Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM
jdt141
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)

and (for the newbies like myself) what would the benefits of this driveshaft be?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Awesome write up, any particular reason you went with the Coast 1 piece? Where are they available at? I just don't believe I've heard of the brand and I have been considering this (1 piee DS) as my next mod and would be interested in hearing your reasons for your choice.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: jdt141

and (for the newbies like myself) what would the benefits of this driveshaft be?
less rotating mass=less parasitic loss of hp... more acceleration!!

Taco.... love the fading rocker strip as well...
Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Great Job Tacobill! Thanks forsetting asidetime to take all the pictures during the install.

Sleeper2
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PLstang
Awesome write up, any particular reason you went with the Coast 1 piece? Where are they available at? I just don't believe I've heard of the brand and I have been considering this (1 piee DS) as my next mod and would be interested in hearing your reasons for your choice.
I got the Coast driveshaft and BMR front safety loop package from Tillman Speed. CR (at Tillman Speed) gave me a great price as a package deal.

The 1-piece driveshaft community seems to be split in two. One for the adapter plate (like the one I just installed) and the other for replacing the pinion flange. I'm not going to debate which is better because the point is moot. All I can say is that it boils down to personal preference as both types of driveshafts are extremely reliable andnet about the sameamount of performance.

I wentwith Coast for 2 reasons. One, like I mentioned, was offered to me at a great price. Two, I didn't feel like tearing intomy pinion flange to swap it out (no matter how easy it's supposed to be). I recently had a set of 4.10's installed and it has absolutely no gear whine, groan or moan. I wanted to leave good enough alone and notmess withanything associated withmy perfectly installedgears.

BTW, the runner up driveshaft would've been the Steeda 3.5" aluminum unit, but that would've cost me an additional $200 or so.

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

I agree... with both statements! [8D]
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Great write up, one of those is in my future but for right now i'm done with mods until i can get some more funds saved up
Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

ORIGINAL: PLstang
I got the Coast driveshaft and BMR front safety loop package from Tillman Speed. CR (at Tillman Speed) gave me a great price as a package deal.

The 1-piece driveshaft community seems to be split in two. One for the adapter plate (like the one I just installed) and the other for replacing the pinion flange. I'm not going to debate which is better because the point is moot. All I can say is that it boils down to personal preference as both types of driveshafts are extremely reliable and net about the same amount of performance.

I went with Coast for 2 reasons. One, like I mentioned, was offered to me at a great price. Two, I didn't feel like tearing into my pinion flange to swap it out (no matter how easy it's supposed to be). I recently had a set of 4.10's installed and it has absolutely no gear whine, groan or moan. I wanted to leave good enough alone and not mess with anything associated with my perfectly installed gears.

BTW, the runner up driveshaft would've been the Steeda 3.5" aluminum unit, but that would've cost me an additional $200 or so.

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

I agree... with both statements! [8D]
Well it looks like you really thought out the choice. I will be interested in hearing how the DS performance at speed. We hear so much about Harmonics and such. I think, pending your outcome with your road tests, I may have to add this shaft into contention! Especially if the price is right!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

*NEW UPDATES*

New 0.350" shim is in place along with longer Grade 8 bolts (1 1/2" long) and everything is fine, no riding conditions between the safety loop and MGW shifter block.

Also, I was able to safely turn the MGW shifter block out to 5 turns.

I think I know which e-brake bracket Coast is talking about that needs to be moved 1 1/2" away. It's a small support clip/bracket that supports the e-brake cable that goes to the passenger side brake. On an aggressively lowered car, I can possibly see some clearance issues to the bolt head of that clip/bracket if not re-located.

See pic below for reference.

Took the car out for a short test drive mainly to check for anything wierd (vibrations, etc.). Couldn't open her up on the highway because of traffic, but I went to my secret proving grounds and got up to 80 and no vibrations!

I didn't do any hard 'off the line' launches, but I can tell that it feels lighter under there. Also noticed that the car doesn't engine brake as slowly as it used to (it coasts faster in gear now).

Until I get on it, I can't say with certainty whether or not this was a good cost vs SOTP mod. At worst, it'll look good on my show poster. [8D]

Here's some final install pics.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

secret proving ground, i love it!

that's cool how it coasts better too, definitely an added benefit. you think that, and the easier power transfer would improve fuel economy? i know it'd be only slight, but hey.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Taco Grande!
Love those jack stands.
Sawyour boy under there
helpin with only the floor jack
visable under the pumpkin
and I could not see the jackstands.
It was clifhanger scrolling thru
the pics looking for jackstands.
Lo and behold, there they are.
Whew weee. Gotta love Taco.

Quick Reply: Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)