Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather vs cloth

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Jtiblier

Default leather vs cloth

I found a dealer who will let me order my GT with no deposit and no obligation
I want the opinon of the group, leather or cloth, feel free to let me know anything. Even old stories
Old 03-14-2005, 12:38 PM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: leather vs cloth

Order cloth, then order a set of leather interior from katzkin. Usually the dealer can order it and install it. You choose your color combination and it is better quality. See my sig for a link to my car page and then scroll down to see my katzkin interior. I am very happy.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Those look nice, rednblack, except they're way too shiny. I think I would've went with the black on red instead of red on black interior. How much did it cost? It's probably still cheaper to get the factory installed leather.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i hate cloth. i made it a point not to get my GT in cloth. i could have actually gotten a car with the 40th ann package with leather interior for like $500 cheaper than mine. i can't stand leather though. it's just so uncomfortable to me. that and the fact it's freezing in the winter and burning in the summer. [:@]
Old 03-14-2005, 01:02 PM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Those look nice, rednblack, except they're way too shiny. I think I would've went with the black on red instead of red on black interior. How much did it cost? It's probably still cheaper to get the factory installed leather.
Yes they are shiny. I had just treated them in that picture. They are around 1100.00 installed but they are really good quality and I was able to negotiate to have it added by the dealer as part of the deal. I got them down about 2500 on the price of the car and got them to throw in the cost of the leather from Katzkin.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 PM
scootsbrew
1st Gear Member

I like the feel and comfort of leather over cloth. I just think there's more upside with the leather. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Jtiblier

Nice... but is the stock 05 leather any good? I read a post called "long story" and that guy got bent over and done dry by the dealer.[:'(]
so... if he could reply to this and let me know whats up, jatiblier@gmail.com
Old 03-14-2005, 04:41 PM
scootsbrew
1st Gear Member

I'm not that guy but I've had mine since last december with no issues at all. I haven't even treated mine yet. (yes I know I need to do this) but no problems so far.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
BradC
1st Gear Member

I have leather on mine but for me the issue wasn't about choosing between cloth or leather. My wife didn't find the stock seats in the V6 to be very comfortable. So we upgraded to the sport buckets (which are much more comfortable) but they only come in leather. I didn't especially want leather, but I wanted my wife to not hate the car.

I guess I should treat the leather too, I hadn't even thought about that since I've never had leather seats before.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:26 PM
MorningCruiser

ORIGINAL: BradC

I have leather on mine but for me the issue wasn't about choosing between cloth or leather. My wife didn't find the stock seats in the V6 to be very comfortable. So we upgraded to the sport buckets (which are much more comfortable) but they only come in leather. I didn't especially want leather, but I wanted my wife to not hate the car.

I guess I should treat the leather too, I hadn't even thought about that since I've never had leather seats before.
Don't be a Corvette owner.

If you read Corvette forums, they all whine and bitch and complain about their leather cracking (there have been reports of the new C6s having their leather crack after just a few months, even when it is conditioned weekly), and to be honest... You should only need to do it a few times in the first few months and after that the leather should be supple enough to be fine. The leather in my truck has been treated three times and it's a 1998, once when the dealership got it in, once when the first owner bought it, and once when I bought it. In the four years since I've bought it, it's stayed just as soft and supple as it was when I got it.

Leather isn't high maintanence like everyone thinks it is. The higher the quality the leather, the less work it needs done. So respectively (don't start flaming based on this, it's a common fact that the leather sources go in this order), GM leather needs more maintanence (even in a vette) than Ford leather, and Ford leather needs more maintanence than DC (Daimler Chrysler) leather.

GM uses rather cheap leather, though their leather seat options usually make Dodge and Ford options look dirt cheap. Ford leather is higher quality, but they have this bad habit of cheaping out and not using leather on the entire seat (like the new Mustang).

One thing I don't understand is, why is it only on the special red leather interior that the back seat is actually full leather? On all the rest, it's leatherette and the back of the buckets are leatherette too... Only the sitting surface of the seat is real leather in the Mustang... With the red leather interior, the back of the buckets is STILL leatherette, and the back seats are now actually leather.

Quick Reply: leather vs cloth