Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting the front spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Default Painting the front spoiler

OK. I'm considering a CDC Aggressive front spoiler. I can get it painted or not. My plan was to go flat black. With that in mind, does it make any sense to pay the extra money to have it painted first, or can I just do the ole' spray can thing and put on 3 or 4 coats? I can see if I wanted to match a body color, but flat balc is flat black isn't it? Anyone do this?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting the front spoiler

The flat black isnt a paint anymore.....cdc now makes the entire chin in a black plastic...like the mirrors.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Agustin7

The agreesive chin spoiler is black plastic, as Nonstopred pointed out, so it will come flat black. As far as the painting option is concerned, I'm not sure if you can specify a color or if that means the spoiler will come painted black. If the bumper comes painted black you will have a shine to the finish, but it's still going to be black. Nothing a little Armor All can't take care of. [align=left] [/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I guess my confusiton comes from this listing then. maybe this is an older version? (Comes in tan)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW

ITEM DESCRIPTION: BRAND NEW CDC Aggressive Front Chin Spoiler for 2005 2006 2007 Mustang GT! Classic Design Concepts created this aggresive looking front spoiler that retains the styling integrity of the car. Made of durable high-density urethane, so it won't explode on the local speed bumps. As with all body parts, preparation is needed to get the proper fit and finish. Please TEST FIT before any preparation or painting! The chin spoiler comes in a unfinishedtan color and needs to be painted to match your mustang. This front chin spoiler mounts under your front bumper cover. You will have to screw the spoiler to your lower front facia. It Includes easy instructions to assist you in the installation process. It is easy to mount by drilling and using push pins provided in the installation kit. There is no cutting required. Intallation is easy and the spoiler comes with all hardware and instruction. This item will come with the complete HARDWARE KIT. NO RESERVE!!! (DA75)
Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

My daughter painted her rear spoiler flat black more than a year ago and still looks good. Wal-mart, primer, sand paper, paint, $4.00
The worst thing that could happen, You paint it over again. SO.

[IMG]local://upfiles/58274/AD53CF9B1CDB4232B2AC263C4215AA75.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Agustin7

I see your dilemma here. The spoiler he has must be the "raw" version sold by CDC. This probably comes primed only and is ready for paint. I'll bet it's primed. Either way, you can paint it yourself, as ZZmustang advised. Flat black from a body shop and flat black done by yourself will probably produce the same result. It's all in the prep work.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

I was thinking....Do you think its possible to remove and paint the lower lip on the gt bumper matte black? That seems like a cool thing to do. I may want to do that.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

here is how they come also. you can buy them raw so you can paint or buy them black textured and ready to bolt on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Agustin7

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

I was thinking....Do you think its possible to remove and paint the lower lip on the gt bumper matte black? That seems like a cool thing to do. I may want to do that.
You could certainly do that, but it's not going to have the same appearance as a chin spoiler will. The issue here is the amount of labor involved to do this properly. In order to paint this properly you need to removed the bumper cover, tape off the area you want painted, paint the cover, and clear the entire cover when you're done. If you just paint the lower portion and do not put clear coat over the entire area, you'll leave an edge. That edge will eventually get picked apart by the wind and start peeling on you.

The reason an entire panel receives clear coat is to avoid leaving that edge. By the time everything is all said and done, you could easily spend $4-500 at your local shop. Unless your inclined to paint it yourself. I would highly recommend you go with the chin spoiler and have it painted professionally. Your idea sounds good, but probably won't produce the results you're looking for. My two cents.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

To me the fit of the Agressive CS, particularly on the upper opening is ok at best. I don't see how flat black wouldlook good there. With the agressive I would only do it with a "seamless install" which CDC does not talk about. I have done it and the lower section needs a styrofoam plug support or warping is almost sure to occur (have seen several; incl mine before remedied) I have posted info and pics on proper Agressive CDC install. (You do cut away a section of the bumper cover).

Unless you are into fabrication and the like I highly recommend the Classic. get it in flat black if you want.

As your eye dr. says: "better 1 ....better 2?"

seamless install:
[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/5A18470026454A739B699FBF34BCC94A.jpg[/IMG]

CDC instructions install:
[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/2A20648842724FD5B3C4ADACE0352EBB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Painting the front spoiler