Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe driving a Ford Mustang in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
odo13780

Default RE: Is it safe driving a Ford Mustang in winter?

[:@]Get a winter rat to drive and put the Mustang up for the winter.
We live in upstate New York and to save our cars from the salt and to get around in the snow both me and the wife have 4-W-D.

[IMG]local://upfiles/67757/B395D6A4533247F98FDBCBF9C627F323.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67757/3B01E4CC53A4499E9A329F3F6D5228A7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jito007

Superior where in VA? I am from Northern Virginia, Fairfax to be exact
I am moving to around the Richmond area. (Not sure preciously where yet, most likely in the southern section.) How much snow do you guys normally get in VA? I heard from someone it's a good idea to coat the underside of a car from the salt they lay on the roads. Is there any truth to this?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
06GTGIRL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speeddemon3000

I keep hearing stories that since the Ford Mustang is a rear-wheel drive vehicle, it is not safe to drive if you are living in an area that snows a lot.

Any input?
OKAY, I live in the great state of South Dakota and we get SNOW SNOW SNOW!!! I drove my mustang all winter, except when I couldn't get it out of my driveway, see attached picture. I drove slowly in the snow and got stuck in the sticky snow more often. I was more worried about the other guy, would didn't care if my car got smashed or not. I lowered it this summer and won't be driving much in the snow this year, it will be parked most of the time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53435/B6FA48FB6C504558BEC852D5559973F3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53435/5B8AD4EE6BBB4460A31D66118EFA6674.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53435/5CBB7643FE864AA2B28FAA15AAFF4BDE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 01:47 PM
daliab

I live in Nebraska... it doesn't snow much. It snows in S. Dakota and blows through Nebraska and ends up in Kansas.
Last year I got a Rubbermaid container and put sand in it and put it in the trunk of the car. It added weight in the back end which it needed but I also had the added benefit of being able to put some sand under the rear wheels if I got stuck. During the summertime I pull the container out. This year I'm thinking of getting some snow tires though. I'm running 18" fan blades and don't know how readily available snow tires for 18" rims. Does anyone have a recommendation for snow tires.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

For what you're going to be putting into rims and tires you can probably buy a beater car and who cares if it ends up in a ditch.I paid $650 for a Lumina last november and I'm still driving it as my DD. It may be ugly but it works!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
daliab

06VistaBlueGT
Your correct. Just called the local tire store. 2 ea Toyo Proxes 4 are $484.67 out the mounting and balancing. Might have to look for a winter car.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

For what you're going to be putting into rims and tires you can probably buy a beater car and who cares if it ends up in a ditch.I paid $650 for a Lumina last november and I'm still driving it as my DD. It may be ugly but it works!
I don't have a problem with this logic, but I didn't buy my Mustang to keep it in the garage. If the weather's so bad that I can't make it to work in the Mustang, then I get a day off.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: daliab

06VistaBlueGT
Your correct. Just called the local tire store. 2 ea Toyo Proxes 4 are $484.67 out the mounting and balancing. Might have to look for a winter car.
Thanks
On my 94 GT, I used Cooper M&S tires at $80 each. They'd last 3 winters easy, maybe 4. I bought a second set of wheels from a Mustang junk yard down south. In a way, that SAVED me money, because if I wasusing the cheap Cooper tires, then I wasn't wearing out the expensive Eagle ZR's.

Keep in mind, those were dedicated mud and snow tires - not something you'd enjoy driving on for an entire year.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superiormirage

Allright, I figure I will ask this here instead of opening up a new thread.

I am about to move to Virginia from Florida, where I have lived my entire life. While I know what snow LOOKS like, I have never driven in it.

Would the snowbound folks here in the MF advise me to get a set of good snow tires when I get up there? (I only ask because I truly have NO IDEA how much snow Virginia gets, and if investing in snow tires would be worth it.) What about chains as an alternative?

Also, I know they salt the roads in VA, so is there anything I need to do to protect underneath the car?

Thank you guys in advance!

-Shaun
You'll find that many people in Virigina driver their Mustangs year round.

I've lived in VA my entire life and I've never met anyone that bothers with snow tires. You don't need them. In fact, I've never even owned a 4X4. You won't need one unless you live in a very, very rural area or in the far western part of the state. People will buy them for the "snow" and only use it once or twice a season.

My Mercury Tracer and Ford Focus were both enough for the winters here. In fact, my two vehicles now are a Pontiac Solstice and a Ford Mustang and honestly, I'm not concerned at all about the winter. People around here act like we live in North Dakota, but honestly, winter is very mild here.

Here are the average temperature in the state for each month:
http://www.virginia.org/site/features.asp?FeatureID=102

When it does snow, it usually warms up within a day or two and everything melts. You just go out and immediatly wash the car. The salt isn't on your vehicle long enough to do much damage and it rains frequently enough to rinse off the roads. I like to get a good coat of wax on the car in October or so, just in case.

Drive slowly (less than the posted speed limit, if need be) and carefully and you should be OK. Periodically, we'll get a huge snow or ice storm, but don't worry about it, everything is going to be closed if that happens.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

P51mstg, I'm with you about driving the Mustang in all weather. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Sleeper2

Quick Reply: Is it safe driving a Ford Mustang in winter?