Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:45 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included

Ok guys, with the help of this forums I was able to remove the mirror without breaking anything... WHOO HOO!!!! Anyways, I figured I would return the favor and document the procedure for taking care of this problem.

Basically there is a screw that becomes slightly loose, and lets the whole mirror assembly move around in the mirror housing. I noted that several used 05+ stangs on my local dealers lot had the same problems so obviously this is fairly common, and I believe most of these cars will end up rattling in time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: (optional) Remove the interior trim piece to expose the 3 mirror mounting bolts. To remove, simply pull straight out. There are two clips and a couple plastic alignment pins holding it in place. Unplug the wires going into the mirror (brown plug)

Next, remove the three 11mm nuts to remove the mirror from the vehicle.

Step 2: Using a large flat head screwdriver or whatever prying device is handy, pry between the mirror and where the mirror mounts to the housing. This took some effort, but it will pop off. I caused no damage to the mounting tabs by removing it, and circled them to show how the mirror is held on.

Step 3: Remove the three torx screws holding the mirror actuator to the mirror housing so that you can access the screw behind it.

Step 4: Tighten the torx screw circled in the picture below, this is the cause of the rattle. As a precautionary measure, loc-tite or epoxy / JB Weld could be used to ensure your not performing this procedure again in 6 months.

To reassemble, simply repeat these steps in reverse and your done!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included

Because i have never done such a thing, am I understanding that the mirror itself doesn't have to be touched. My car rattles from high in the door and I'm thinking now this may be my culprit.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:59 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included

grab the black plastic housing and move it up and down, if you hear it popping/rattling then thats the culprit. i really hope this helps people, my dealer was too lazy and/or stupid to even look into the matter
Old 01-29-2007, 01:48 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the article, I have a nasty rattle coming from the drives side of the car...I can not pin point it and maybe this is it...if so I owe you a big thanks...if not I am sure I owe you a thanks b/c I am sure it will start rattling eventually.

Well done.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

You got the Lime color, cool. thats the rarest color combo.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

actually that was one pic that i didnt take LOL, i forgot to photo removing the inside trim piece lol. that pic was from directions on installing mirror glass with led turn signals in them, which i may get one day cause they look cool.

heres mine....

Old 10-18-2008, 05:18 PM
wvc90

This thread is worth its weight in gold! I was beside myself trying to find the culprit of the door rattle. I knew it was coming from the mirror but could not isolate it. I just spent 20 minutes using your directions and it is as good (and quiet) as new. Thanks!!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wvc90
This thread is worth its weight in gold! I was beside myself trying to find the culprit of the door rattle. I knew it was coming from the mirror but could not isolate it. I just spent 20 minutes using your directions and it is as good (and quiet) as new. Thanks!!
Thank you for bumping this. I just realized my side mirrors were rattling the other day. Its only when I'm playing music so I had never noticed it, but I had the music on while I was outside the car and that's when I heard it. Its horrible.
Glad to see there is an easy & free fix for it.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

thanks for doing this thread, i bet it'll help a lot of people out.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

no problem, nice to see it got found after all this time. maybe it can be added to the how-to threads or something?

Quick Reply: Door Mirror Rattle FIXED - Please put this in FAQ's or something - pics included