Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:26 AM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

I took 40 quarts of used oil to wal-mart once because they told me over the phone they would take it. I get there and the guy is bitching at me because they're only supposed to take 1 or 2 gallons.. I talked to the guy at autozone, he said i could bring in whatever, as long as I dispose of the containers.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:50 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

Nice tourtorial. Thanks for such a great write up. I always take my car to the dealer because they check everything out, but this may be a good idea every other oil change.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone used a K&N oil filter and felt one way or the other about it [and i don't mean fondled for all you sickos out there ]??? I know it has a "nipple" on the end of it that you can use a ratchet to get it off of there more easily.

Taco Bill: thanks a million! I'll have to look back and see if you posted pics of your long-tube install. I'm assuming since you didn't mention it that you didn't "prep" the engine to start using the sythetic stuff?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

Has anyone used a K&N oil filter and felt one way or the other about it [and i don't mean fondled for all you sickos out there ]??? I know it has a "nipple" on the end of it that you can use a ratchet to get it off of there more easily.

Taco Bill: thanks a million! I'll have to look back and see if you posted pics of your long-tube install. I'm assuming since you didn't mention it that you didn't "prep" the engine to start using the sythetic stuff?
Hi Jon. I was debating between the K&N and the Mobil 1 oil filters, but Autozone was running a 'Buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and get a Mobil 1 oil filter free' kind of deal. I had the Ford Racing filter ready to go, but decided to use my free filter instead.

I'm not running long tubes, just the O/R-H and Stingers. Swapping out the L/T's every 2 years for smog just sounds like a PITA.

On switching to synthetic... boy, this is a heated debate.. I've read and researched all I could stand on the subject of when it's a good time to switch over to synthetic. All I can say is what I did, and that was change it over at 500 miles. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 PM
unreal41683

Good write up. Just one question. How do you document the oil changes so that you don't void your warrantee?

This could be nice for me to learn how to do since I have put 13,000 miles on my mustang since I bought it new in August.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: unreal41683

Good write up. Just one question. How do you document the oil changes so that you don't void your warrantee?
I'm certain store receipts will suffice. Writing down the mileage also wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

ORIGINAL: unreal41683

I'm certain store receipts will suffice. Writing down the mileage also wouldn't hurt.
Store receipts and mileage documentation is usually all that is required. I keep my receipts in the log book.
Ford has a place youcan document it and any other non-dealer work.
https://myford.fordvehicles.com/serv...age%2FHomePage

You will also find documentation off any dealer work done to your vehicle.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:45 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

Hey Taco, I'm impressed with your presentation and research! Keep 'em coming.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:55 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

One quick question. Do you think its safe to just leave the car on the ramps while you're working on it, or do you put jackstands underneath it also. I've worked on cars before but I'm always scared to have the car come crushing down on me.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Can anyone comment on gaskets or the oil plug needing to be replaced when a change is done?

Also, just to throw my opinion in on the switch to synthetic debate; I have never believed its bad to switch to synthetic at any point.. I switched an eclipse at 60,000 miles and it ran strong when I traded it in at 120,000, and I switched a Civic at 40,000 miles and my girlfriend is still driving it strong at 130,000 miles...

I got this 05 GT at 5000 miles. When i have time to do an oil change it will be at about 6000 miles, and I'll be switching.

Quick Reply: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...