Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Plugs keep fouling out. Need some help

couldnt find anything better at the time. jebus
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
Dex
5th Gear Member

something may not be grounded right,maybe...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #23
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

This is how you take a pic of a spark plug. I couldn't tell anything by your picture. According to my dyno run my car is running rich at 10.8 to 1. If your car won't idle then you must have a vacuum leak or some other problem. Maybe it's as simple as your idle rpms are set to low.

Click the image to open in full size.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #24
LTMGlobal
Banned

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Dex

I change my plugs and the car starts a few times but runs lean. I come back a few days later and now the car wont start again and the plugs look the same as the last ones. Im wondering if they can go bad that quickly from being too lean? This is the best picture I could get. It almost looks like oil on it too...but there are new pistons and rings so how could that happen?

[IMG]local://upfiles/64043/83F27A8A7288448790ED4EFA54B43580.jpg[/IMG]
New pistons and rings? Who did the build? How many miles since the new parts? Was that first 20 - 30 minutes of running the engine done properly? How do you KNOW you are running lean? You sure your head gaskets sealed? Are all the plugs the same when this happens? Have you checked compression on all cylinders to be sure they are all close to the same?
LTMGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #25
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 04" Ford Mustang GT

DSG 04" GT, 5 spd - P1SC Procharger 9 lbs - Anderson Power Pipe - 385 rwhp 329 rwtq - Dyno tuned by Performance Dyno - SLP LMII - Bassini X pipe - 3:73 FRRP - Eibach Pro-Kit - Nittos/ Staggerd on 18" GT500 Black chrome wheels - Seq turn - Steeda Short Shifter - Mach 1 grill delete & chin spoiler - Autometer boost & fuel press gauges - Shorty antenna - Smoked head & tail lights - 5K HIDs
FrostByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #26
Dex
5th Gear Member

compression was checked. no miles on the motor...maybe .00001 miles from starting it. AFR is reading 16 and when i would rev it the AFR would drop to 15's. All the plugs are the same. Dont know why the gaskets wouldnt be sealed...

Im going to check the ground strap tonight because thats all i can think of. Idle wont ruin spark plugs
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #27
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: moosestang

This is how you take a pic of a spark plug. I couldn't tell anything by your picture. According to my dyno run my car is running rich at 10.8 to 1. If your car won't idle then you must have a vacuum leak or some other problem. Maybe it's as simple as your idle rpms are set to low.

Click the image to open in full size.

Almost make me get a woody just looking at it. You got anti seize on your threads. Shame on you.

O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #28
LTMGlobal
Banned

So this is all happening during intitial startup after having the motor apart and replacing internal parts?

Has the engine run long enough for you to properly heat cycle it?

The oil on the plugs (a very small amount) wouldn't worry me a ton just yet - give the rings time to seat.

Get a good tune on that thing - the first several runs on that engine can have a huge impact on reliablity and power later on.
LTMGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
Dex
5th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LTMGlobal

So this is all happening during intitial startup after having the motor apart and replacing internal parts?

Has the engine run long enough for you to properly heat cycle it?
Yes

Nope

Hoping its a ground problem because then that will be easy haha the car is CURSED!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #30
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 GT Mustang

I dont what Mod's you have. But your air fuel mixture should be in the 12's to be running safe. At 15 or 16 your running so lean your going to melt your plugs. Your air fuel mixture shouldn't spike at high RPM's if it's tuned properly.
05 GT Mustang,Auto, Dark Mineral Gray.NOS,Added stripes and Hood scoop,Steeda pulleys,SCT Tuner,Brenspeed tune,TCI stall,Coast DS,AEM Induction,Sequential tailights,410s,Kooks LT,Heads & Comp cam stg II.
Mpaint99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, 2007, 50, 89, faueling, ford, fouling, fuel, gt, mustaing, mustang, plugs, roush, spark, sparks