Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching Caliper Paint - Updated with pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Jason0279
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Matching Caliper Paint

I didn't get the paint until Monday so I was just able to paint the calipers today.

The paint is a good match. Since it's a metallic, I used the Preval sprayer that the G2 people used to paint the Redfire and Legend Lime examples on their site. I figured that trying to brush on the metallic would look like crap. It took a little extra prep time but I think it was well worth it. The sprayer works pretty well and I got it from Blick Art:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz250/03/

I put on three coats with paint to spare but did go through one sprayer/aerosol can. Good thing I bought a couple extra.

I should be able to post pictures before the weekend is done.

- Jason
Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
drtuba
2nd Gear Member

did you leave the calipers on when you sprayed? Did you take pictures of the prepped calipers 'pre painting'? Im just wondering how you decided to mask it off. I got my kit in yesterday and I was going to paint htis weekend but Ill wait and order the spray if its worth it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I really want to see how the Vista Blue looks. I was really thinking about going to Baer front brakes and calipers but they are a lot of $$$. Painting would be much cheaper, then I could just change the rotors.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Jason0279
1st Gear Member

I left the caliper itself still attached to the brake line but hung the brackets form the garage ceiling. I masked the car off around each wheel well.

I was able to hold up the front calipers byusing a piece of wire, one end through one ofthe caliperbolt holes and the other end wrapped around the spring.I had to hold up the rear calipers by hand for each coatby a piece of wire attached through one of the bolt holes - there's no where to tie it up to. In between coats I let it hangbut wrapped the wire around the lower control arm so it wouldn't touch anything.

Masking was minimal - I tried to cover the brake piston as best I could and I masked off the bleeder valve as well as the emergency brake (rear). The Preval sprayer doesn't work like a regular spray gun or a rattle can, the spray only goes about 5 inches at most. No big cloud of spray so it was easy to only paint what I wanted to paint. On the front I really couldn't mask off the pistons so I was just very careful.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures before painting. Sorry!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 AM
drtuba
2nd Gear Member

Jason0279, did you have a chance to take some pics of the newly painted calipers? Im prob going to start mine this week. I ordered the sprayers but am kind of nervous with removing them to spray paint. I may just brush the paint on. (I have limited mechanical experiance)
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

+1 on that although I'll go with blk(G2 Paint)to match my car and rotors.....much cheaper lol
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Jason0279
1st Gear Member

Sorry for not getting to it yesterday. It was raining on and off and I didn't want to take pictures while it was dirty! I'll take some and posttonight regardless of the dirt situation.

- Jason
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Jason0279
1st Gear Member

Okay, pardon the crappy pics. It's raining again so I had to take them in the garage. I'll get better ones as soon as the sun comes back again but I think you can see the color pretty well.

- Jason

Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

how did you paint it with out painting the silver clips and sutch from the pad itself?...

hopefull doing mine this weekend..
thanks for the help
-GTstang
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
drtuba
2nd Gear Member

that looks like it came out REALLY well... I really would like to remove the calipers and spray them, but that makes me really nervous... Do you think it would come out OK by brushing on the paint?

Quick Reply: Matching Caliper Paint - Updated with pics