Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the stock shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Replacing the stock shifter

I've read a lot of posts here about replacing the stock shifter and how great the replacements (Steeda, Hurst, etc.) perform. On a few previous cars I have owned (GM), I installed short shifters in place of the stock units but it was usually because the stock units were really sloppy and generally sucked. I have to say, though,that I don't personally find the shifter in my GT to be all that bad. The throw certainly could benefit from a little shortening, but in my case, the overall feeling of the stock shifter is fairly firm and precise. Is there anybody else out there that kind of likes the stock shifter or do mostthink it is crap and needs to be replaced? I'm not saying the replacement shifters don't represent an improvement of sorts, but based on my own experience, I'm not sure this is a top-of-the-list modfor me. Am I wrong or just stupid?

Old 05-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default RE: Replacing the stock shifter

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

I have to say, though,that I don't personally find the shifter in my GT to be all that bad. The throw certainly could benefit from a little shortening, but in my case, the overall feeling of the stock shifter is fairly firm and precise. Is there anybody else out there that kind of likes the stock shifter or do mostthink it is crap and needs to be replaced? I'm not saying the replacement shifters don't represent an improvement of sorts, but based on my own experience, I'm not sure this is a top-of-the-list modfor me. Am I wrong or just stupid?

+1
Old 05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Lee, I agree that the stock shifter isn't that bad, however, once you try the Hurst or some other shifter you'd be amazed at the improvement. You can go through all 5 gears without taking your elbow off the center glove box with just a flick of your wrist . BTW did you get those Stainless Steel Bezels???
Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Ya man, the stock shifter is pretty sweet. I liked the feel, and the smoothness plus it looked good. All that nice stuff said. I replaced mine with the Hurst, and could never go back to stock again. The difference in shifting is so great it takes a little bit to get used to it again. Once you do, and it breaks in a little, in my oppinion its right up with the best.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/128A30F7172740A8ABD1EC252BA906F9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 AM
1DARK DEMON

I liked the stock shifter.But when I replaced it with ahurst I'll never go back to stock ,because It feels sportier and I love the way it sounds when I shift!!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Sounds good to me, I'm in once I can afford it. YAH!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Go with Hurst and never look back.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

1 dark what do u mean the way it sounds when u shift? does the shifter make some noise?[&:]
Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

See all of these mods sound freaking cool. But I'm such a wimp when it comes to voiding my valuable warranty. Anyway you can get a dealer to install the shifter (even though I hear that it's really easy). Would this mean anything if there comes a time (knock on wood) to replace the transmission?

Mine only has 8xx miles on it, so I'm still kinda on the edge.

~Fletch~
Old 05-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Warlok

Ya man, the stock shifter is pretty sweet. I liked the feel, and the smoothness plus it looked good. All that nice stuff said. I replaced mine with the Hurst, and could never go back to stock again. The difference in shifting is so great it takes a little bit to get used to it again. Once you do, and it breaks in a little, in my oppinion its right up with the best.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/128A30F7172740A8ABD1EC252BA906F9.jpg[/IMG]
+1 But with my MGW.

Quick Reply: Replacing the stock shifter