Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst shifter Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Sinister1

Default Hurst shifter Installed

I putthe Hurst competition plus short throw shifterin my 07 today and what a difference. I also opted for the switchedT-handleforline locks That I'm going to install later. The install was easy just have a friend there to help guide the stock shifter through from the top and guide the new one back down. That way you don't have the drop the drive shaft.

Tools needed:
Floor jack
Jack stands
10mm deep well
13mm socket
10mm wrench
12" Longextension
7/32 Allen wrench

[IMG]local://upfiles/64424/6C7AADF7005043FABDD6F10D8931A71F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM
justagt06

Default RE: Hurst shifter Installed

i just got done installing mine today also, i got lucky i did it by my self,
i sure love how it feels, i plan on getting the line lock later
Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I was initially irritated by the clonk-clonk sound you geton shift after the Hurst install, due mostly to the nylon bushings used in place of the soft rubber I guess. After a few miles I adjusted my style to avoid it by essentially tensing my forearm and feeling the gear change instead of blindly clonking it in...if you know what I mean

Another upside to the Hurst, in my case at least, is that the wife won't go near the car anymore. I let her try the car after the Hurst went on and she just can't use it, the throw is too short and requires a little too much force for her spindly little arms LOL
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

lol i installed mine bymyself today...and i love it...just makes some noise changing to third..
Old 06-03-2007, 04:15 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Must be "Hurst Install Day" today. Just put mine in too. Gotta say, it's 100 times better than I expected. Very positive gear engagement, super short throws (no longer feel like rowing a boat) and alot nicer looking than stock. It is a bit notchy, but I tihnk that'll wear in a bit as time goes on. Have had Hursts before and they usually smooth out after 2 or 3K miles.

Install went nice and easy, maybe an hour or so, and half of that was looking for my ramps and finding boards so my front end was high enough to get up on the ramps. No need to drop the driveshaft like some have said, and I did not even need to remove the console like others have. A second person helping could have shaved maybe 5 minutes off the install, but even alone it was very easy. The tools list above is spot on also. The only thing I would add, is that unlike what the instructions tell yo to do, the bracket that mounts the rear of the shifter to the body of the car, don't put that on until you have the shifter in place and are ready to bolt that back up. Makes it ALOT easier to get the shifter in through the hole.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

The reason I didn't order one is because I noticed the gears were really crunchy and hard to shift. (tried my friends)

do you guys notice this? Because I hate the long through of the stock shifter, but I love how smooth it is.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Compared to the stock shifter its a huge difference. After I got a few thousand miles on mine in my 07 GT it smoothed out a great deal. It is just like cocking the hammer on my Ruger Super Red Hawk 44 mag num. You have no dought your in gear no matter how hard you slam it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47655/1FA5F83B7FD94E6992602676A5013B91.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hijack the post but do you have to have the handle exposed with the husrt?

Or can you remain the stock look, with it inside the boot?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

its alwasys like that.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: svt93style

Sorry to hijack the post but do you have to have the handle exposed with the husrt?

Or can you remain the stock look, with it inside the boot?
There's a FRPP version which keeps the stock look and ****.

I love the look of the chrome stick and white ball better than stock, but it's personal preference.

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter Installed