Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Drone Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:06 AM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Why Drone Sucks

I hear a lot of people on here talking about how they love the drone (and obviously plenty more who hate it). Comments ranging from: I bought my aftermarket exhaust so I can hear it, or if you don't like the drone you shouldn't have bought a pony car.

I recently threw on some Bassani axlebacks after having Borla and Mac on. Damn, these things drone a lot less and I can actually hear the engine and exhaust roar (despite the fact that they are quieter than Mac or Borla). I don't get the people that say they like the drone because they like to hear the exhaust. The thing is, you're listening to the cabin vibrate, you're not listening to the exhaust. Two completely different things.

I am not complelety thrilled with Bassanis either, but it definitely makes a case for the lesser droning exhausts. If the Corsa's didn't have the muffler hanging down so low that it looks like a fart can, I could almost be convinced to get them. Little deeper sound wouldn't hurt either, but it seems the deepness is what brings on the wretched drone. Maybe it doesn't look as bad as I think, anyone have some good Corsa pics from low to the ground and behind the car?

It is amazing how much beautiful V8 sound the drone covers up. I can honestly say the car is more fun to drive without the drone. Not because the coins in your cup holder aren't rattling or you're not getting a headache, but simply because you can really hear your engine roaring instead of your car vibrating.

If you say you really like the drone, you're either not getting real drone or you're crazy. Just my opinion.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:11 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why Drone Sucks

everyone is entitled to their opinion....and to each their own. No need, though, to insult everyone who's opinion may differ than yours.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:13 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I'm with you. I have the Ford Racing (Borla) axle backs. They drone at a certain rpm as well. As soon as I find an exhaust tip that looks as good as the Ford Racing 4 inch tips that are on the current exhaust, I'm switching back to the stock set up and the added tips.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:32 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

uh, i can hear my V8 just fine even with the drone
Old 12-16-2006, 03:05 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

everyone is entitled to their opinion....and to each their own. No need, though, to insult everyone who's opinion may differ than yours.
+1

I have the Ford Racing Borla GT's and I don't have the headache drone you're talking about (of course I could be crazy I guess and not realize it, as you put it)...or the coin rattle in the cup holder (I don't let crap build up in there either tho).

As it has been stated on here countless times, to each your own. If you like your exhaust, great, make that simple statement. Those that have a different opinion than you, are not crazy. Posts like this are useless, that's just my opinion.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

All I hear is sweet music from my Pypes Violators. Plus there polished stainless, and look like mirrors. They have beautiful 4 inch outlets its all one piece. No drone, deep sound.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/0D8D67CC736D4CB7B3FBABBD41A787B4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/450C44BD442A4A54AEAC50A218E67889.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I agree drone sucks! But when I drive with the windows down I have almost not none. So for the past 2 months as long as i'm under 70MPH both windows are down and I can hear that beautiful Borla sound!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:26 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Boy, we have some sensitive people in the group today! The "crazy" comment wasn't meant to be a serious comment on your mental health. I am hoping and guessing most people didn't take it as seriously as you folks and I am sorry if you took this as a direct insult.

Not saying you can't hear your V8 with the Stingers, you certainly can, I am just saying the drone hides a lot, and the Macs even more. I would go so far as to state this as fact. Whether you like drone or not, the drone hides a lot of sounds that you would otherwise be hearing. And a lot of those sounds can be good sounds.

Bassani is in every way a quieter exhaust than Borla or Mac, but since I put them on, I am hearing way more exhaust growl, because back then my cabin was too busy resonating and it obscured the rest of the sounds. Then again, I don't live in an area where I can easily rev it up to 5000 rpms every time I get on the gas, so maybe I am missing out in that respect.

But I do think you really notice the difference when you have a droning exhaust for awhile, and then go back to one that doesn't as much or at all, like I did. That was one reason for my post, to explain some of the benefits of the non-droning exhaust world for those who have never experienced it aside from stock, and haven't had the chance to personally compare two exhausts from within their own car. For you people that were stock and then went straight to Stingers, you've since gotten used to the drone, and no doubt love your exhaust, and maybe don't realize some of what you are missing if you could just stop that drone for a little while, not that you will or want to.

Another reason for my post was actually in response to the occasional snide (and possibly midly offensive to some) remarks you see from people in the "drone" threads towards the people that bitch and moan about their drone, things along the lines of, "you should have bought a Lexus if you want quiet". It's not about wanting quiet, its about wanting to hear our exhaust note, not our car vibrating. People often fail to make this distinction. They are two completely different things.

And I personally don't think posts like this are useless. Someone making an observation, stating an opinion, inviting others to share their thoughts. The point I made is a point I haven't really seen made, it could be valuable advice to someone on the fence about their exhaust choice, especially since exhaust and drone are one of the hottest topics on this forum. I can think of a lot of posts far more useless than this.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

I'm with you. I have the Ford Racing (Borla) axle backs. They drone at a certain rpm as well. As soon as I find an exhaust tip that looks as good as the Ford Racing 4 inch tips that are on the current exhaust, I'm switching back to the stock set up and the added tips.
I would check out the GTA (forgot the full name) exhaust before you go back to stock. I think they have a 4" tip and will be a little louder and deeper than stock (you obviously wanted louder and deeper since you gave the Stingers a try).
Old 12-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

Does drone also apply to other cars as well?

Quick Reply: Why Drone Sucks