Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro 5.0 shifter owners, come in please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

Default Pro 5.0 shifter owners, come in please!

quick question.. do you still miss 3rd gear?

i installed mine and 1st to 2nd is fine but when i try to slam 3rd, i miss it everytime anymore.. it feels like there is a wall in front of it and doesn't go it to gear unless i shift gentle..

do you guys have any idea why? maybe it is new thats why or installation error?

thanks.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pro 5.0 shifter owners, come in please!

As far as I know. The 2-3 shift problem has nothing to do with the shifter. It is the fact that the shifter is mounted to the body AND the trans and the engine movement binds things up.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

As far as I know. The 2-3 shift problem has nothing to do with the shifter. It is the fact that the shifter is mounted to the body AND the trans and the engine movement binds things up.

but they claimed you will never miss 3rd again.. actually i was doing pretty good 2nd to 3rd with stock shifter but with pro 5.0 looks like very hard.. i have yet to shift fast 2nd to 3rd. this shifter has very good feedback.. something has to be wrong.. people are very happy with this shifter.. i am wondering why i am not. (so far)
Old 01-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Yeah people post on here alot that an after market shifter cured thier shift problems and I see no way they are correct. No shifter will keep the motor\tranny from torqueing over. I think it is people lieing to themselves. I have felt the Pro 5.0 and I didnt like. It was way too notchy to shift fast with. Just like u said it was like hitting a wall. It was brand new though so maybe it does break in. I decided then there was no way I wanted one.

Also I dont think there is anyway I could shift any faster with an aftermarket shifter than my Saleen Adapter Steeda bushing and torque limiter stock shifter. It moves as fast as I can move my hand and the shifts are smooth as glass and I never miss them.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:47 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riven02

Yeah people post on here alot that an after market shifter cured thier shift problems and I see no way they are correct. No shifter will keep the motor\tranny from torqueing over. I think it is people lieing to themselves. I have felt the Pro 5.0 and I didnt like. It was way too notchy to shift fast with. Just like u said it was like hitting a wall. It was brand new though so maybe it does break in. I decided then there was no way I wanted one.

Also I dont think there is anyway I could shift any faster with an aftermarket shifter than my Saleen Adapter Steeda bushing and torque limiter stock shifter. It moves as fast as I can move my hand and the shifts are smooth as glass and I never miss them.
'
do you have any link of that shifter? i really do not care if it shorten the shifting.. i need to shift fast.. i think factory shifter was doing pretty good.. maybe i should get rid of my pro 5.0. put the stock one back on or get the one you are talking about. i really don't car about shorten the shifting.. i need smooth shifting. i got long enough arms!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Its not a new shifter it is mods for the stock shifter, and a K Member brace that has torque limiters to keep the engine and tranny put.

https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2571988
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

The only reason for an aftermarket shifter is for quality, although the stocker for the s197 is better than most others the quality of the aftermarket shifters is one of the many reasons to replce the oem......If it feels like there is a wall keeping you from "slamming" into 3rd you might have grinded one too many times
Old 01-21-2007, 03:15 PM
dly
1st Gear Member

Just a question but did you get the bushings in the right way. If the are correct it should be hard to shift into 5th or Reverse. My Pro 5.0 shifter works great...better than the stocker.... not by much but I like the beefier look of the main items.

dly GT/CS Black Midnight Ryder
Old 01-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

One more thing that came to mind. When installing the shifter u need to lube all the bushings good. did you do that?
When I first installed my adapter I didnt lube it good enough and I tightened the bolt too tight. It made it crazy notchy.

I used wheel bearing grease.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

dude, i just read your posts there and sounds damn good. i am at work and i really couldn't pay attention to all posts 100% so can i do this and still have pro 5.0 shifter and fix this problem or should get rid of the pro 5.0 and put the stock oen back on and do this? also that saleen adapter looked weird to me.. where does that go? i really wanna get rid of this shifting problem..

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 shifter owners, come in please!