Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)

And just how did you use that multimeter to check the ground connection?
With the Ohms setting? Or did you do a voltage drop test from the amp
ground input to the negative post on the battery? I need more info on this
correct way you did things.

How about an answer Aziraphale?
Call me a basher and wont even answer questions?
Where of where did you go??
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Just an shadetree CET on the side?
What type of devices do the amps you run use for the input buffering
you mention?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Oh yea, you can leave the one with the most toys wins attitude at the door.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

R U BMOC in your parts?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

R U BMOC in your parts?
what's BMOC, sorry I'm not hip on the lingo so I can't answer you.

As far as input buffering, not sure what your talking about (power conditioning or signal)
Power conditioning I have Yellowtop Optima rated 850 CC amps, 00 gauge wiring, going into 4 1farad caps.
Signal buffering My source is a kenwood excelon with 5 volt output going into a 13 band Alpine EQ. Italso keeps thevoltage to 5volts on the RCA's. Which is perfect for my PPI's which can only handle 5volts on the input.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The actual semiconductor devices for the audio inputs.
What chip does your PPIs use to buffer the audio inputs.
You stated that your amps dont allow ground thru
the audio inputs. How do your amps go about
doing this.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

OK guys, relax, there is no need to have an argument here. We get it, 157db, you like your car audio and obviously at least know something about it. I do believe I stated this wasn't supposed to be an advanced install. This was mainly to show routing of wires and how I did mine. If you guys want to argue about little nit pick things, take it to a new thread. There is no reason to junk up this one. I was just trying to help out some poeple and give ideas.

As for answering your question, after I ran the power wire, I connected it and the ground tab to the multimeter. It pulled 12v through so I just let it be. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some stupid tab that wasn't actually grounded. It was grounded, so I moved on with life. I dont' hear any whine or anything so I'm ok with it.

For the record, I called you a basher because that's exactly what you did. You bashed the setup without following it up with info on why. I have no need for that, it's useless to everyone. Follow it up with good info and I have no problem eating my own words. No need for an e-**** swinging contest here.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree with both of you and it is a very viable option and a rather easy one and the wire will be protected very well. Thanks for the write up it is great and 07SCGT I love the last part of the sig ...and a maxed out VISA! Same here and working 60+ hours a week to beat the Joneses and my own time line for everything on this beast! JMO j
ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

ORIGINAL: lundis

im going to disagree with your methods, but i may be talking out of my *** since i do not yet owna mustang (waiting for 08)

i NEVER install power wires through the wheel well. ive seen too many wires corrode and cause shorts (and therefore, fires) from that. i always run it through the firewall, through the main grommet. if there is no grommet (im not sure on a mustang...but most newer cars have one) then i drill one. this is a difficult method, and best left to pros, but the RIGHT way to do it.
I had my stereo professionally done and they used 00 guage which is the size of your thumb. They too did exactly what this tutorial said (which is go through the whell well behind the cover and punch through the main gromet. Yes they too used a wire loom to house the power cable.

Nice write up BTW. If I had more time and energy after working the 60Hours + a week I would have done it myself, I used to love doing this as a kid. Thank god for sabbaticals, mine coming up this year.....
Old 08-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Awesome write up. Luckily my amp has built in speaker line inputs so I didn't have to use the RCA adapter. I'm still trying to figure out how my mount my sub box.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:17 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

157, you obviously know a bit about car electronics and stereo but you need to lighten up a bit. In almost all your posts you come at people with some sort of rage. Whats with you man? If you got something to share, as you obviously have some good and valid points, try and word it in a way that people who spent time writing up a valuable post wont feel unappreciated and attacked. Like I said earlier, you had some valid points, but after a few disrespectful posts, I just skipped over the rest of your posts and started to lose interest in an otherwise intersting thread, especially now that I myself am getting interested in adding something (audio) to my car.

Quick Reply: How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)