Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Work - Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Marshall_B

Default Body Work - Insurance

Hello, I had a fender bender a couple weeks ago and just finished with the damage adjuster today. He tried to get me to use the shop that works for Geico (I politely declined). At the time of the accident I only had 950 miles on my car, so all the work is for new oem parts. Hood, driver's side fender, bumper cover, headlight assy, and left blinker. For the price they are charging I could easily get upgraded parts and save money. My problem is they said that I have to pick a bodyshop before they can issue a check since I still have a lien on the car. Is this right? If so, is there a way around it so I can use the money to get the parts myself and just have the bodyshop do the labor? More importantly, if I can't get the check made out to me, then what should I look for to find an excellent body shop that will paint and install the parts to perfection? I know this isn't a legal department, but if you've been in a similar situation I could use some input. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 AM
NewRoushPonyOwner
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Body Work - Insurance

Well I can give you one bit of advice, don't always trust the dealer to do it correctly. I was in a very similar situation and decided to just go with my dealer since it would be easy and they still haven't satisfied me with the quality of their work after I've had it back twice! I would say ask around to people you trust, not just people looking to make a buck, and see what shop in your area has a very good reputation, then go there. I have Geico also and they paid the dealer directly so I can't help you on the check issue, but I can say they were very pleasant to work with, but my rate did go up, *grumble, grumble* but what else would I expect? Best of luck to you with your repairs.
peace,
Fatimah
Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

There wasn't a lein on my last car when it was wrecked and they still wouldn't write me a check. I think many insurance companies do this now to prevent you from pocketing the money and not fixing the car. I'm sure they'd write you a check if you said you wanted to do it yourself, but would significantly reduce the amount. I do know this for a fact: the insurance company can NOT force you to go to one of their direct repair facilities. You have the right to go wherever you want. I know Progressive likes to tell people they have to go to a direct repair facility, but Gieco seems to be a little better. Just feel lucky they are using OEM parts. I had to really fight to get my car fixed with OEM parts, they told me they preferred to use "quality remanufactured" parts which means junkyard. Luckily, my body guy was on my side and told them he'd need more money for refinish time on those parts and flat out refused to put an aftermarket bumper on the car since it didn't have the indentions for the front emblems like the factory one, therefore I could argue that it wasn't "of same likeness" They like to fight you, but in the end, you have the right to have the car fixed right. My advice would be to find a shop that does good work and will work with you to get it done right.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

+1,000,000
Do NOT go to their shop!
I have Mercury Insurance and thought I was doing the right thing by using their preferred shop. They screwed up everything! Overspray being the main thing!
It's like they never worked on an automobile before!
Ask your Ford dealer or a local Mustang club to recommend a shop that has done lots of body work on new Mustangs. Make sure they know their *** from a hole in the ground! Take another Mustang expert along with you when they say your car is ready. Compare the repaired side to the stock side, get a ruler and measure the gap between the hood and fender, door and fender, etc. If everything isn't like new, refuse to accept it, call the adjuster and keep your rental car. Which is why you NEVER return the rental until you know it's ok to pick up your car!
Remember, they don't care about your Mustang! You do!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Marshall_B

Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling that taking it to a preferred Geico shop was a bad idea, now I'm reassured on my decision not to. I was originally in a rush to get this done, now I'm gonna slow down and get it done right.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

I do know that if there is a lien on the car and you just want the check, the ins company will make the check out to you, the insured and the bank (lien holder). Had this done once before, Pain in the a$$ to get the check cashed. Finally used it the make the car payments.

As for the body shop, you can pick anyone you want. The insure company does not have to pay the full price though. They can argue that it can be done cheaper at their shop. And they will most likely win any court battle.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I'm not saying that taking it to a Gieco shop was a bad idea, just know who you are working with. I know of quite a few awesome body shops that are direct repair facilities for various insurance companies. It all depends on who does the contracts where you are. Sometimes the company guy has a buddy with a shop and they award it to them. Some companies have strict guidelines a shop has to meet to be on their network. Apparently, to be certified as a NAPA authorized repair facility they have to be pretty good with a 95% or better satisfaction rating or something like that.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

I would find a reputable body shop, and talk to them about ordering the parts. You may have to get them to order the aftermarket parts, and it may even cost you a little bit, but think of it this way, you're almost getting free upgrades. If its a smaller body shop that does high quality work, they should be willing to work with you on this. Always go by word of mouth, not what the insurance adjuster says, when choosing a body shop.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with the name Geico on anything. Just the labor in the shops. I know Ford shops that I wouldn't let them work on my go cart. If it is Geico shop, or any other name, get some references and ask to see their work.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

GO TO A BODY SHOP THAT HAS BEEN CONTRACTED BY A DEALER WHO DOES NOT HAVE THEIR OWN BODY SHOP. THEY USUALLY DO BETTER WORK BECAUSE OF SEVERAL REASONS:
- THEY GET ALOT OF BUSINESS THROWN THEIR WAY FROM THE DEALER AND IF THEY WANT TO KEEP IT THEY NEED TO KEEP THE CUTOMERS HAPPY
- BODYWORK IS ALL THEY DO
- USUALLY IT IS A MULTI GENERATION BUSINESS AND THEY HAVE KEPT THE DEALER HAPPY FOR A LONG TIME
- AND IF THEY ARE REALLY GOOD THEY PROBABLY DO WORK FOR A FEW REPUTABLE DEALERS.

I KNOW THIS BECAUSE WHEN I DID MY CONVERSION I LOOKED AROUND REALLY HARD AND ASKED MANY PEOPLE BECAUSE MATCHING THE YELLOW WAS REALLY HARD BUT THEY DID A GREAT JOB. AND THEIR PRICES SHOULD AND COULD BE REASONABLE AS WELL. I STILL HAVE SOME PARTS FROM MY CAR (HEADLIGHTS, FOGS, GRILL, ETC) JUST IN CASE YOU WANT TO HELP BRING DOWN YOUR DEDUCTIBLE.