Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit

You can draw 2A if you raise the voltage.

I figured I'd try them out, since at least there are some actual pics of an install. If my car turns into an inferno....well who cares. Life sucks anyhow.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

ORIGINAL: jaguarking11

Can I please ask why?

People seem to convert their cars to these crappy bulbs. I do allot of nite driving and the most anoying thing is the hid users. I am sorry but this is purely anoying.
these aren't your ricer replacement bulbs. its a whole ballast setup. The annoying ones are the ones who usually cant aim their headlights. but then again, you do NOTICE the HID users right? I want to be noticed at night primarily for safety reasons. i dont want anyone to sideswipe me or tunnel-vision me out. I could care less for what other drivers see or think as long as they know where i am and not hit me.

Also, another safety reason, to see better at night. You should really see the difference yourself on how much more u could see at night. I feel safer driving at night with them also. After having bought my TL that comes with factory HIDs, i couldnt stand regular halogen lighting anymore and converted all the cars to HIDs.

Dont mistaken the pictures for the excessive glare. In reality, its not glarey much at all. Glare is what blinds oncoming traffic.
The problem is that even factory hid's bother me. I would say you are increasing the danger. I almost sideswiped a car on a narror road because of hid's. It was hard to tell where the light was coming and what sized vehicle it was. The thing ended up being two inches off my mirror.

To each their own, I personaly cant stand those dam things. Life is so much easier at nite withought geting drivers tearing every time you come up on one and or pass by one.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tube

Does anyone realize these probably aren't 55w and are false adverts?

You can't draw under 2A at automotive voltages, and still be 55w.
read the post # 11. it makes sense.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

No... that doesn't make sense.

If they are marketing this as a "55W halogen light output equivalent" then it makes sense.

Marketing them a 55W HID system is false.

They seem like OKAY HID's, but they shouldn't have to lie about their power draw.

You would have to draw 27.5V to have 55W at 2A. Last time I checked, automotive voltages were at MAX around 14v.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I'll provide an unbiased review when I get my set from them.
Pics as well for all those interested
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Hey ChiDiddy,
I assume there wern't any of the problems I have read about with other kits with relays and "strobing headlights"? Are you saying the kit for our Mustangs, H13 bulbs,Bi-Xenon 6000K is down to $180 for Christmas? It's getting harder and harder NOT to order . This guy is going to kill the other sellers.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

strobing effect usually comes from a lot of things. crap relay, wobbly bulb that is not secured, loose wiring, bad ground, etc etc.

installed correctly, you should not have any of these issues, and i dont have any with any of his kits (i have a total of 4 kits, plus 5 of my other friends who also run them). its a very simple install too. Todd has been selling many HID kits over the years. He always rids of the older setups and finds newer and better products. He always backs the products he sells.

14.4v to be exact. I emailed Todd to come in and answer your question about it already.

and to those who may think i'm having something gain from this review, i am not. i only wanted to share a great HID kit that beats the other crap kits i've seen sold here and other places. I've installed many kits for locals on many different cars and these are my favorite. I am trying not to sound biased but i may be a bit, and i can't help it b/c its such a great setup.

The only other thing that can beat aftermarket kits is the OEM HID setup, from which its reflector bowl is based and made for HID use, preventing glare, and a retrofit, in which a OEM HID projector is fitted into the stock headlight.

Yes, what you are looking for is the High output 55w H13, bixenon. The kelvin rating is entirely up to your personal preference. 6000k is the best imo. 5000k is like factory HID color, almost 4300k. 8000k....i dont like.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 AM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

I would think that the 55 watt would be just too bright and blind all on coming traffic. A 35 watt HID kit is already producing 2 to 3 times the amount of light a stock bulb does. I'm thinking of getting the 35 and that should be good enough.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Well Hello all! I'll keep this brief as we are still inquiring to vendor status here on the forums.
ChiDiddy, thanks for directing me here, glad to help anyone out with questions. Glad to hear you are enjoying the kits as well!
Credit to "tube" for picking up wattage, you are absolutely correct given the evidence that surrounds you, however not all vehicles are 12v. The ballasts,can operate on less than 2A current, actually the 35w can go almost to 1.5A on a 24v vehicle (they are 12v and 24v capable). The 55w will derate to about 35w before low voltage/low current protection shuts them off in that case. Not that we have a lot of 24v customers, but there are some we cater to. On a 12v system, you could figure 2.5A for 35w and <4A for 55w given 13.8v-14v input which is common for a 12v system under alternator charge. They are indeed a 55w system though.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Ok so are HID's similer to fluorescents?

If so then WOW the stock incandescent lights are 55/60(I guess thats 55w low/60 High)
that would be like what I did with the ceiling lights in my room (replace a 100W incandescent with 2x23W and 2x27W fluorescent)

Gotta add this to my mod list

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit