Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen series 6 twin screw blower now avalible!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default Saleen series 6 twin screw blower now avalible!

I just talked to Saleen, and their series 6 twin screw blower is now avalible as a kit. The price is $4999 for the complete kit, and that includes everything. The price of the kit is reasonable, and utilizes a dual heat exchanger system. I believe they are the only company putting out a twin screw with this dual intercooler system. As of right now, I would say that anyone considering a blower should look into this unit. Because of its dual heat exchanger system, this unit will be A LOT more efficient than a Kenne Bell or Whipple. For the $, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:27 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen series 6 twin screw blower now avalible!

What are the specs on this blower?

Also, is this for only the manual tranny at this time?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:37 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Actually the Saleen website (www.saleen.com) has the specs. Its a 2.3L sc. Full specs are located here: "http://commerce.saleen.com/Catalog.aspx?sendingPageType=Default"

Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I was just goona say. 2.3l. It has a lot more potential than the 1.7 series 4 in the 04's. Pretty damn capable blower. The E car is getting an even bigger blower than that.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

I was just goona say. 2.3l. It has a lot more potential than the 1.7 series 4 in the 04's. Pretty damn capable blower. The E car is getting an even bigger blower than that.

I got a question because I still don't know enough about superchargers. I would assume that the size 2.3L as apposed to a 1.7L would be like a T4 vs. a T66 turbo correct? Thus there would be less efficiency from a 2.3l at low boost pressures and more "lag" though people like to say superchargers don't have lag I know they do. But it would have the capacity to create more boost correct?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:02 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

I don't know much about SC's so I have a stupid question. I am very interested in some high performance upgrades but how do they affect your milage? Now it's not my #1 concern or anything but at the same time if I went from 20-27 mpg to 8-12 mpg I would not even think about doing this to my car. It is my daily driver and I want it to stay that way. Would a turbo effect the efficiency less?

I'm NOT asking which is better, I'm simply asking if you compare a good turbo and SC that would each give another 100 hp which one would affect the mpg less.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I got a question because I still don't know enough about superchargers. I would assume that the size 2.3L as apposed to a 1.7L would be like a T4 vs. a T66 turbo correct? Thus there would be less efficiency from a 2.3l at low boost pressures and more "lag" though people like to say superchargers don't have lag I know they do. But it would have the capacity to create more boost correct?
The size of the blower is in litres. It would be a similar comparison to the turbos you mentioned, but it wouldn't be any less efficient than the smaller one. The 2.3 needs to be spun faster to make, say, 8 psi compared to a 1.7, but at 8 psi it will be doing more volume than the 1.7 and making more hp. The big thing about the bigger blower is it has a bigger boost potential than the smaller unit. Twin screw blowers have no lag at all, as long as they are spinning fast enough -instant power at the hit. If you spin a 1.7 unit to around 14 psi,(its maximum), the boost will come in sooner compared to running a 2.3 unit at 14 psi. One factor of efficiency is heat. At 14 psi, the 1.7 unit will be less efficient than the 2.3 at 14 psi, because it will be spinning faster and creating a warmer air charge.
I don't know much about SC's so I have a stupid question. I am very interested in some high performance upgrades but how do they affect your milage? Now it's not my #1 concern or anything but at the same time if I went from 20-27 mpg to 8-12 mpg I would not even think about doing this to my car. It is my daily driver and I want it to stay that way. Would a turbo effect the efficiency less?

I'm NOT asking which is better, I'm simply asking if you compare a good turbo and SC that would each give another 100 hp which one would affect the mpg less.
Technically, the turbo is more efficient simply because it is exhaust driven vs beld driven. -But, you fuel economy in a boosted car is directly connected to how heavy your right foot is. If you don't load up the engine, your fuel economy is almost normal. On the freeway, your economy will be nearly the same as without a poweradder, as long as you aren't using boost.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:31 AM
samckernan

Where is the belt?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:51 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dajohu

Thanks
You're getting 20 - 27 mpg?!?! I am on my 3rd tank of gas and only have 700 miles on mine!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Yea.. my fat baby loves to eat

Quick Reply: Saleen series 6 twin screw blower now avalible!