Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
olds350

Originally Posted by mkaishar2
Well I just tried it today because I have the rattle and it is driving me nuts...I am looking at 7 years bad luck...ended up cracking the mirror and now I have to find a replacement one.

Forget replacement one...ordered Agent 47 mirrors...there must have been a reason for it, so I took the opportunity
Glad you got the agent 47 mirrors, but I did want to add a comment. I just did this fix myself today. As for removing the mirror, you don't pry against the mirror itself. If you move the mirror to make the widest gap you can at the bottom of the housing, you'll see the retaining ring for the mirror. Place the flat blade screw driver into the ring and with a little twist, it simply pops off. You may have to reposistion the motor to get the mirror completely off the support, but it does come right off.

I inspected the snaps after removing and was no damage. Once the screw was replaced w/ some lock-tite, the mirror popped right back into place. Many thanks for this post.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
mustang queen
1st Gear Member

Took the pictures of the fix to the dealer since the car still has warranty. They decided they could fix it from the info. Made a appointment , dropped the car off, got a call the car was done $58.00. They said since they were repairing it and not replacing the mirror I had to pay for it. After a heated discussion that we do everything ourselves if it's not warranty . They waived the payment. Just wondering if the dealer would get paid or if they were trying to get paid by me and Ford?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

My mirrors rattle when my shaker 500 plays deep bass (on max lol).. is this the culprit? If so, I'm fixing that right up..
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for digging this one up from the past. My mirror started rattling at the end of last year and it's been driving me nuts. I've taken it apart before but couldn't find it. Now I've got something to do
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 PM
KMustangGT2008

Default Drivers side mirror rattle

Thank you so much for posting this. I have had a rattle noise within my drivers side mirror area, which has now seemed to travel down to the top side of the door within the same area of mirror. It is ANNOYING! to say the least. It especially rattles when I have the radio on (shaker 500 system, lots of bass.) I have actually had to lower the bass on many occasions to rid of the noise. Unfortunately this doesn't help completely. It will even rattle when I drive over normal road bumps. I took it to the dealership where I purchased my Mustang, much to my surprise they couldn't hear anything. Of course not, their not the everyday driver. I wish to attempt this what seems to be an easy fix. I am so afraid of breaking something and then it's not warrantied. What would you suggest?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Did this fix this weekend... worked well to get rid of the primary rattles I had. Even delicately prying the mirror off the circular mount, one of the 6 or 8 tabs busted off on both the driver and passenger side, but the remaining tabs are still plenty to resecure the mirror back in place.

Here's my question... in a related rattle question... I notice that my window switch plate (front of arm rest) is actually rattling pretty bad now. Of course as soon as you fix the currently worst rattle, the next one... then becomes the worst one. Regardless, I tried popping off the windows switch plate though there didn't appear to be anything to be tightened. Also now the window switch plate will NOT going back on the way it did before... typical. Anyone run into this issue? Moreover... anyone want to do a nice little write up like this one to fix the window switch rattle?

Last edited by 6605stang; 01-29-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Gonna knock this out this week my mirror rattle badly :-(
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Errrr... My mirrors are fine guys.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6605stang
I notice that my window switch plate (front of arm rest) is actually rattling pretty bad now. Of course as soon as you fix the currently worst rattle, the next one... then becomes the worst one. Regardless, I tried popping off the windows switch plate though there didn't appear to be anything to be tightened.
It's the switch housing inside the plate. The little tabs that lock it in place. Seems to be a fairly common occurrence, the switch housing isn't a tight lock from the factory and just gets worse with time. Easy to fix with some 3m double-sided tape on the outside of the housing to make it lock in securely.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Quicker10u

Best How-To ever...So happy to be done with that..Just did it this morning!

Quick Reply: Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included