Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)

Can anyone point me to a good photo editor so I can crop some photos. I took some pictures of my setup last night in normal mode and the pics are still 650x650....I seem to be having difficulty loading any pics on this site.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ok I think I figured this out, it sucks when technology passes you buy, where a 13 year old when you need one to help with the computers...LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stormbringer

I can see where youre coming from on the scotch locks... I dont think it will be a problem on the inside of the car... Ive used them before without any issues. Its when people use them to do things like wiring trailers that they almost always end in a catestrophic failure. Soldering is best, but a good crimped on butt spice usually works pretty well too.
OK, I will give you guys the use of scotch locks as not the best but it's not like I'm going for audiophile here. I don't see a big problem with using them just to grab off the rear speakers for low bass inputs or to grab off a 12v to use as a turn on lead. I've done my fair share of sound systems and normally I do use heatshrink and a butane soldering iron. If it was for speaker wires (not for a sub), I agree 100% not to use the scotch locks.

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

Can anyone point me to a good photo editor so I can crop some photos. I took some pictures of my setup last night in normal mode and the pics are still 650x650....I seem to be having difficulty loading any pics on this site.
https://mustangforums.com/m_3335125/tm.htm I use paint.net for my basic stuff and it works well enough. You can also try and save things as a .gif and instead of a jpg and that will free up some space too.

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

Excellent write-up my young Apprentice!

It wasvery well written and all the stepsin logical order. What I try to accomplish in my write-ups is for anyone to view the steps and perform the mod or install. No matter how simple or obvious a step is, I still spell it out, just like what you did on disconnecting the battery.

Again, good job!
Thanks, that means a lot! There were a couple of times I was writing and had a picture (like the disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery) that I wasn't going to use because it was "too obvious" but at the last minute threw in. It may be "too obvious" if you've done it before, but why not remind people?

I just used your installing the FRPP Stingers How To a couple of weekends ago to install my Corsa's. While the corsa directions were very good (I've heard some that aren't), yours still had good info that I was glad I read.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

ok I think I figured this out, it sucks when technology passes you buy, where a 13 year old when you need one to help with the computers...LOL

LOL, agreed! Nice setup btw!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

"The easiest way beside a multimeter to tell if you have a bad ground is to start the car and drive it around with the speaker volume set to minimum 2-3 on the volume. If you here alternator whine and or your amp constantly cuts out or shuts off, then you have a bad ground. No alternator whine, or cutting outmeans you "most likely" don't have a ground loop failure. "

Thats also a easy and quick way to draw way too much current from down the
low level inputs and toast the amp - driving around with a bad ground wire on
the amp, that is. The only place for the amp to get its ground without the ground
hooked up is down the RCA low level connections. It can also kill the output
of the head unit. But to each his own. Keep on giving the good advice there
07SCGT. I guess you have a few hundred installs under your belt?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

"OK, I will give you guys the use of scotch locks as not the best but it's not like I'm going for audiophile here. I don't see a big problem with using them just to grab off the rear speakers for low bass inputs or to grab off a 12v to use as a turn on lead. I've done my fair share of sound systems and normally I do use heatshrink and a butane soldering iron. If it was for speaker wires (not for a sub), I agree 100% not to use the scotch locks. "

Scotchlocks are insulation displacement connectors. They suck on stranded wire
as the round wire is forced into a narrow slot and deformed. Give it time and
vibration and the wire you tapped into will eventually break.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

"The easiest way beside a multimeter to tell if you have a bad ground is to start the car and drive it around with the speaker volume set to minimum 2-3 on the volume. If you here alternator whine and or your amp constantly cuts out or shuts off, then you have a bad ground. No alternator whine, or cutting outmeans you "most likely" don't have a ground loop failure. "

Thats also a easy and quick way to draw way too much current from down the
low level inputs and toast the amp - driving around with a bad ground wire on
the amp, that is. The only place for the amp to get its ground without the ground
hooked up is down the RCA low level connections. It can also kill the output
of the head unit. But to each his own. Keep on giving the good advice there
07SCGT. I guess you have a few hundred installs under your belt?
In all the years I have been into car audio I have always been able to tell right away when I have a faulty ground by hearing alternator whine, pops, clips amp cutting out etc. I don't know about your setup, I know that my inputs are all 4 guage going to each amps power, and 4 guage for each ground. My amps won't even turn on if my ground connection is lose in the slightest,(which I always mount directly to the trunk floor after taking a wire brush and removing the paint). Maybe some of the cheaper amps will allow a ground connection through RCA's, mine however do not, nor have I heard of this happening.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If your amps wont allow a ground thru the RCAs, whats all this about listening for
a whine? The whine is a ground path thru the RCAs. Duh. CET are we?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I run fully balanced inputs on all my amps and there is zero external noise
so your method of checking for a bad ground would not work for me.
I really like the voltage drop method. No driving around listening for
noises and such. Its right there in your face, the voltage drop on the
meter. Mine has min/max/avg storage readings for getting those really
fast readings that cant be seen by a LCD multimeter.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db
Duh. CET are we?
I wouldn't want the pay cut.
I like affording all my toys, and not having any car, truck (an 05 Avalanche), 07atv Polaris, 06 Victory Hammermotorcycle andtoy hauler payments.

Quick Reply: How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)