saw steeda have that tubular one with urethane buchings i wonder if someone tried it?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Vlad, I removed mine (swaybar) with links and still made the thunking noise. The aftermarket swaybar that has helped is the solid one that Cal-Mustang sells. I have it ordered and should be here tomorrow I hope. I'll let you guys know if it stops the noise. Look at this thread page 45 post # 883 and you'll see the link to the swaybar.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Evidently, removing the anti-sway bar doesn't get rid of the thunking noise.
I am convinced that the noise comes from strut clacking. In other words the strut mount clascks but it doesn't sound like a clack due to the buffering of the suspension and cockpit acoustics converting it into a thunking noise before it hits ones ears.

Anyway, if you want to get rid of the thunking noise, remove the strut assemblies ;-D....That will surely cure the problem. Driving it is not an option of afterwords of course!

I have my machinst 'Stevo' making me a steel cross member to my specs'.
It's going to be pretty cool in that it won't require nylock nuts or nuts at all.
Just 4 bolts, lock washers and of course some good ol' locktite!

After I get it from him I'll take pics of it by itself and pics of it installed. Then I shall cross my fingers and any other apendages I can cross and pray the thunking is GONE! Wish me luck!
Mine isn't as serious as others might be so I am hopful that this will suppress the clackingproblem and it will then be a dead issue for me, at least so I don't have to put up with it. But I won't give up the fight to get Ford to caugh up the TSB as promised!

On that note, I was thinking of setting up a form on my hosting server. I don't think I'll get killed $$ by bandwidth useage so I won't mind setting it up for everyone to use.

All I need is the form or someone who knows how to build forms or where I can download a ready made form that can be set up to have specific fields.

We can either write our own letter in the body or we can simply have it set up pre-written and have others fill in their name and VIN number which will be secure by the way so only Ford see's them.
I think having ones VIN included with ones name is important so Ford can see this fluod of email or letters are coming from real INDIVIDUAL people one for one!

Ilmor,
on the SHELBY question,,,
I belive that the Shelby owner that HAD the thunking noise solved it by tightening up the sway bar links. It was not caused by strut clacking.
Shelby GT 500's come with the factory cross member, same as the convert's have. They do NOT thunk!
In a way I wish they did! Then Ford wouldn't be giving us regular coupe owners the run around! It would have been fixed years ago I bet!

Why they left them out on our cars, especially since the friggin mounts exist on our frames too, is just beyond me! Yeah yeah I know, it's a money issue. Screw that! What does a cross member and 4 nuts and bolts cost Ford? Next to nothing compared to what they retail them for through the parts dept. $280 bucks plus $40 more for the nuts! FRIGGIN CROOKS!

God! I want to kick some Fordsuit ***!

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise