Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Default New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!

Suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Here is my story...

I took delivery of my 07 Stang GT little over a week ago, last weekend to be exact. Took it easy the first 500 miles per break-in. My car didn't have MyColor so I bought and had them installed three days later. After reaching 500 miles, I took it on the highway and eventualy around the 65-70mph mark. That's when trouble started. Noticed some harmonic vibration. Took it in one week after purchased and they test drove with me and said driveshaft. Left there and replaced driveshaft. Picked it up, test drove, a little better, but still noticable.

Next morning something popped under the car and it got worse again. Took it back in yesterday, tet drove with serv. manager and left it. They test drove another new Stang and it didn't have the vibration. They said they couldn't put their finger on it and were awaiting response from Ford with sugestions or a TSB. That's where I stand. Tonight I finally got a loaner from them and I spoke with the dealership manager and expressed my disgust in buying a new car, first Ford, and having such an issue within a week.

The car has spent more time in the shop than my driveway, and all within the first week. I can just see Ford coming back and saying I have to live with it. Would something like this qualify for lemon laws? I understand to give them time to make it right, but dang, to go through this already, it's not looking good. How should I proceed with protecting myself from getting screwed?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!

Sounds like universal joints.....I remember when mine were bad on my 87 stang.....Other than that I dont really see what else it could be....[:@]
Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Sir my 07 GT also had the same vibes at the same speed. I too had it back to the dealer in the first week of ownership. But it wasnt just for that, it was mainly because I didnt understand why the driveline clanked back and forth between shifts driving fairly slowly. Or just idling in first gear " 5 speed manual " and tap the gas, and you have big time slack it seems for a brand new car.

I did as you did and drove another 07 GT and it made the same sounds. They replaced my driveshaft too, saying there was a rash of un properly balanced drive shafts out there. The new shaft seemed to fix it for the most part. Is your problem so bad you cant enjoy the car? After adding a C&L CAI and brenspeed 93 octane tune, the car smoothed out a lot, makes no real sense. Either that or the huge power and responce change is so dramatic I just dont notice any vibes now.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

It's hard to describe what it feels like, but it reminds me of the vibration you get when a rear window is cracked, but it does it up or down. You don't really feel it in the wheel or pedals, just this "harmonic" vibration in the cabin. It is noticable enough that I am aware of it when cruising at that optimal speed on the interstate. Plus the fact that I know it ain't right and the other car they test drove didn't do it, they even aknowledged that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and want to keep it, just want it "right". I'm afraid that they are going to tell me they can't do anything. What did they finally tell you? What are the chances I got two bad driveshafts??? This is ecspecially disheartening being this is my first Ford and this is right off of the lot. If they can't fix it, can I demand a replacement car? I hope this doesn't turn into one of those take it in 10 times while they shoot in the dark or that it causes other issues.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The other one have a hood scoop?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

The other test drive car? That I do not know, they test drove it today while I was at work, but I don't recall them having any with the scoop cause that had to go out and find mone from another dealer. You think that could cause harmonic vibration all throughout the cabin? It only is noticable between 65-75mph.

ORIGINAL: howarmat

The other one have a hood scoop?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

I also forgot to add it seems to be more noticable when going uphill on the interstate, but that may be my imagination.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Not sure but you will hear some things a faster speeds, I will let someone else tackle if a hood scoop with add resonance or not.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chronism

Suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Here is my story...

I took delivery of my 07 Stang GT little over a week ago, last weekend to be exact. Took it easy the first 500 miles per break-in. My car didn't have MyColor so I bought and had them installed three days later. After reaching 500 miles, I took it on the highway and eventualy around the 65-70mph mark. That's when trouble started. Noticed some harmonic vibration. Took it in one week after purchased and they test drove with me and said driveshaft. Left there and replaced driveshaft. Picked it up, test drove, a little better, but still noticable.

Next morning something popped under the car and it got worse again. Took it back in yesterday, tet drove with serv. manager and left it. They test drove another new Stang and it didn't have the vibration. They said they couldn't put their finger on it and were awaiting response from Ford with sugestions or a TSB. That's where I stand. Tonight I finally got a loaner from them and I spoke with the dealership manager and expressed my disgust in buying a new car, first Ford, and having such an issue within a week.

The car has spent more time in the shop than my driveway, and all within the first week. I can just see Ford coming back and saying I have to live with it. Would something like this qualify for lemon laws? I understand to give them time to make it right, but dang, to go through this already, it's not looking good. How should I proceed with protecting myself from getting screwed?
I appreciate your frustration, though you may not appreciate my reply: You've correctly taken the first by returning the car for warranty service, elbeit unfortunately after only one week of having takenposession of it (A little QA goes a long way).

Though taking your frustration out on either them or on Ford, in general, wont help them realize what the problem is. It's fairly reasonable to assume that they'll do what they can to repair the problem. And when they call you to pick up your ride, take the mechanic who's name is on the service ticket for a test drive, if he/she's available. If not, offer the Service Manager a test drive. If it fails again politely ask how long you should have to put-up with the problem until a whole new car replacement is warranted; that is, if you truely still want to stick with the Mustang. Else, speak with your sales person to determine whether you can back-out of the purchase entirely.

It sucks that your car isn't top notch, especially being brand new and not even having been test driven (lot car drivenby prospective buyers or dealership employees).

Good luck and I hope everything turns-out for ya.

Take care.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

OK, you asked for opinions and that you will get. First, I would check the lemon laws that would applyto your state. Second, tell the dealer that you bought a new car to enjoy a new car, not be repaired and that you are not happy. After all, everytime you take your stang to the dealer is time consuming and time is money. Thirds, insist they fix whatever it is..the answer cannot be..live with it...a guy who buys a new BMW does not "live" with problems he thinks he's got with his car..demand the same from you dealer. Fourth, if dealer is no help...tell them you are going to take this issue to Ford. Lastly, when all things fail...and this would be my least prefer method...trade it back and let them deal with this baby on their time and money....obviously..a trade-in is not really a smart move because your car already lost its value. Fords would rather replace the whole thing before it buys it back. That's like their last resort. Some folks here on the forums are more knowledgeable that I am...so folks..please come on line and help our fellow stanger...

Quick Reply: New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!