Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cai/tune expectations too high??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cai/tune expectations too high??

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

yes i did.....ran three tanks beforehand. also, i had a bad experience with the install, all my fault. this could have taken some of the luster off of the experience as well lol
Maybe if you know some other local guys with S197's and mod fever you could switch out and try their car while they try yours?
It might give you a chance to try other Brenspeed Tunes and maybe a couple of other Tuners as well.
Without experiencing your car its really hard to say. It would never hurt to try Brent and see what he suggest.
He might email you another file thats more aggressive (at least in feel).
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

so can brent simply adjust the "throttle response"?? sorry, i'm still a little green
Old 12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

My suggestion is, put the SCT in..."Return to Stock". Try to "Peel Out". Then, reinstall the Brenspeed 93 Tune...Now try the same thing, if you don't smoke the tires immediately....then something is wrong, and you should call B-Speed.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

My suggestion is, put the SCT in..."Return to Stock". Try to "Peel Out". Then, reinstall the Brenspeed 93 Tune...Now try the same thing, if you don't smoke the tires immediately....then something is wrong, and you should call B-Speed.
Good advice
Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

People tend to exaggerate a bit so be careful how you interpret things. You should definitely feel a difference but not on aSUPERCHARGER level difference. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

ok, so you think that when guys say "it's like a whole new car"!!! and all that.....that maybe they're exaggerating? causei can def feel the power increase, just not mind blowing lol!!
i just didn't know if sometimes tunes need to be tweaked, although i don't have many mods.

oh and i get a substantial increase in mpg
Yes somtimes tunes need to be tweaked. However without a dyno with datalogging,
or at least a datalog from the car on the street I dont know if he could do anything there.
This however would primarily be for bhp though. Just making sure AFR is right and its not pulling timing.

If its primarily a response issue I dont see why he couldnt make the driver demand tables more aggressive.

Ilikethat now when you tip into the throttle it feels like it has some oats.
Thesame when I hammer a gearshift it doesnt close the TB on me anymore.
When I blip the throttle the rpm jumps NOW! Just a short tickle gets the rpm up to match downshifts.
BeforeI had to give a about three times the throttle for twice as long.

You do have a 93 Oct Tune dont you?

Brenspeed tune is the best and definetley doesn't need to be adjusted for crying out loud.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

so can brent simply adjust the "throttle response"?? sorry, i'm still a little green
The Throttle body is electronicie "Drive By Wire". As long as their are no limitations in the PCM.
They could program it where the slighest twitch gave 100% Full Throttle Body Opening.
That might be just a wee bit extreme.

If you feel Throttle Response is less than you were expecting just call up Brent and tell him you are unhappy with the
throttle response. He should be able to email you afile with more aggressive response (ie opens the throttle body more for early part of throttle travel). I know that sounds like a trick but even carb engines have non-linear response because of the design of the throttle linkage which was more aggressive on a 428CJ Mustang than a 462 Lincoln. Just download the free software from SCT to manipulate the program and load the new tune on your SCT Xcal2 using a std USB Cable from your PC.

If after a couple of tries you are still not happy talk to some of the other tuners, some of them have even been known to offer to let you try their tune for free. If you dont like it dont pay for it (Please guys if you get this offer from a tuner dont abuse it. If you like it and run it pay for it).

But if communication is there I dont think there is anything the others can do Brent cant and he is well known for his customer service.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

ORIGINAL: Gene K

ok, so you think that when guys say "it's like a whole new car"!!! and all that.....that maybe they're exaggerating? causei can def feel the power increase, just not mind blowing lol!!
i just didn't know if sometimes tunes need to be tweaked, although i don't have many mods.

oh and i get a substantial increase in mpg
Yes somtimes tunes need to be tweaked. However without a dyno with datalogging,
or at least a datalog from the car on the street I dont know if he could do anything there.
This however would primarily be for bhp though. Just making sure AFR is right and its not pulling timing.

If its primarily a response issue I dont see why he couldnt make the driver demand tables more aggressive.

Ilikethat now when you tip into the throttle it feels like it has some oats.
Thesame when I hammer a gearshift it doesnt close the TB on me anymore.
When I blip the throttle the rpm jumps NOW! Just a short tickle gets the rpm up to match downshifts.
BeforeI had to give a about three times the throttle for twice as long.

You do have a 93 Oct Tune dont you?

Brenspeed tune is the best and definetley doesn't need to be adjusted for crying out loud.
So your saying every mailorder tune he does will be exactly 12.9-13.0:1 AFR on the Dyno, Every car will take exactly the same amount of timing, and every person in the world likes the exact same throttle response. Some how I dont think Brent would agree.
Actually I think he would say no two cars or drivers are exactly alike. I bet he would even admit to one or two heck maybe even three mistakes in his life.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Gene....thanks for the explanation and the help!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I’m running a Brenspeed 93 octane configuration with a stock air intake and air filter and it makes a huge difference compared to stock.

Quick Reply: cai/tune expectations too high??