Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Mark-Ups

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:22 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default Dealer Mark-Ups

I e-mailed a dealer in the Maryland area today seeing if they can help me locate an 05 GT because I am going to be in that area in a few weeks on business. I was hoping they would be able to locate one and I would drive it back home.

Here is what they responded with:

"I would love to assist you with your Mustang GT purchase. However, they are
in large demand and in short quantity. We currently have a $5000.00 over
MSRP sticker on our vehicles in stock. We had three and sold all three over
President's Day weekend. We can order one for you and the price would be
MSRP, but you are going to run into the same problem with time. We are not
expecting any on our lot for approximately two months. And on an order it
would be even longer. "

This was at Koons Ford. So I guess the problem of trying to get one quickly is not going to happen for a long time to come. Probably at least until the 06 models hit the lots. Going on week 16 and still don't know any more than I did when the order was placed. I keep on telling the dealer that I am going to get an 06 at the price of the original 05. If this keeps up, I guess I will.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:18 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Dealer Mark-Ups

Koons? are you in the dc area? i was asking at ted britt and they were saying $2,000 markup on GTs. Even ones you order. The ones on their lot IF they have them, are still only 2k markup. Ted Britt sux though. NEVER buy from them.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Earl
1st Gear Member

Guess it depends on the dealer/location. Last time I was at mine this week checking on my Shaker order they had 5 or 6 GT's - black, windveil blue, redfire, white....all MSRP.
North Central Ford - Richardson, TX

Earl
Old 02-26-2005, 03:36 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

wow.. they can't stay on the lot more than a day around here if they get extras on the lot. 05 v6s are everywhere on lots.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:41 PM
JC74
2nd Gear Member

Here's what I did maybe it will help you out. I went to the ford website, built the car I wanted and when it asked for 'request quote from a dealer', I sent it to all the dealerships listed for that zip code. In the comments section at the bottom I told them to get me their best offer in an email only. I also told them they were competing for my business with a lot of other dealerships so serious offers only.

I then went back to the beginning, input a new zip code built the same vehicle, and requested a quote from all the dealerships from that zip code with the same message. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT give your real phone number or mailing address. Only give a real email. This leaves them only email to communicate to you the offer.

This does 2 things:

1. Keeps you from driving all over town wasting entire afternoons haggling over a price only to be strong armed into a crappy deal.

2. Gives YOU the buyer the bargaining leverage not the dealer.

Keep good notes when the offers start coming in. I had 9 offers from a 50 mile radius of my home. The offers ranged from $500 over MSRP to $2000 below MSRP. Which do you think I chose? That's right I bought from the small dealership out in the middle of nowhere that offered me $2000 below MSRP for my fully loaded GT!

I did had some dealerships ask "Well what's your best offer so far?". I politely told them that was my business and they needed to focus on their best offer.

The dealership I bought from made roughly $450 profit from my purchase which is fair in my opinion.

Here is the link to the Ford website to start your build
http://www3.forddirect.fordvehicles....ord&partner=fv

Remember you hold all the cards! Don't settle for sticker.[sm=shades.gif]
Old 02-26-2005, 07:08 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

agreed.. I was given 1500 under msrp though the internet. I tried to talk to the dealers.. but they were a complete A@@. Make them work for your $$
Old 02-26-2005, 07:14 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

They made more than $450 off your car. Dealers don't really pay invoice. I was going to sell cars for awhile and trust me they pay much less than invoice. You got a good deal though. I had to pay sticker for mine. $29,940 fully loaded.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

No, in the St. Louis but I am going to the DC area on business and was willing to drive home.

ORIGINAL: nanaki

Koons? are you in the dc area? i was asking at ted britt and they were saying $2,000 markup on GTs. Even ones you order. The ones on their lot IF they have them, are still only 2k markup. Ted Britt sux though. NEVER buy from them.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:02 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I serached that area and there are alot of GT's in that area but they are all the premium model. I don't want leather. They are all MSRP because there are about 4 or 5 dozen GT's in that area along. Looks like they flooded that area but are starving the rest of the country.

ORIGINAL: Earl

Guess it depends on the dealer/location. Last time I was at mine this week checking on my Shaker order they had 5 or 6 GT's - black, windveil blue, redfire, white....all MSRP.

Earl
Old 02-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Earl
1st Gear Member

Yep, they are all premiums. Can't say I've seen or heard of a deluxe GT here. Also, 98% or more are manuals. A fellow I work with takes delivery of an Automatic GT this week - he ordered it back in November. I got mine on my lunch hour one day. It had been an order but someones financing fell through. Bad luck for them but good for me as it is pretty loaded.

Earl

ORIGINAL: 05GrayGT

I serached that area and there are alot of GT's in that area but they are all the premium model. I don't want leather. They are all MSRP because there are about 4 or 5 dozen GT's in that area along. Looks like they flooded that area but are starving the rest of the country.

ORIGINAL: Earl

Earl

Quick Reply: Dealer Mark-Ups