Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Input Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Shifter Input Please!

Hurst for me too. I have heard that the MGW is pretty damn good but its probably opposite of what the hurst is like. The hurst is very notchy and more like an older style shifter for the mustangs. You cant miss a shift and the throws are short and precise. I like the looks of it alot too. The MGW is probably very smooth and more inline with the factory shifter but smoother, shorter and more precise. Someone will hopefully give you some more insight on the MGW than just saying get it
Old 05-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

FRPP Hurst Short-Throw here!!! From what Ive read, you either like it or you dont, there is no gray on that one!! lol Bought mine at the Ford parts department. Got employee discount so paid just a little over $200.

I totally love everything about my Hurst ST but there are many out there.
I had the dealer install my Hurst Short Throw Shifter for $60.00 labor. This made sure they couldnt worm out and say I messed up the install if I had a problem. But they had the same exact shifter on the wall in the accesories dept and tried to say it was a Ford Racing one. I asked how much for it andthey had the ***** to tell me $345.00 PLUS installation [:'(]

Brenspeed sold me mine for $175.00. Quite a difference to me. After showing them the recipt from Brenspeed, they didnt have much to say.Took it out of the box right in front of them and compared it to the one on the wall. THEN he told methey come to him in a Ford Racing box, and inside it, is another original Hurst Box like mine , pretty weird. [>:]

And he told me he had to pay like $285.00! So ya man I guessyou did get a employee discount.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/BF73CC6B6C3441B2851C7420CAB49E01.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I paid $179. with free shipping when I bought my Hurst shifter, loved it from the minute it was in, from the classic look of the chrome stick and white ball, to the incredible performance. There are many out there, and I'm sure they're all good, but for the price I'm satisfied with mine.....................for now
Old 05-12-2007, 05:03 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Pro 5.0

It is solid. As stated, it is initially a bit stiff, but constant use smoothes it out.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

4+ on MGW than hurst and steeda tri-ax. I am switching out mine for the MGW!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

The hurst may be the prettiest one out there right now, but the MGW is the best by far!!! Go with the MGW, you won't regret it.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:25 AM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

I give the Steeda Tri-ax props hands down! Sorry guys I had the MGW shifter in my car for two weeks and got rid of it, The Isolater that is on the main shift rod that aligns the shifter split in half and the two mountingbolts kept loosing and I even used red loctite[:@]It would alsonudge when I put it in first gear, re-installed my Tri-ax and problem went way. I actually could feel the MGW shifter flex as well when I powershifted at high rpms and I knew it wasn't going to perform to the high exspectations everyone was hyping about. I just couldn't slam the MGW like my Steeda. The Steedashifter produces more noise but after I installed the dynamat, it magically was just as quite as the MGW. Plus the MGW shifter never felt like it centered with my tranny like the Steeda. The best thing about the MGW was I got my money back for itSorry my two cents...I know the MGW guys will be in a hissy fit but I actually likedmy Hurst shifterbetter than it. The MGW handle also has two moved crooked to the center of the car or the big black block that secures the handle will rub on the shifter boot making that adjustable option worthless[:@]
Old 05-13-2007, 01:56 AM
wahoos22719

Is it possible to use the Hurst shift stick and **** with the MGW?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:38 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wahoos22719

Is it possible to use the Hurst shift stick and **** with the MGW?
No it's not possible. MGW does make an optional stick with the 3/8-16 thread that you can use a Hurst ball on. MGW will release it's own white shift **** with the MGW logo on it soon. Here is a pic of the optional shift hanble with the MGW gripper ****.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:24 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangPilot

I have a Pro 5.0 and like it a lot.
Little stiff at first, but have had it installed for about a month now and it is starting to loosen up a little. Feel is VERY notchy, you will feel it grab the gear. Price was $250 from Pro 5.0's website. I havea Fat ***** shift **** on the top and the feel is wonderful.
+1

Quick Reply: Shifter Input Please!