Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
ryterngki
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whining Gears

What I bought were Motive Gear Performance gears. They are 3.73's.

I have a contact at a Ford dealer who is a service manager. He says if the gears were installed wrong (which he believes the case to be) even if it is corrected the whining noise will always remain. If this is true then I'm out the gears, too.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Would love to go 4.10's but I like my quiet 3.55's. If I could get a guarantee "no whine" I'd consider it. So many complaints on this I just can't go there.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Would love to go 4.10's but I like my quiet 3.55's. If I could get a guarantee "no whine" I'd consider it. So many complaints on this I just can't go there.
A BIG +1
Old 04-20-2007, 12:30 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Its not that motives can't be installed right they are just more involved than the FRPP gears. Dont give up yet!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

no helical cut gears will whine, period, end of statement no ifs ands or buts, if they do, take them back and get them redone, or ask for your money back and have another shop do it right

this is why you get referance from local stang clubs or reputable tranny shops to do this and not a joe shmoe place or a ford dealer for that matter
Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 AM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I have an 05 V6 and changed my gears to 3.73's along with an Auburn Pro LSD and had the same exact sound at the same exact speed. 40 mph and it does sound just like a bus. I then had the gears changed again and again and again. I tried three different installers at two different shops, the two best in the area, four separate sets of gears and to no avail. I tried 3.73's, 4.10's, 3.73's again and finally 3.27's. The 3.27's are in now and are not quite as loud but still much too noisy for my taste. It's obviously something to do with the carrier as the speed that the horrendously loud noise kicks in at was always the same, 40-50 mph, considering the carrier is always turning at the same speed regardless of gear ratio it makes since. From all my research I have come to the conclusion it's the carrier bearing pre-load is wrong. I even mentioned that to the shops and they swear it was set up right. Considering before the gear change it made no noise at all and then afterwards no matter what gears I used it made the same awful noise it has to be the carrier. Also after putting about four thousand miles on one of the gear sets when they were changed again the carrier bearings were scored lending more credence to my theory. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether any particular rear end is going to make noise after a gear change. I've read about numerous people with both 8.8 and 7.5 rears that had no problems after an install and yet others like me that could not get it right no matter what. I think it's something wrong with the housing itself that makes setting up the gears to not whine so difficult. So my solution is going to be either to get a factory fresh 8.8 with gears already installed or get a brand new Ford Racing rear end and install the best gears & differential available, cross my fingers and hope it doesn't make noise.

If anyone that has this problem can get an installer to try messing with the carrier bearing pre-load to see if that really is the issue it would be something good to know. None of the installers I tried was willing to take the time to mess with that.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 AM
ryterngki
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

no helical cut gears will whine, period, end of statement no ifs ands or buts, if they do, take them back and get them redone, or ask for your money back and have another shop do it right

this is why you get referance from local stang clubs or reputable tranny shops to do this and not a joe shmoe place or a ford dealer for that matter
I agree with you on that. It's why I went with the transaxle shop with the best reputation in southwest Missouri. It's just frustrating cause I went over and over with them about the install. They insist it's right. Sucks to be me now.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 AM
ryterngki
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vb101

I have an 05 V6 and changed my gears to 3.73's along with an Auburn Pro LSD and had the same exact sound at the same exact speed. 40 mph and it does sound just like a bus. I then had the gears changed again and again and again. I tried three different installers at two different shops, the two best in the area, four separate sets of gears and to no avail. I tried 3.73's, 4.10's, 3.73's again and finally 3.27's. The 3.27's are in now and are not quite as loud but still much too noisy for my taste. It's obviously something to do with the carrier as the speed that the horrendously loud noise kicks in at was always the same, 40-50 mph, considering the carrier is always turning at the same speed regardless of gear ratio it makes since. From all my research I have come to the conclusion it's the carrier bearing pre-load is wrong. I even mentioned that to the shops and they swear it was set up right. Considering before the gear change it made no noise at all and then afterwards no matter what gears I used it made the same awful noise it has to be the carrier. Also after putting about four thousand miles on one of the gear sets when they were changed again the carrier bearings were scored lending more credence to my theory. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether any particular rear end is going to make noise after a gear change. I've read about numerous people with both 8.8 and 7.5 rears that had no problems after an install and yet others like me that could not get it right no matter what. I think it's something wrong with the housing itself that makes setting up the gears to not whine so difficult. So my solution is going to be either to get a factory fresh 8.8 with gears already installed or get a brand new Ford Racing rear end and install the best gears & differential available, cross my fingers and hope it doesn't make noise.

If anyone that has this problem can get an installer to try messing with the carrier bearing pre-load to see if that really is the issue it would be something good to know. None of the installers I tried was willing to take the time to mess with that.

So does this mean if I decide to go back and install my original gears it still may whine?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlyShuffle

I have to agree with all the posters who say it is a bad install. I am not a mechanic myself, but I helped by buddy put in my FRPP 4.10 gears so I watched what went into the install. He is a certified mechanic andteaches auto repair for a living, so it was like I gota free lessonin addition to a really inexpensive gear install. Bonus!

This is what I observed, and again, I am not the expert, so take it with a grain of salt. What I saw, there is a lot to it to get the gears to line up correctly- shims to line the ring up left to right and set the correct pinion depth. He spent a lot of time applying this gear marking compound to the ring and turning the gears to see what kind of pattern or markthe pinion made in the compound where it made contact with the ring. Then he showedme what he teaches his students. He had a document that showedwhat themark would look like if it was lined upcorrectly, what it would look like if the pinion was too deep, too shallow, etc. When I mentioned to him all the postings about gear whine I have read in theseforums while I was learning aboutwhat gears toput in myself, he stated with outblinking "bad install, here is why. They didn't take the time to be diligent and lineup the gears correctly."Seemed pretty plausable to me afterwatching my own gear installation.
Same experience here. Got to watch the guys install my gears.............man it seemed like it took forever. Put them in............take a measurement..........pull them out............put in some shims..........put the gears back in..............on and on. Finally the paint on the gears for matching. Unbeleivable how long it takes to install gears.
Then the break in.................3 heat up sessions on the highway. Had FRPP 3.73's installed. No whine at all. I did use a speed shop that does this kind of work all the time. These guys are serious when it comes to drive trains.
I'm the same way when it comes time to give the car a wash and wax job though.

I agree with everyone else............bad install and possibly bad gears.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Just had a shop here that has installed many Motives on many Mustangs, and they could not make my set work without completely eliminating the whine. We gave up and went with FRPP's and I'm at 250 miles now and no whine. No burnouts yet, but have gone WOT from a roll.

Quick Reply: Whining Gears